Tears Of A Clown

How good is Tears of a Clown on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I think it has real Bruce solo character to it, it's just that he has the full band behind him.

Hmm. It seems as though I'm one of the only people who finds this to be one of the weakest tracks on the album.

Hmm. It seems as though I'm one of the only people who finds this to be one of the weakest tracks on the album.

I'm with you. The 3 least liked are this, WTRRD & TMOS. All 3 are dull, no energy or passion. I still don't hear the riff everyone talks about. Based on reviews I had very high hopes for this. Very letdown.

you don't hear a riff between 0:21 and 0:31?
you may not like it, but it's a riff

you don't hear a riff between 0:21 and 0:31?
you may not like it, but it's a riff

Technically speaking it is. Quality wise, it's amateurish, bland & far too short to be a riff in my book. What do I know, only playing the axe for 20+ years.

I like this song because it is different being simpler. Sometimes simplicity is what a song requires.

Besides, we were gifted with a great chorus and solos.

Maiden scores.

I'm with you. The 3 least liked are this, WTRRD & TMOS. All 3 are dull, no energy or passion. I still don't hear the riff everyone talks about. Based on reviews I had very high hopes for this. Very letdown.
You find WTRRD to be dull? I find it to be very lively.

This one is a bit of a snoozer for me, though. Maybe it'll grow on me over time.

You find WTRRD to be dull? I find it to be very lively.

Well, I reviewed that song on it's own thread but, I'm ok with the intro. Also ok w/the opening riff that is very 70's, kind of Dio'ish. The tempo of the chorus & the lyrics in the chorus just leave a lot to be desired. All in all, the song is OK but, the chorus completely ruins it. It had good temp & pace & then totally comes to a halt.

Official Lyrics:

All alone in a crowded room
He tries to force a smile
The smile it beamed or so it seemed
But never reached the eyes, disguise
Masquerading as the funny man do they despise

The false smile maketh of the man
Glass empty or half full
Try to make some sense or sorrows drown
All looks well on the outside
Underneath the solemn truth
There’s something that inside has died
Tomorrow comes tomorrow goes
But the cloud remains the same
Wonder why he’s feeling down
Tears of a clown
Maybe it’s all just for the best
Lay his weary head to rest
Was forever feeling drowned
Tears of a clown

Who motivates the motivator
Facade it has to go
He knows it sooner or later
Smile for cameras all ok
But tomorrow is another day he must get through

He had a longer way to run
Or so the story goes
Life full of fun where did it go
We saw the sadness in his eyes
It came as no surprise
And now of course we’ll never know
Tears of a clown
Was forever feeling drowned
Tears of a clown

Tears of a clown
Was forever feeling down
Tears of a clown
Tears of a clown...

Woah.,,,
Completely different song. Where did that come from?
This song is immense! Love the vocal melodies and the solo at around the the 3 minute mark is spectacular.
The story of the situation with Robin Williams is very poignantly told by Steve.
Probably the best vocal performance on the album so far by Bruce.
Of now to listen to number 10....:)

This song was in my top three after the first few listens, now it's dropping off a little bit. It's catchy but its a little bit lackluster in places

I have a feeling this song is the kind that peaks easily. It's very accessible to the average Maiden fan, and the lyrics are poignant. But as the hardcore fan indulges deeper into TBOS, this song may not have anything new to offer.

Still, a great track.

I like this song quite a bit, different from the rest of the album and nicely placed in the album. One of my favorites on the album

By far my favorite of the shorter tunes. The lyrics are moving, with perhaps the best chorus on the album.
The riff to this song is different for Maiden, but I really like it. Both solos have a great amount of emotion that really fit the song perfectly.

Thinking again about earlier claim that this sounded like a Bruce solo effort, which it isn't, because I'm starting to hear that now. As for the subject of the song.....I know the the link has officially been made to Robin Williams, but I prefer to consider it more in terms of a 'man behind the mask' theme in general, inspired by Robin Williams. I wonder if this is because I'm not a major fan of Robin Williams. No disrespect to him and his work, I quite like what he did, in fact, but I've never considered him a massively inspirational legend as such, so I can't entirely see this song as solely being a tribute to him.

Back