Musical prejudice

Lyrics speak for themselves :p

That's a lyrical pet peeve of mine: lyrics consisting of a lot of name-drops / shout-outs to other musicians. It's just so cheesy. Eric Burdon's "Monterey" is a typical example, maybe one of the first that got on my nerves. A snippet:

The Byrds and the Airplane did fly
Oh, Ravi Shankar's music made me cry
The Who exploded into fire and light
Hugh Masekela's music was black as night
The Grateful Dead blew everybody's mind
Jimi Hendrix, baby, believe me,
set the world on fire, yeah​

Gag. The only song I can stand of that type is Funkadelic's "Let's Take It To The Stage," where the shout-outs are more along the lines of good-natured rank-outs or call-outs / challenges to other funk artists like "Fool and the Gang," "Earth, Hot Air and No Fire," and "Godfather? Godmother!"

Last edited:
You know you're in trouble if the band supporting Judas Priest is called Dope.

You know your feeling is confirmed when the band is shit, uses the word "motherfucker" whenever they can, do a shitty cover of Rebel Yell, and the singer says how awesome it is that he can share the stage with his good friend Rod Halford and the guys from Judas Priest.

Post checked for typos.

Come on guys, he meant Halforb
transparent-white-dome-glass-semi-sphere-vector-14044281.jpg
apparently, everyone can make a mistake.

That's a lyrical pet peeve of mine: lyrics consisting of a lot of name-drops / shout-outs to other musicians. It's just so cheesy. Eric Burdon's "Monterey" is a typical example, maybe one of the first that got on my nerves. A snippet:

The Byrds and the Airplane did fly
Oh, Ravi Shankar's music made me cry
The Who exploded into fire and light
Hugh Masekela's music was black as night
The Grateful Dead blew everybody's mind
Jimi Hendrix, baby, believe me,
set the world on fire, yeah​

Gag. The only song I can stand of that type is Funkadelic's "Let's Take It To The Stage," where the shout-outs are more along the lines of good-natured rank-outs or call-outs / challenges to other funk artists like "Fool and the Gang," "Earth, Hot Air and No Fire," and "Godfather? Godmother!"

I completely get it. Two exceptions for me (apart from Funkadelic, 'fcourse):

American Pie by Don McLean (though some moments are really cheesy and cringeworthy, I think in general I like the song)
Metal Machine by Sabaton. Don't know why, maybe because it's the first one (officially released) and I've always liked the melody and Joakim's mega-hammy "COME TOUCH MY METAL MACHINE", it's cheesy as seven fucks, but I can't help but like it.

Back