Best Album Ever Survivor Round 2

Vote for your least favourite albums

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Definitely. I love that album, not one bad song.
Not one bad song? I heard the album for the first time today. I thought China White sucks immensely. I don't see how anyone can finish that whole song and say it is not a bad song. Indeed good hooks on many other songs but quite some of them sound the same. Same chords, same mid tempo's, and a few choruses are getting annoyingly repetitive at some point.

Did you cross like this?

541720_10151279998299864_947949895_n.jpg

In your birthday suits? :D

Just realized I could vote for more than 3.

Voted against Blackout, which I like but isn't in the same league as some of the others -- but responding to Foro, I think "China White" is a highlight of that album!

I'd rather listen to that than jazz fusion, anyway. I gave the Mahavishnu Orchestra a listen. Meh. Interesting guitar work but kind of a mess. Just not a fan of jazz, I guess. Looking forward to voting against it.

Which Mah. Orch. album? The second (Birds of Fire) is more structured (no mess). Allmusic states "audibly more varied in texture, even more tightly organized, and thankfully more musical in content". (source: http://www.allmusic.com/album/birds-of-fire-mw0000649622 )
The first album is more messy or call it "out of control" as you wish, and I did not second/nominate it. And honestly: (I can't stress it enough) I don't see that much jazz in it. The strength of this album is its variation. It has intense rhythmic songs vs atmospheric (and melodic!) calmer work.

By the way, I listened to quite some albums over the last days that I hadn't played before. One of them was the Cream album. I thought it was boring and at times it featured plain annoying singing! Lazy powerless music, made my tripping hippies. I won't mourn it's gone. The downside is that Jethro Tull's Stand Up doesn't deserve to go in such mediocre company. But I wonder if some people only voted for it because they want to protect other albums (without hearing it). To be honest, I also use the protecting tactics, but at the same time I want to know what I am voting for. This time I pay more attention to unknown albums than ever. It led me to not vote for the BOC album (yet). What a fine discovery that was!

Not one bad song? I heard the album for the first time today. I thought China White sucks immensely. I don't see how anyone can finish that whole song and say it is not a bad song. Indeed good hooks on many other songs but quite some of them sound the same. Same chords, same mid tempo's, and a few choruses are getting annoyingly repetitive at some point.
China White is my favorite

Which Mah. Orch. album? The second (Birds of Fire) is more structured (no mess).

I listened to Birds of Fire. Not all the way through -- couldn't take it. To paraphrase Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets, it sounds like they thought of a song, then removed all melody and structure.

Foro, when you don't particularly like Blackout, I'm not surprised. It's a power chord based, high-energy, catchy album with lots of repetition, things you usually are critical of.
But I have never figured out why you aren't more of a fan of Blue Oyster Cult, which typically has the melodies and the variation you value so much.
That's my backwards way of saying, glad to hear you call Fire a fine discovery. It's a band you should like.

My nominations for 1991/2
A Li'l Ain't Enough - David Lee Roth
Revenge - Kiss

I listened to Birds of Fire. Not all the way through -- couldn't take it. To paraphrase Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets, it sounds like they thought of a song, then removed all melody and structure.
Some stuff is atonal indeed, but for the rest it looks more like you remove all that yourself.
@Mckindog: I am slowly getting into them. At the moment other bands come first (also in a slow tempo), but I won't forget about them!

Mckindog: will the next round be in the Games section again?
Eliminated ..... Restless and Wild
I am afraid I voted against it because I wanted to protect some other records. But I gotta say it has some really fine guitar playing. "Princess of the Dawn" is an atmospheric album closer lots of bands should be jealous of. Love that steady beat, the less screamy vocals and the acoustic touch. Epic.

Back