1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Man Of Sorrows

Discussion in 'The Book of Souls' started by SinisterMinisterX, Aug 22, 2015.

?

How good is The Man of Sorrows on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

15.2%
  2. 9

17.4%
  3. 8

23.9%
  4. 7

19.6%
  5. 6

15.2%
  6. 5

4.3%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

2.2%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.2%
  1. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Your opinion totally sucks.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Night Prowler likes this.
  2. Poto

Poto Ancient Mariner

This song has grown a lot on me, but it still feels like something isn't right. I enjoy it, I think some of the parts are great, but the sum of the parts doesn't make a great song. It's a weird one. It's again a little different for Maiden, and I hope they do more songs like this in the future. If it clicks, it's bound to be special.

7/10

3. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Love the first couple of minutes, I'm a big fan of the bluesy intros! But then there's that weird key change at 2.25. That and the other dreamy keyboard section toward the end really bog this down. (Anyone else think the keyboards are too prominent on the album full stop?)

4. Eddieson

Eddieson Nomad

Probably the weirdest track on the album. The key changes are very weird, and I'm torn if I think it works or not. I really love the experimenting thou. Earliest in the tracklist this song would totally kill the flow, but here ist works, and I appreciate it being on the album. Bruce's articulation bothers me thou, I really struggle to hear what he is saying. Im in-between a 6 and 7 for this, but in the end of the day I like the ideas going on and the parts are really cool, so I will give it a....

7/10

5. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

7/10

The Man of Sorrows starts off nicely enough with (surprise, surprise) a haunting, mournful Murray guitar lead over a simple arpeggio. Bruce’s voice sounds phenomenal here and everything is looking great until the full band kicks in. The Man of Sorrows is not a bad song, but it’s definitely the worst on the album. The verse from 1:55-2:25 is shameful: it’s one note, over and over and over again, with Bruce sounding constricted because there’s nowhere for the melody to go. The next chord choice is bizarre and the vocal laid over it feels misplaced, as does the change at 3:18. Dave Murray wrote this song and, like some Murray-penned songs in the past, it seems like he doesn’t care much for music theory. The transitions are awkward. Solos are once again awesome, but by this point the song has lost my interest. It’s too plodding and random to reach greatness, despite a killer performance by Bruce. The ending is just as nice as the intro, however, and at least takes things out on a strong note.

6. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

Lots of people apparently love the ending, but I'm kind of 'it's cool' to the whole thing. That said, I love the intro, and the song as a whole is great. Quite possibly a highlight of the album. 8/10.

7. Dentura

Dentura Invader

Another underrated David Murray contribution. The introductory solo is very melodic and soulful. Bruce Dickinson matches that with another emotionally charged performance of his own. The riff work in the rest of the song is catchy and easy to bob my head/tap my foot to. The use of modulation is also lovely and gives almost a psychedelic flavor to the sound. This song deserves more attention I think, unless Dave prefers to keep his pieces the hidden gems on their respective albums, similar to Still Life on Piece of Mind, DejaVu on Somewhere In Time and The Prophecy on Seventh Son. 8.5/10 (which i'll round up to a 9)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017