The Book Of Souls sounds so much better on vinyl (Videos)

Any chance you might consider doing similar vids for the other songs on the album? I've listened to those two about a million times each. Far preferable to the CD version. I checked out my vinyl version last night on my g/f's Technics record player but I don't know if it needs a new cartridge or if her speakers are just rubbish but it didn't sound good at all :(

Any chance you might consider doing similar vids for the other songs on the album? I've listened to those two about a million times each. Far preferable to the CD version. I checked out my vinyl version last night on my g/f's Technics record player but I don't know if it needs a new cartridge or if her speakers are just rubbish but it didn't sound good at all

Yes I'll be doing more videos of the other songs as soon as I have time... but if you want the transfer I made of the whole album on vinyl, you can download it here:

Mod edit: sorry, no filesharing links.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to say that if burning a vinyl rip to CD sounds just as good as the vinyl, why couldn't they have made the CD that's out now sound just as good in the first place?

Yes but this sounds like a rookie mistake (not that I know much about production and mastering, but we all can hear it)
It's not just using a compressor to make it louder like the 80's remasters, it's just inferior in every way

Bought both and ripped the cd right away, and I think it works really well when walking to work and such, wouldn't appriciate the difference under the circumstances anyway.
But sitting at home with some good equipment, it's very nice to have the vinyl instead. I think they did a good job with both versions, actually.

This is what I think they should do. Hey - how expensive pressing of CD can be? What about giving us four CDs instead of two? One pair would contain "travel mix" - a bit compressed, let's say DR7 or DR8 - still listenable, but loud, and the second pair would contain "audiophile mix" - it's not the fault of CDs that lots of records sound terrible, it's the fault of mastering engineers or how these people are called. This I would call a nice offer.

This is what I think they should do. Hey - how expensive pressing of CD can be? What about giving us four CDs instead of two? One pair would contain "travel mix" - a bit compressed, let's say DR7 or DR8 - still listenable, but loud, and the second pair would contain "audiophile mix" - it's not the fault of CDs that lots of records sound terrible, it's the fault of mastering engineers or how these people are called. This I would call a nice offer.

I have a record from a Swedish underground artist with that solution, I think it's a great idea.

Everything is clearer, especially the guitars! If you have both versions in your music player then put your headphones on and skip between the same parts of songs. The difference is pretty huge. Makes me realise that it might not have been the mix that spoiled the CD version for me as much as the mastering...

Hello!!!
(Sorry if I'm gross to ask this in my first message)

I'm a french fan of Maiden (since I'm 5 years old, thanks to my brother), and I currently enjoy the CD version Book of Souls!! A great album, although I'm not a fan of the 'production/mix' since BNW, it's definitely a great album!!

I heard about this better quality of the vinyl version a few days ago, and I'm very very interested in! I have a vinyl turntable at home, but not of sufficient quality to really appreciate the vinyl benefits compared to CD.
Therefore, I would like to know if it's possible that one of you guys provide me a link to get the version that Earendil Ancient Mariner posted? (MP?)

Thank you very much for your help!! It would be great if I could enjoy this album in best quality!!...before I see it live this weekend (can't wait!)

Up the Irons!!!!!

EDIT: I finally got it, thank you EAM!!!

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but I have to says that after listening the vinyl version, the difference is F****ING amazing!! :cheers:
It's huge how the Bruce's voice is far better "mixed" inside the guitar and bass, which seems to be slightly clearer too! Everything is clearer overall and more powerful. This is obvious on "When The River Runs Deep" and "Shadows of the Valley".
If I let me go I would say this version sounds a little bit closer to the old mixes of Martin Birch times! Makes me feel a bit sad about how this man retired so young...
Definitely a pity that the CD master is lame compared to that!
But thank you for allowed me to hear this!
(Now I have to check vinyl version of other 2000's albums, especially after the dance of death)

Back