Iron Maiden's most progressive song?

Phantom of the Opera isn't the most proggy song in Maiden's discography (speaking in relative terms), but it definitely can be considered a prototype of the future 'Arry epics to come.
I suppose compared to all the punk and even metal that was around at the time, Phantom was a pretty technically demanding and proggy song. Sure, most prog metal fans probably don't see it as anything special, but I think it's pretty progressive for its time.

And no, long doesn't define progressive, not at all.

It wasn't a cheeky challenge btw, just a genuine question. Thanks for the example, NP! :D
I don't really have a very strong opinion about this, so --why do you view this as progressive?

Eh, I'm not an expert, but prog is really hard to define.
You can easily say 3 things to describe power metal, thrash metal, black metal, death metal, etc, but prog... I don't think so.

Can you give an example of a song/track that is short, but also progressive?
And there are plenty others out there, that just scratches the surface. Once you get past bands like Dream Theater and even Opeth, you'll find a lot of bands are progressive but also have really short songs.

Eh, I'm not an expert, but prog is really hard to define.
You can easily say 3 things to describe power metal, thrash metal, black metal, death metal, etc, but prog... I don't think so.
Yup, it's more broad. Tbh I don't really like that it's the name of a genre, it seems a bit counter-intuitive anyway, since the point is to make music that pushes boundaries. Most "prog" bands these days are just following the same formula as the older bands. You see it in rock and metal. Luckily there are some bands emerging like Animals As Leaders, Periphery, and even Haken who are finally doing something unique.

That's why I consider a song like Phantom to be progressive. No Iron Maiden is not a prog band, but that song does exactly what prog was supposed to do back when it became a thing: push boundaries.

[QUOTE="Mosh, post: 456802, member: 8805] Yup, it's more broad. Tbh I don't really like that it's the name of a genre, it seems a bit counter-intuitive anyway, since the point is to make music that pushes boundaries. Most "prog" bands these days are just following the same formula as the older bands. You see it in rock and metal. Luckily there are some bands emerging like Animals As Leaders, Periphery, and even Haken who are finally doing something unique.

That's why I consider a song like Phantom to be progressive. No Iron Maiden is not a prog band, but that song does exactly what prog was supposed to do back when it became a thing: push boundaries.[/QUOTE]

This exactly.

Progressive music should push boundaries and develop sound, and following the formula of Dream Theater is hardly progressive at all; the opposite in fact.

BTW won a pair of free tickets to see DT so excite :D

Progressive music should push boundaries and develop sound, and following the formula of Dream Theater is hardly progressive at all; the opposite in fact.
Exactly what I was going for. I can't stand those DT clones.

BTW won a pair of free tickets to see DT so excite :D
Congrats! I'll be seeing them in 2 weeks, can't wait :D

Exactly what I was going for. I can't stand those DT clones.

Congrats! I'll be seeing them in 2 weeks, can't wait :D

Where's the gig at?

The city I'm going to is in NJ and it's incredibly convenient because the venue is literally 5 minutes away from where my good friend I'm going with lives, so it all turned out really perfectly.

Oh nice, I'm seeing them in Denver. First time they've been out here with Mangini. Also the first time I'll have seen them headline, not to mention Evening With. :shred:

It has a lot of mixed reviews but I really like it. It's short, doesn't have songs that are bloated by pointless instrumental sections (my main complaint with ADTOE) and it has a very cinematic vibe that I love. If nothing else, the closing epic, Illumination Theory should at least be heard. I also really like The Bigger Picture and The Looking Glass.

Back