How do you guys feel about the newer Maiden albums?

Do you like Modern Maiden?

• Total voters
How slow i am. :blush:

But i have an excuse since i clicked the image to full-size and i could only see Eddie "Bruce" the Head.

From the beginning on, our aim was not to be like the IMBB, and when that closed down, not to be like Maiden Fans United. I know they talk shit about us there, and I'm proud of that.

I thank you for making this place not like Maiden Fans United. That place made me wonder if Maiden fans even liked Maiden at all.
:eek:

They like everything Iron Maiden did before 1989. Sometimes before 1985, and occasionally before 1981.

They like everything Iron Maiden did before 1989. Sometimes before 1985, and occasionally before 1981.

Same here .. but after all those times as well ... and those exact times .. except for whatever times they were recording Weekend Warrior, the Apparition, and 2 AM

This is why Maiden is my all time favourite. Dance of death album I put it right up there with Maiden's golden age better than piece of mind but not better than Beast or Powerslave.
Final frontier is a tremendous album too.
A matter of life and death=above average, but I'm not complaining if they give me some songs from that album on their next tour.

I love modern Maiden, Brave New World would be in my top 5 Maiden albums and Final Frontier not far outside the top 5. AMOLAD is the only disappointing modern Maiden record for me, too devoid of melody and feels musically forced and pieced together in places. I see Dance Of Death get a bit of stick on here sometimes but it's another tremendous album, I even like the likes of New Frontier and Wildest Dreams. Of course the Piece of Mind, Powerslave era was Maiden at their strongest but modern Maiden holds up well against that era and obviously tramples all over 90's Maiden.

My opinion is always subject to change when it comes to the reunion albums tbh. Sometimes I think albums like BNW and TFF are equal if not superior to the 80s albums, and other times I'm like "what a ton of watered down crap"

I don't want to insult anyone, but I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of modern Maiden. I think the band has headed towards a more epic song-writing with more depth perhaps, but lost some of it's vitality and immediate energy. The symphonic sound and proggression has been highlighted and I can clearly understand why some would prefer it. Call me a retro-granddad, but I'll stick with the 80s and the "satanic", hungry, dangerous Maiden. That still doesn't mean there aren't any good songs on the new albums (RAINMAKER! Brave New World, Out of the Silent Planet, Paschendale...)

One big problem IMSO (not humble, but stupid!) with modern Maiden is that the ideas are good, but certain parts of the songs drag on way too long for my taste.

Thanks, I appreciate it:D Who knows, maybe those albums just take a longer time to open up? I try to keep an open mind and I know Maiden is always giving the fans good value. They are still on the road after all these years... Doing new stuff AND doing seperate "old stuff" tours for the retrofans. I've gotta appreciate that.:edmetal:

Brave New World and Dance of Death took a really long time to click for me. AMOLAD and TFF however clicked instantly. I found that kinda weird though since the last two seem less accessible at face value.

While I love modern Maiden just as much as the classic Maiden, I'll give my final opinion after giving this a listen:
image.jpg

I'm too excited to speak! :)

Where can I find the tracklist to Powerslave II anyway?

In the meantime, here's my prediction:

1.Aces down (feat. the Red Baron)
2.A quarter past one
3.Stolen lyrics (You'd really think we would've fixed that lock by now)
4.Flasher with a Blade
5.The Duellist continued - Zombies en garde!
6.Return of the revenge of the back of the son of the village
7.Powerslave II - The Cyber-Ramses
8.The sordid tale of an ex-Fisherman's Friend

Can't wait to hear these!

Where can I find the tracklist to Powerslave II anyway?

In the meantime, here's my prediction:

1.Aces down (feat. the Red Baron)
2.A quarter past one
3.Stolen lyrics (You'd really think we would've fixed that lock by now)
4.Flasher with a Blade
5.The Duellist continued - Zombies en garde!
6.Return of the revenge of the back of the son of the village
7.Powerslave II - The Cyber-Ramses
8.The sordid tale of an ex-Fisherman's Friend

Can't wait to hear these!

Yeah... The article said they want to combine elements of Powerslave with Final Frontier ... Here's my take:
1, The Final High
2. Coming Home 2 Minutes before Midnight
3. Back in The Village Of El Dorado
4. The man who would be Powerslave
5. Flash of the blade turned me starblind
6. The duellists of Avalon
7. Mother Mercy, I'm Losfer Words
8. When The Wild Wind Blows The Ancient Mariner!

All joking aside, I can't wait! :)

an.gif

My two cents for what it's worth, and I haven't read the preceding 8 pages so this may be redundant...

The reunion material has, for me, been like having a brand new favourite band. It's Maiden, but it's all grown up. It's thoughtful metal. Any setlist that has a bit of new and a bit of old is perfect for me.

I find it hard to compare '80s albums with reunion albums, I just know they're all awesome and all better than the '90s albums...

Back