Iron Maiden's most progressive song?

Stardust

Rainmaker
Which Iron Maiden song is most like a prog metal song?
Reply if you think a certain song is the most progressive one.
Would love some answers.
:)

I think this is a very interesting and serious question. Starblind is the first that comes to mind, but then you have the middle segment of Isle of Avalon - which basically sounds like Geddy Lee stepped in for Steve Harris (not that I mind such a thing). Maybe you'd do better knocking out the stuff that has no progressive features to it at all.

Isle of Avalon Lord of Light, Thin Line Between Love and Hate, and Legacy for me are about even as far as being the proggiest Maiden prog rock songs.

For me, "prog" has always been a very elastic definition. It's not always clear cut (i.e. "Prog music MUST have keyboards, complex time signatures, long songs, 100 stringed guitars, etc."). I think if something is progressive it should mark an evolution, experimentation, or development in sound.

Agggh labels are kind of ridiculous

Labels are not always accurate, but they are generally helpful a a starting point. If I say something is a prog song versus a classic rock song, it at least gives someone a general idea of what it is.

Progressive does imply development and experimentation and it's the exact opposite of cliché and copying, but I think the term progressive rock is more like "progressed rock" in usage. It did progress until it reached a place and it stayed there.

I think in the mainstream it means "long complex songs" .. that might not be accurate .. but I think that is what most people understand to be a basic qualities a song must have to be prog rock. Experimental rock is a different story .. at least by my definition. Of course others may vary

Phantom of the Opera isn't the most proggy song in Maiden's discography (speaking in relative terms), but it definitely can be considered a prototype of the future 'Arry epics to come.

Everyone has a personal take on "progressive" but I don't really consider Dream of Mirrors to be that progressive. It is long and varies between clean and loud but has pretty ordinary riff structures etc. I do agree on the other picks.

How can "long" define progressive? I don't think ROTAM is progressive, and sometimes i feel a short song like Rainmaker it is.

Back