How do you guys feel about the newer Maiden albums?

Do you like Modern Maiden?

• Total voters
If I did a list of my favourite albums of all-time there would probably be at least a half-dozen Maiden albums on it.

BNW is my second-favorite reunion-era album for a reason. It only has two bad tracks on it (my favorite reunion-era album TFF only has one bad track on it)
The other two reunion-era albums' good tracks are among Iron Maiden's very best. But the bad are among Iron Maiden's very worst!

My favourite Maiden albums of all time:

1. Iron Maiden
2. Killers
3. Number of the Beast
4. Piece of Mind
5. Powerslave
6. Somewhere in Time
7. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
8. No Prayer for the Dying
9. Fear of the Dark
10. The X Factor
11. Virtual XI
12. Brave New World
13. Dance of Death
14. A Matter of Life and Death
15. The Final Frontier

Somewhere In Time is quite an album. Fear of The Dark is just simply a boring album. But these days, I'm confident we'll never get another like FoTD, and that's great! Nowadays their music progressive way beyond garbage like FoTD.

But you've still ranked five other Maiden albums above it. Yes/no? So, hardly your favourite Maiden album.
Here's another "Er... what?" > o_O
:D

No Prayer is a great album IMO.

Seems the way they write now, and the type of songs they write now, are very very different from the earlier stuff. Except the longer 'epic' stuff.

I bet if Bruce sang on XFactor or VirtualXI there would be many people saying they're amazing.

But you've still ranked five other Maiden albums above it. Yes/no? So, hardly your favourite Maiden album.
Here's another "Er... what?" > o_O
:D

It is certainly one of my favourite albums. I do definitely rank "The Number of the Beast" and "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" above it, but I appreciate the next 4 albums in my list similarly.

I have added some lines dividing the different categories. They correspond to masterpieces (1 and 2)/mostly amazing (3 to 6)/really good (7 and 8)/good (9 and 10)/solid but with flaws (11 to 13)/meh (14)/utter crap (15).

1. The Number of the Beast
2. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
------------------------------------
3. Piece of Mind
4. Powerslave
5. Iron Maiden
6. A Matter of Life and Death
-------------------------------------
7. The Final Frontier
8. Brave New World

9. Somewhere in Time
10. Dance of Death
11. Killers
12. Fear of the Dark
13. The X Factor
14. No Prayer for the Dying
15. Virtual XI

I hope that helps! :D

I bet if Bruce sang on XFactor or VirtualXI there would be many people saying they're amazing.

"The X Factor" is a solid effort. "Virtual XI" is, in my humble opinion, utter crap, regardless of who's singing. ;)

Anyway, Bruce is not the only element that makes a difference; Adrian is a key player too.

Well I wouldn't class Virtual as crap, personally, but I certainly think lack of Adrian was significant. He gave (and today gives) Maiden a much fuller sound. Davey and Janick alone aren't enough of a contrast.

1. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
2. Somewhere In Time
3. Number of the Beast
4. Powerslave
5. Brave New World
6. Fear Of The Dark
7. A Matter Of Life And Death
8. Dance Of Death
9. Iron Maiden
10. Piece Of Mind
11. The X-Factor
12. Killers
13. Virtual XI
14. No Prayer For The Dying
15. The Final Frontier

Well I wouldn't class Virtual as crap, personally, but I certainly think lack of Adrian was significant. He gave (and today gives) Maiden a much fuller sound. Davey and Janick alone aren't enough of a contrast.

Very true. Dave and Janick's styles are both very loose, whereas H is incredibly structured both in his playing and his writing.

Personally, I think a few of the songs on Virtual XI are amazing, but the album as a whole is quite bad. If you took the best songs from X Factor and VXI (including B-sides), put 'em on one album, and had Bruce sing, it would have been incredible. As two full albums, however, one is incredibly brooding and the other is just sloppy.

This would have made a great album (with some key changes and Bruce singing):

1. Futureal
2. Judgement Day
3. The Clansman
4. Virus
5. Lord of the Flies
6. Man on the Edge
7. Fortunes of War
8. Justice of the Peace
9. Como Estais Amigos
10. Sign of the Cross

Eh, I think it being so low and so fast was mainly the problem. I'd bet in a higher key, he'd be fine. There's plenty of fast Bruce vocals (the "when the priest comes to read me the last rites..." section of Hallowed is one).

This would have made a great album (with some key changes and Bruce singing):

1. Futureal
2. Judgement Day
3. The Clansman
4. Virus
5. Lord of the Flies
6. Man on the Edge
7. Fortunes of War
8. Justice of the Peace
9. Como Estais Amigos
10. Sign of the Cross

Don't see your problem, that is a fantastic playlist.

Back