The Man Of Sorrows

How good is The Man of Sorrows on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A solid, very emotional song that still hasn't clicked with me completely. It's another well-composed track from Murray, although as usual, the riffs don't always sound compatible. Honestly, this sounds like The Man Who Would Be King, Take Two (and a much, much better song at that). But there's one thing that bugs me:

...will we ever again get a song written by Dave Murray that doesn't open with a completely disconnected-from-the-rest-of-the-song, moody, bluesy solo section? I get it, I like it, but come on, Davey, have some variety with your intros.

Daves best slow intro solo is fates warning off NPFTD

This one is about the same level as Deja vu

BNW, nomad, enema, judas, chains, rainmaker...

But yeah, at least half of them have "The Intro"

Personally, I really lament the fact that we don't get more Davey compositions generally. I want to see Maiden mix the songwriting partnering up a lot more; Davey writing with someone other than Steve would be pretty interesting. I'm not tired of "the intro" you guys speak of at all; that seems a fairly minor grumble, when you consider how awesome the rest of the song is. His songs are a breath of fresh air & I always find them more interesting than some of Maiden's more conventional album songs.

This song, I love. Davey solo album please.

Personally, I really lament the fact that we don't get more Davey compositions generally. I want to see Maiden mix the songwriting partnering up a lot more; Davey writing with someone other than Steve would be pretty interesting. I'm not tired of "the intro" you guys speak of at all; that seems a fairly minor grumble, when you consider how awesome the rest of the song is. His songs are a breath of fresh air & I always find them more interesting than some of Maiden's more conventional album songs.

This song, I love. Davey solo album please.

Don't bite my head off but I don't think Dave has enough versatility in his playing for a solo album. However, he has only ever played with maiden so maybe he has abilities that we don't know about, maybe he does have a solo album in him. Would much prefer an Adrian solo album though

Don't bite my head off but I don't think Dave has enough versatility in his playing for a solo album. However, he has only ever played with maiden so maybe he has abilities that we don't know about, maybe he does have a solo album in him.
His ability is pretty self-evident, but maybe an album is indeed beyond him. An album is about songwriting though, not playing. I find his songwriting interesting. Could he put it all together himself though? I think that would probably be his problem.
Would much prefer an Adrian solo album though
You've got one of them.

Murray is a great guitarist with some good ideas, but his strength lies in playing. He's a player. He's not a writer. He is one of the most naturally melodic, effortless players out there, but I really don't think he has the songwriting prowess to do a whole solo album.

This one took me like 2 weeks to start growing. On the first 2 weeks, I used to skip it pretty often. I don't skip it anymore now, but it's far from being my favorite Dave song and I consider this one to be one of the worst songs on the album, along with TGU. It doesn't mean it's a bad song, because this album is very strong for me. It's a good song with good moments, but there are parts of this song that are too melancholic for me, too dark. From 02:26 to 02:42, as example. That's kinda disturbing for me, and I know it is supposed to be like that, but it just doesn't work for me. I don't like the chorus very much, either. Again, too melancholic. I love pretty much everything after the first chorus, though. These parts are classic Maiden for me.

So yes, at first I gave it a 6/10 on some other thread and now I would give it a 7/10.

Last edited:
I feel about this one the way I do about the Davey & Arry song from the last album, The Man Who Would Be King: pretty uninspiring, until it gets to the instrumental section in the middle. Both tracks have very mediocre verses and relatively memorable choruses, but it's the ethereal solo sections that shine. The Man of Sorrows instrumental part is Davey at his best. The solo itself is great. Also the outro is outstanding.

This song wins the award for best surprise on the album. Given the track record of songs by Dave and Steve, I was expecting something good but probably not among my favorites. I was wrong and this definitely sits in my top 3 for the album. The way this song builds gives me chills. It goes from being a simple ballad to a really intense rocker with heavy lyrics. I like how with each stanza the song gets a little bit heavier. It doesn't randomly go from soft to loud like a lot of TFF does, it takes its time to get there which makes it all more rewarding. When it finally builds to the chorus, it's intense. The whole song has this really sinister vibe, it's all so unsettling and never really resolves itself. The chorus is one of my favorites and also has really thoughtful lyrics. Very melancholy tune and a perfect appetizer before the immense Empire of the Clouds.

I was very curious about this one and it was even one of my early highlights... during the first listen. Nowadays it just sounds to me like a more down-to-earth, more tired MWWBK, very incoherent, very unmemorable, very pointless. I hate the change at 2:25 and the whole part from around 2:00 on. The solos are meh too, even Janick's. The song that never fails to make me realise TBoS actualy is a bit bloated as an album.

5/10. Sorry, Foro, Mosh and Cried.

I never tire of those gorgeous Davey intros, and this one is so beautifully sad.
And Bruce's performance on the opening melody is so beautifully sad as well.

Don't get those who see the transition to the faster part as awkward. Works fine for me. Sadness to muted, bleak frustration to a melancholy chorus that introduces the first wisps of, if not promise, at least acceptance.

I can't get enough of the signature riff, introduced at 3:35 and the way it is punctuated by Nicko and how it slides into more beautiful sadness from Davey, a rawer bit from H, and - after a brief chorus repeat - and some soul scraping stuff from Jan.

I'm not so sure about the way the end just kinds of implodes in on itself, but I do like its general feel, and the progressive structure of the strong.

Another great lyric from Steve - maybe you have to be little more world-worn like me to appreciate it - and, like Tears, a mature, unexpected direction that is nailed by the band.

Don't bite my head off but I don't think Dave has enough versatility in his playing for a solo album. However, he has only ever played with maiden so maybe he has abilities that we don't know about, maybe he does have a solo album in him. Would much prefer an Adrian solo album though

I think he would rather play golf

No Prayer For the Dying with a third guitarist. 5/10, completely forgettable in every way.

I literally had to put the track on to remember it, my brain kept trying to play the Bruce track. And I just spun the album yesterday.

That's how it sounds to me. Sure, with a bit more spit and polish, but it wouldn't feel out of sorts on that particular album, sans keyboards.

Back