The Man Of Sorrows

How good is The Man of Sorrows on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I love this song. It might be Dave's best. I love how for such a relatively short run time, it spans such a wide range of moods and emotions. As if it's illustrating the different stages of grief.

Top 5 Dave song at least. Probably the most listened TBOS song for me so far. Is it figured out what the lyrics are about?

I still consider this the worst on the album but it's definitely grown on me to the point I enjoy the song overall. The fact I call it the worst on TBOS is more indicative of how much I enjoy the album than anything else by this point. The intro in particular is phenomenal.

Top 5 Dave song at least. Probably the most listened TBOS song for me so far. Is it figured out what the lyrics are about?

I posted something upthread, but I think it might be about assisted suicide.
It's definitely about what's to be learned from watching someone die slowly.

I don't like this song. The 'floating' infite dreamish slow parts are cool but some parts feel like guys are tired/lazy. I don't know if its done by purpose to deliver exhausted feel, which it does. This song has the only sub-standard moments in the album. Chorus sounds like repetitive up n down textbook melodies which come off forced as well. Some cool twin guitar leads saves it alot, they are actually really good. 6/10

Probably my favorite Dave song of recent times, I really like the atmospheric feel of it, and Dave's guitar leads here are wonderful. Definitely a bit of a sleeper on the album, coming between Tears of a Clown and Empire of the Clouds, but I think it is a very strong showing by the band.

This song gets better very time. The lyrics are Steve's best and most thought provoking in a very long time. Probably the most pleasant surprise of the album.

The Man Of Sorrows is indeed a very cool and unusual song and I do like that.

The chorus is brilliant and Bruce delivers the goods.

9/10

This is the big grower on this album for me. It was probably my least favorite song after my first few spins but it sure has grown on me. Very typical Dave Murray track (especially the intro) but I find myself humming the melody all the time. This for me works wonders where The Man Who Would Be King from the Final Frontier just sounded like jumbled ideas, this seems like a fully fleshed out song. Perfect bridge too between Tears of a Clown and the epic closer.

Still enjoy it. Lately I realised that the second verse on the acoustic intro is not adding anything to the song. The part where the first chorus starts is just perfect for me. This point on the song is brilliant.

This did take a couple of listens to grow on me. It wasn't till I sat and listened to the lyrics that it hit me what a sad song it is. A lonely person sitting on their own while everyone around them is too busy to notice. So alone that they don't think that there will ever be a way out. They feel like nothing more than a pebble lost in the ocean.

Then I realised that they were possibly sitting in a hospital as staff, patients and visitors were rushing around not noticing their sadness. They are about to lose someone they love and they feel completely lost.

That's where I got it. I like that hurtloam seems to the untrained eye (or non Covenant reader) like something filled with pain, but it really denotes healing.

The Man of Sorrows – Great song and lyrics!
I need someone to save me….Humanity won’t save us…the red and the black text leads me to the Man of Sorrows…and into life eternal with Him.
Find the meaning in the red and the black ancient word.
Sad that this song may probably never be played on Christian radio because of stereotypes and branding here in the states.

A man of sorrows (Isaiah 53:3 NASB translation)

Like a man without a home (Matt 8:20 …nowhere to lay his head)
Watching people come and go
Carry on their daily lives
Without a thought for the ones alone
(Matt 25: 41-46, Jesus showed love to the forgotten people – lepers, the disabled, widows)

Cast the dream aside like throwing
A pebble into the ocean tide
And I'm feeling so alone again

Free the angry from their pain
Free the captives from the chains
Cast aside the doubt that
Nothing good can come their way again
(Isaiah 42:7, Isaiah 61:1 and Luke 4:16-21 NIV translation)

Living in a world of lies
No matter how or hard we try
Living life without a dream today
(2 Cor 4:4, John 8:44 The evil one…the father of lies, ruler of this world, the deceiver)

Looking through a mist of truth
That we believe an elusive cloud
(1 Cor 13:12 MSG)

The things we find are hard to say now
That we live through day to day
Find it hard to force the reasons
Why we find it hard to die

Now we need to know the truth now (John 8:32)
Open our eyes that we can see (Acts 26:18)

So we live and breathe again
Better days for you and me
(John 14:6)

Can we even hope to deliver this
We are so far away

As one turns against the other
With a brother against brother (Matt 10:21...brother against brother)
Situation like no other, it's a picture of despair (Matt 24:21...great tribulation like none other)

As we look to see the man of sorrows
Passing knowledge to those who don't know (Matt 11:25-27, Eph 3:19)

As we watch all our friends passing over
As they pass through the edges of time (John 5:24...life eternal)

And we see what's ahead that awaits us
That no longer do we feel afraid
(Philippians 3:10-11, Philippians 4:7)

So we look to see the man of sorrows
And the light is the darkness no more (1 John 1:5, Rev 22:5)

Last edited:
The Man of Sorrows – Great song and lyrics!
I need someone to save me….Humanity won’t save us…the red and the black text leads me to the Man of Sorrows…and into life eternal with Him.
Find the meaning in the red and the black ancient word.
Sad that this song may probably never be played on Christian radio because of stereotypes and branding here in the states.

StaPPcU.gif

I wonder if this song might have been partially inspired by the passing of Clive Burr.

"As we watch all our friends passing over, As they pass through the edges of time"

The song seems to be about people who deal with long term illness and their eventual passing. I know Clive was in poor health for quite a while

10/10. My 4th favorite so far on the album. This is simply a great song! Everytime I listen to the album I feel like this would have been a great closer for the album if it didn't have EOTC of course! Anyway, Mosh said it perfectly above. I couldn't say it better myself.

A solid, very emotional song that still hasn't clicked with me completely. It's another well-composed track from Murray, although as usual, the riffs don't always sound compatible. Honestly, this sounds like The Man Who Would Be King, Take Two (and a much, much better song at that). But there's one thing that bugs me:

...will we ever again get a song written by Dave Murray that doesn't open with a completely disconnected-from-the-rest-of-the-song, moody, bluesy solo section? I get it, I like it, but come on, Davey, have some variety with your intros.

Back