Tournament of INSTRUMENTALS (Eighth Finals): Group A

Vote for your FAVOURITE instrumental track: 1 vote per battle

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Ladies and gentlemen, after a short break I welcome you to the last 16 songs that are left.
The Round of 16, also sometimes called: the eighth finals.

As always:
If you are new to this game, please READ this (click) before you vote!

Quick links to:
Playlist: a list of all the tracks created by Night Prowler
individual links to each track

Game progress: these older matches are still open:

None

New:

Battle Group A: 1 vs 2
1:

2:

Battle Group A: 3 vs 4
3:

4:

Don't go too far away from your computer because you have to play the songs. ;)

But me too. I have some difficulties with the first pair especially.

Didn't Ides go through and Genghis get knocked out? Not that I'm complaining because Genghis is by far and away the better song, but it's worth pointing out.

Sucks 1 and 2 are together, they're easily the best songs here. Not that Genghis or Hocus are bad, but they have some major flaws.

Going with La Villa in the first pair. The extra length allows it to really tell a story, while Techinical Difficulties is just good old-fashioned fun, which there's nothing wrong with, but it's at an immediate disadvantage because of that.

Hocus Pocus has some exceptional guitar work, but the yodelling is pretty grating and it does get repetitive after a while as a result. Genghis is good instrumentally but it's all over the place; it doesn't have the same flow that Losfer or Transylvania have. I just find the reliance on yodelling that Hocus Pocus has to be against the spirit of what an instrumental should be to be honest.

2 and 4.

Genghis Khan did also survive.
Hocus Pocus has some exceptional guitar work, but the yodelling is pretty grating and it does get repetitive after a while as a result. Genghis is good instrumentally but it's all over the place; it doesn't have the same flow that Losfer or Transylvania have. I just find the reliance on yodelling that Hocus Pocus has to be against the spirit of what an instrumental should be to be honest.
I want to remind you that -in this context-, the point of this game is to compare Genghis with Hocus Pocus, and not with another instrumental. Try to purely zoom in on the two tracks that are battling each other, and then (best after one or more listenings) try to decide which one you like the most of these two. Perhaps you've done that (and of course it's not forbidden to talk about other songs besides an opponent), but just in case: try not to give it a chance to become a factor of the slightest importance.

edit:
On Hocus Pocus: I agree it is indeed not 100% instrumental (if you do not count the human voice as an instrument), just as the Rush track and one or two other tracks in the game. But it was accepted in the game, so best focus on the battles themselves: which is the more enjoyable track.

Last edited:
1 and 4. 1 has bags of energy and I'm just not a Rush person, really. Genghis gets it in the second pair, I can't abide that yodelling a second longer, even though the rest of this instrumental is solid. Agree with RTC, though, Genghis doesn't top my list of Maiden instrumentals. It just happens to come out better in this particular pairing.

Edit: Stardust has done a vote of no confidence!

There's been "many" rounds in past rounds where I've only voted in one pairing because I've either been undecided or because neither of the two tracks appealed to me. I don't think it's fair to just "assume" and then count votes like that, if people vote blank just leave it blank :)

Agreed. Lately these rounds have had two songs I really like in one pair and then two songs I don't care for at all in the other.

I thought he didn't vote blank. He voted ------ Looked to me like he clicked too low (a miss click).
Stardust, if you can't choose, don't touch anything please, it's misleading, thank you. Now that I now what you meant with it, I won't count that vote, of course.

That's fine, but if he doesn't get back to you it's better to just not count his vote for that pairing, instead of assuming he voted for something.

That's what I thought Sixes. Don't conclude too quickly Sir! :)
But will do, Mosh. Well, first I will ask about it, and then see what happens.
Yeah, or else the rules have to state that you MUST vote in both pairings,
Even though I would have preferred it that if people would have to make a choice, every time a pair appears, I'm not sure how to enforce that, plus I am not sure either if it would have other negative consequences. Luckily, the game isn't suffering much from it.

edit:
I wouldn't have asked him if he wouldn't have touched the --------- option. :)

Last edited:
Back