The Book Of Souls (song not album)

How good is The Book of Souls on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think this song is straight up filthy metal good. When that verse kicks in I'm seeing Bruce back in full fledged spiked gear. The way he sings it is perfect. One of the best Maiden tunes in the history of Maiden and my favorite title track since Powerslave.

I remember the first time I listened to this song I got worried. I wasn't a big fan of the first couple minutes, but man... this song really gains steam as it goes along. Definitely a highlight of Disc 1 for me. How would you guys rate it among all time album-named tracks by Iron Maiden?

For myself:

1. Powerslave
2. The Number of the Beast
3. Fear of the Dark
4. Dance of Death
5. The Book of Souls
6. Brave New World
7. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (don't crucify me...)
8. Killers
9. Iron Maiden
10. Caught Somewhere in Time
11. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
12. No Prayer for the Dying

I remember the first time I listened to this song I got worried. I wasn't a big fan of the first couple minutes, but man... this song really gains steam as it goes along. Definitely a highlight of Disc 1 for me. How would you guys rate it among all time album-named tracks by Iron Maiden?

For myself:

1. Powerslave
2. The Number of the Beast
3. Fear of the Dark
4. Dance of Death
5. The Book of Souls
6. Brave New World
7. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (don't crucify me...)
8. Killers
9. Iron Maiden
10. Caught Somewhere in Time
11. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
12. No Prayer for the Dying

Oh I think this destroys DoD. Not that I think DoD is bad but I never could get into it. I can't argue anyone putting FotD in the top 3 though. That was an instant classic from the start.

1)No Prayer for the Dying
2) Seventh of a Seventh Son
3)Book of souls
4)Caught somewhere in time
5)Dance of Death
6)Fear of the Dark
7)Brave new World
8)Killers
9)Iron Maiden
10)The Number of the Beast
11)Powerslave
12)Satellite 15… the Final Frontier

Oh I think this destroys DoD. Not that I think DoD is bad but I never could get into it. I can't argue anyone putting FotD in the top 3 though. That was an instant classic from the start.

There's no doubt in my mind that Fear of the Dark is overplayed, but it's synonymous with Maiden. And interesting that you don't like Dance of Death! That to me is one of my favorite post-reunion songs by a good margin.

There's no doubt in my mind that Fear of the Dark is overplayed, but it's synonymous with Maiden. And interesting that you don't like Dance of Death! That to me is one of my favorite post-reunion songs by a good margin.

The part I will admit to enjoying very much is the end when the pace picks up during "when you're lying in your sleep..."

Maybe it's the composition? I don't know...

A nod to Montsegur at 7:00-7:30, a similar melody is played, don't you think?

Anyway, I agree with Foro, upon the first listen, for me this is a return to form after 3 or 4 not so great songs.

I think all the music parts are pretty good. Of course Steve decided to make the slow part drag on for 5 minutes. The second half of the song is full of energy and I really dig it.

I just love the opening riff after the slow intro! And that heavy part played as the 2nd half begins is so sweet! It first came on and I was bummed that it stopped before the solo, but then it repeated again! Too great!

I've always found Janick to be very underrated as a songwriter, and here with Steve, he has managed to totally outdo the sole Steve-penned epic on the album. It irks me no end when people say Janick should have been ejected when H returned to the band, because to me, he has proved himself time and again to be a very worthy contributor to the band's illustrious catalogue. This song is yet another example of how great he is. Classic Maiden-isms abound in the latter half of the song, with even a nod to Losfer Words in there too! The intro and outro are very atmospheric, the chorus is highly memorable, and the main riff is an absolute monster made even more effective due to it's Eastern tinges. Which is an aspect which continues in the verses, with Bruce's vocals alongside that musical backdrop harkening back to the mystical magic of "Powerslave".

Janick has long been an essential part of the Maiden team. A Maiden discography devoid of the likes of "Ghost Of The Navigator" (one of my top Maiden songs of all time), "Dream Of Mirrors", and "The Pilgrim" is unthinkable to me, and this wondrous song just highlights again what a huge asset Jan is to the Maiden boys. This is already a classic Maiden track to me.!

Ehh… Janick is member of Maiden for how long? 25 years? 28? Dunno. If anybody still talk about ejectim him they are stupid. As I said, this album is ultimate middle finger from Janick to haters.

Ehh… Janick is member of Maiden for how long? 25 years? 28? Dunno. If anybody still talk about ejectim him they are stupid. As I said, this album is ultimate middle finger from Janick to haters.

Believe me, even these days, I have seen people saying Maiden should fire Janick. This song is really prime Maiden, and is very worthy in it's place as this album's title track. Whilst "Empire Of The Clouds" is the album's true jaw dropping moment, this song is like the glue that holds the whole album together, like the fundamental brick work underpinning the whole thing. It is a fantastic song, and Jan is a great songwriter.

Jan is amazing. He's my second favorite Maiden guitarist. I can't understand people who doesn't like him but I'm sure as hell that they are members of "play classics!".

For me this is strange song. It's great but you must play it many times to get it all. And it's funny beacuse people were saying this about old Maiden stuff and this is first time when I think they're right - you can't get this album in one hearing.

Bruce shines on every song on this record, but maybe his singing on this takes the grand prize! It is otherworldly to say the least, and I cannot believe that he is able to get to that level in his day of age.

Ok, this is another song where way too much is going on for me to process it properly at first listen.
I like Bruce's vocals better though than on The Red and the Black. Other disjointed thoughts include: heavy, reminiscent of Montsegur, the intro's and outro's seem like huge nods to The Legacy...and great solo's!

Back