Musical prejudice

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
What stuff you read/hear about a band before listening to it would put you off from actually listening to the band?

For me (of course, there are exceptions):

drum machine on all albums
Nazi (racist) lyrics
horrible production
Steven Wilson's producing :p
etc.

Discuss!

- Not about the music per se, but disgusting album covers.
- Assuming it's metal, female vocalists. Can't stand them. On genres like alternative, folk and pop, however, they're awesome.

I'd have to give this some thought, but as a rule of thumb, the following people's involvement tends to scare me away from listening: Charlie Bauerfeind, Kai Hansen, Michael Kiske, Tim Owens, Ralf Scheepers, Piet Sielck and Luca Turilli. And probably lots more when I think of them.

@Perun: I don't get your hate vs some German power metal acts. Especially Iron Savior's music isn't that different from e.g. Sabaton's. No kidding.
They've done Helloweenish fast stuff but also midtempo songs.

Piet's "normal" singing voice isn't that high either, as e.g. Hansen, Kiske or even Dickinson.

Perhaps the lyrics play a role as well?

@Perun: I don't get your hate vs some German power metal acts. Especially Iron Savior's music isn't that different from e.g. Sabaton's. No kidding.
They've done Helloweenish fast stuff but also midtempo songs.

Iron Savior is just generic-sounding power metal to my ears. It completely lacks anything that I would find interesting. Maybe they're close to Sabaton musically, but they don't play it the way I like it. It's more than just the sum of the parts.

Piet's "normal" singing voice isn't that high either, as e.g. Hansen, Kiske or even Dickinson.

I don't like the way his voice sounds, no matter whether it's high or low. I just don't like his voice. But to be fair, I have more aversion towards him as a producer. I don't know just how many albums he produced, but those that I know of are utter crap.

Perhaps the lyrics play a role as well?

No, I neither know nor care what bands like Iron Savior, Primal Fear, Brainstorm, or even Helloween or Gamma Ray for that matter, write their lyrics about.

I know various strong female singers. I am shocked that -in the year 2014- people cast them aside in advance. As with male vocalists, women vocalists come in all kinds of sounds, and it's pretty difficult to know in advance if it would sound bad or not.

I can acknowledge their talent and skills but this doesn't mean I'm interested in listening to them.

No story, just a very pragmatic deduction behind it. None of the female vocalists I've heard so far has made any positive impression on me. So, strictly answering NP's question, I'm likely to be put off a band if I find out it advance it has a female singer.

I'm confused. I don't know whether I should argue against female singers, Doge-style talk or idiom origin now.

Here's what I mean. Take this song as an example.

To me, this song works perfectly fine with the male vocalist only. The voice is fitting. When Scabbia takes the mike, I get all itchy. Also fitting, considering Scabbia means scabies in English. Her participation in this song is totally unnecessary. So is her singing on all other Lacuna Coil's songs, for that matter.

This one

is even worse. Totally unlistenable to me. I can't even explain what I dislike about it because that would suggest there was something I liked about it, so I could make comparisons. Which is not the case, I'm sorry.

Back