"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And btw, and to be honest, i'm starting to hate the fact that some fans are doing the opposite of what Maiden is doing: Overthinking :)

Just listen to what you like and enjoy.

No offence GK1, you are welcome to your own opinions and keep sharing.
But your posts are starting to remind me of the guy with the great girlfriend who spoils it with his own insecurities.

Hmm, after listening to it about 6-7 times I really love this album. I am wondering how it compares to other maiden albums though. I would kinda like to listen to some other albums too now, but for now I still enjoy listening to the new songs too much to stop listening.
I also feel there's no problem at all with the instrumental parts. I love them all and right now the only song that I don't like is SOL, doubt i'll ever like it too. But the rest of the album is really amazing in my opinion. I feel the production/mixing is fine too, but yea I'm obviously no expert. Just a guy that likes to listen to Maiden and to me the album sounds great. And the final album will definitely be the same, for the people hoping the final album will have better mixes etc. I'd eat my shoe if that was the case :p

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker here. I probably discovered this site back when I was in high school, circa 2005. I discovered Iron Maiden about a year or two before A Matter of Life and Death was released. Simply put, Iron Maiden have been one of the most important bands in my life.

I'm a firm believer that Iron Maiden never lost their form. There are a number of albums they've released I haven't cared for, including No Prayer for the Dying, The X Factor, and Virtual XI (even though I love Sign of the Cross/The Clansman). I won't get too wordy, but I remember when The Final Frontier was released... I was sorely disappointed. Other than The Wild Wind Blows, not a single song on that album grabbed my attention at all. I'm a "fan" of A Matter of Life and Death, some of the lyrics in AMOLAD got too repetitive for my tastes. I'm a big fan of Dance of Death and Brave New World, however.

Anyways, when I heard that Book of Souls was announced I got really excited. I've been checking this site religiously every day for over a month now dissecting all the news/reviews. Needless to say, I wasn't quite sure why I was reading so much considering how much I disliked TFF. But a part of me believed this album would be different.

And I couldn't be happier with how the album turned out. I wasn't a fan of Speed of Light when it was released, but I read it was one of the weaker songs on the album (and it is). I've listened to album probably 5 times in 24 hours. I can't remember the last time I did that with an Iron Maiden album. I certainly didn't with AMOLAD or TFF.

There's a LOT to process with this album. In fact, I've found myself revisiting disc 1 quite a bit so far. It's far too early to decide which disc is better, but I'm trying to extensively listen to each song before I make a final opinion. So far the highlights for me off the first disc are If Eternity Should Fail, The Red and the Black, When the River Runs Deep, and of course, The Book of Souls. Speed of Light is the weakest song on the first disc for me, and I'm honestly not quite sure what to make of The Great Unknown quite yet, but I do like the song.

I'm going to spend a little more time with disc 1 today before I go into disc 2 extensively.

Oh my FUCKING GOD. This album was amazing, 92 minutes just flew by me.
EotC made my scream "YES" five times, headbang tons of times, and brought tears to me eyes twice. It's a goddamn masterpiece.

The only bad thing I have to say about the entire thing is that TRATB felt a bit padded, maybe it could be shortened by 3 minutes or so, but it's such a nitpick.
I feel this album is going to be top 3 for me when it really sinks in.

Now to read the last 30 pages of this thread!

For some people, in-depth discussion is part of the fun of listening to music.

And for musicians, it's a process that happens naturally. You instantly know rhytmic patterns you've heard before and know, melodic intervals - even whole parts of melodies that's familiar. You hear the different parts, know instantly which instrument, even which musician play which part. If a part isn't up to scratch, you know that as well as the musicians and producer that let this one out the doors.

I woke up earlier on a saturday, very happy with the fact I was going to listen to the album again.

Also, time to update my top 10 maiden songs of all time. Welcome, The Red and The Black!

Okay, if we're all really having fun it's fine, i guess i was just worried that this whole discussion was becoming waaaay too serious. I too am a nerd, believe me ;)

Anyone else wish there was more repetitive choruses?
:clap:haha people will always complain about something: 2000-2010 = Too many repetitive choruses booo!! 2015 = Where's all the repetitive choruses that was the best part booo!!!

Ordered three different formats of the new release, so I'm not worried about taking an early listen to the album.

It's a lot to digest at once as I just ran thru on my first listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back