Classic albums and famous bands you don't like

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
So, which important/famous/classic/genre-defining albums you don't like like the rest of the world or this forum? :D

I don't really like Megadeth's So Far, So Good... So What! because of the bad production, bad vocals (I usually like Mustaine's vocals), bad drums and bad second guitarist (Jeff Young).

I'm not too fond of Iron Maiden's Killers album either.

I've never liked anything created by Metallica, Frank Zappa (though admittedly I've only waded through ~15 albums of his, so I could be missing something, but I got through his classic albums), ELP, or Chicago. Well, okay, I like a couple songs from Chicago, but a whole album is too much. So whatever their classic albums are.

Perfect thread for a cantankerous old bugger like me.

I despise the Grateful Dead. I mean really, really hate them. It's borderline irrational, I realize that, but still.

Likewise Kiss. Kiss is bad. Really bad. With the exception of a couple of songs, they simply suck. So, not a fan of their classic albums like Alive or Destroyer. Or any of the others for that matter. (I admit that "New York Groove" by Ace Frehley is a guilty pleasure, though.) Never been much of an Anthrax fan, either.

Other than Metallica, I'd agree with Kill Devil Hill's list.

And, though I respect Bob Dylan, if you said I could never again listen to Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, or any of his other legendary albums, I'd be totally fine with that. I do enjoy my Audio Fidelity Greatest Hits CD, though.

Agreed about Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan.

Also, Let It Bleed bores me.

Not really a fan of anything by Metallica, never really cared for a lot of the more loved bands... Metallica, Zeppelin, Kiss (like the odd song thats it)... many tbh.

Any by Bob Dylan. I really just can't get into his stuff. Trust me, I've tried. A number of my family members praise the man but I find myself feeling the opposite.

Reign in Blood. Influential, high performance but really low in songwriting quality. Only two good songs, rest are garbage.

Never heard Kiss and Bob Dylan, only heard one album by Grateful Dead.

Anything classic by bands I don't like: E.g. Megadeth, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin.

Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool (slow, boring, undynamic and simple)
Kiss - Creatures of the Night (full of filler)

Quoting three picks above:
The Grateful Dead are boring as hell
Zappa is self-indulgent wankery
Slayer is noise
;)

Is Grateful Dead really that bad ? I've only heard American Psycho from them.

Edit : I even got the name wrong, it's American Beauty. :D

American Beauty you mean...

I personally like them, not a lot but they are OK. It is very kick back, mellow, feel good songs...But I can see why some would think it is boring.

I use to be very much into The Dead but discovered the whole seen that goes with liking them wasn't for me. Their music is good but sometimes I feel they're overrated.

I don't really have an actual answer to the topic of the thread, but I do want to mention that you really don't have to like the scene that goes with a band. I mean, my favorite genre is metal, but I have short hair, don't have any interest in mosh pits, and don't drink alcohol (it is true that I'm underage, but that doesn't seem to stop anyone and I'm really not too interested in drinking when I do reach the legal age). And despite liking thrash, I don't spend my weekends beating up glam metal bands. And though that's more a sign of the times, I wouldn't do it even if there were glam bands to beat up. So the point of that was that I personally find a lot of aspects of the metal "subculture" to be stupid, yet I still listen to the music and ignore some of the people who also enjoy it. I would figure you could be a fan of the Grateful Dead without being a serial drug user or whatever else is part of that scene. My stepfather is a fan of theirs and I do not get the impression that he uses drugs beyond alcohol.

Metal "subculture" is stupid. Simple as said, all of it is stupid. I try to reach out to music by viewing the artists but not the genres. What important is the musical quality and the artist that put it out, not the genre itself. Genres are just helpers in finding the quality stuff you like, that's all.

What do you know about it? Also directed at 425 who sounds a bit stigmatizing.

Use of alcohol is massively present in non-metal culture. Perhaps even more.

I think I explained my stance on it with the edited part of my post. I find all musical "subcultures" stupid, not just metal.

I think for teens the subculture is often very important, and Flash and 425 are more the rule than the exception.
The sense of belonging and the need to stand out are very powerful motivators, even when - ironically - you are trying to show you are different by adapting the colours of a specific, pre-existing group.
And music is often a key element.

Metallica is a great example of a band that forged its rep on this, and still wears the consequences of "betraying" that core group 30 years later.

Use of alcohol is massively present in non-metal culture. Perhaps even more.

While this is naturally an accurate statement, it seems to be heavily emphasized by a number of metal artists and fans (a good illustration of this attitude is James Hetfield's onstage persona in the 80s, when he talked a lot about beer, though it is certainly not the only example). Probably something about it being "manly" to drink beer relating to the fact that metal is, unfortunately, fairly male dominated (while there are certainly metal women, and I of course mean them no offense, observation would suggest that majority of the fans are male).

I meant no offense to those who do use alcohol, and that may have been a poor choice of example on my part. It was merely meant to emphasize that a case where I differ from the subculture.

Back