Judas Priest

If playing it safe gives us Painkiller 2.0 then I like the idea. I do think that they're going to release something similar to Angel of Retribution in the sense that there will be many fast and heavy songs and some softer ballad-types. Another thing that could be interesting is that Faulkner has been counting down the announcement days on his Facebook account and to every post he has added "...RHRF!". Rock Hard Ride Free?

Hmm. I prefer it to a lot of other bands work (I'd rather listen to that than IE, sorry Prowler :p) but it's far from Priests best.

It lacks the edge/aggression that they usually have, I was really expecting more of a Painkiller-esque scream for the chorus, and I'm not much a fan of the guitar tone. Shall give it another listen later on.

More interestingly, the album is 18 tracks? o_O I hope that doesn't mean it's all extremely short rockers.

18 ? Really bas news. That, with Halford's ruined voice, will lead me to listen to the record before buying it.

*sigh*
Judging from the new song, Priest would have done themselves a favour sticking to their "farewell" tour.

18 songs? Where is the link to that info? It certainly isn't on their official website...

From the link that @harrisdevot posted above:
JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Glenn Tipton said that fans should not expect wild experimentation. "Sometimes in the past we may have come under fire for being too adventurous musically – so we have listened," he said. "From start to finish, 'Redeemer Of Souls' is 18 songs of pure classic PRIEST metal."

See, see what you've done!! All you Nostradamus haters, you've scared them away from trying different things and made them write this :p

"Sometimes in the past we may have come under fire for being too adventurous musically – so we have listened,"
:huh: What a dumb attitude.

Oops, I missed that! :p

I dunno how I feel about the album having 18 songs, to be honest... if only 10 of those songs are amazing, I'll still be happy. I won't really have a problem if all the songs are short, as some of their greatest albums like SFV, DOTF, and Painkiller all had short songs on them. Priest haven't penned that many long songs in their career, aside from a small amount during the 70's, Loch Ness, and some of Nostradamus. With that amount of songs, it is sure to contain some filler, but even Nostradamus had a few songs I loved, and that also had a lot of songs on it, so I'm still feeling cautiously optimistic about the new album...

Dear me, what a boring track 'Redeemer Of Souls' is. There's no power whatsoever. It sounds like a bad Halford b-side song.

The outlooks aren't the best but I hate seeing all of you so pessimistic. Even if it fucking sucks (which it won't), I have high hopes for it.

About the song: it's quite generic and simply-constructed, nothing really new but the vocal/guitar melodies are still nice and so is the solo (which could've been a bit longer). I'm not surprised but neither am I disappointed. The worst aspect seems to be the production. Guitars sound weird.

Last edited:
I think all songs from Halford's Made Of Metal are better than this one, that's a great album. And all Nostradamus and Angel Of Retribution songs are also better.

The outlooks aren't the best but I hate seeing all of you so pessimistic. Even if it fucking sucks (which it won't), I have high hopes for it.

About the song: it's quite generic and simply-constructed, nothing really new but the vocal/guitar melodies are still nice and so is the solo (which could've been a bit longer). I'm not surprised but neither am I disappointed. The worst aspect seems to be the production. Guitars sound weird.

Agreed on everything. I think the album absolutely will have some good stuff on it. Even if half of the album is filler, that's still 9 great new Priest songs to enjoy.

The new song is not amazing, or a genre definer like "Painkiller", "Victim Of Changes", or "Beyond The Realms Of Death", but it is a good song, with a captivating and catchy melody. The production absolutely could have been better, but it's certainly not terrible by any means. The guitars lack a bit of bite and punch, but when compared with the likes of "St. Anger", or even "Death Magnetic", the production is certainly palatable, and not bad enough to ruin the song. I also agree that the solo section should have been longer and more epic.

I think all songs from Halford's Made Of Metal are better than this one, that's a great album. And all Nostradamus and Angel Of Retribution songs are also better.

I don't agree with that... the new Priest song is better than at least half of what was on Made Of Metal, or Nostradamus, and it can hold it's own with most of what's on Angel Of Retribution too.

It sounds painfully generic to me. Reminds me of a song but can't remember which one right now.

Yeah production is quite bad to my ears. The whole song sounds very muddy and not helped by the fact that the song isn't great in the first place. It's not terrible, but it's just so simple and fairly boring. I guess they did say it was going to be like this though, so my expectations for the entire album are not high.

It sounds painfully generic to me. Reminds me of a song but can't remember which one right now.

Well, it is a bit generic, but Priest have released so much defining, and influential material over the years, that at this stage in their careers, I'm quite happy with them just sounding like typical, and standard Priest. The production could have used a bit more oomph, but it's catchy, and I like the melody. The band have certainly made far worse songs in their time, that's for sure. lol

It reminds me a little bit of "Hell Patrol"... maybe that's the song you're thinking of. ;)

Back