Bruce Dickinson Survivor 2012, Results thread - Joint Winners!

Satisfied with the results?

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
Dive! Dive! Dive! (8), All the Young Dudes (7), Bring Your Daughter (8), Fire (9), Over and Out (10), No Way Out... Continued (8) are eliminated.

Results
Tattooed Millionaire
5. All the Young Dudes (2)
6 (tie). Dive! Dive! Dive! (2)
6 (tie). Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaugher (2)
8 (tie). Hell on Wheels (1)
8 (tie). Winds of Change (1)
10. No Lies (1)
11. Gypsy Road (0)
12. Ballad of Mutt (0)
13. Zulu Lulu (0)
14 Lickin' the Gun (0)

Balls to Picasso
12. No Way Out... Continued (1)
13. Fire (1)
14. Over and Out (1)
15 (tie). Fire Child (0)
15 (tie). Cadillac Gas Mask (0)
17 (tie). Elvis Has Left the Building (0)
17 (tie). Spirit and Joy (0)
17 (tie). Tibet (0)

Darkness Be My Friend
Gods of War
Laughing in the Hiding Bush
Shoot All the Clowns
No Way Out...To Be Continued

1. Tattooed Millionaire
  2. Born in '58
  3. Darkness Be My Friend
  4. Cyclops
  5. Hell No
  6. Gods of War
  7. 1000 Points of Light
  8. Laughing in the Hiding Bush
  9. Change of Heart
  10. Shoot All the Clowns
  11. Sacred Cowboys
  12. Tears of the Dragon
Please don't understand me wrong. I really dig all these songs I just voted for. It's just that I want to make a stand for the two remaining Ballsb-sides. These aren't just b-sides: We're talking about a pair of insanely good songs.
When I bought the Tears of the Dragon CD-single I was stunned by them. No way I expected that b-sides could be as strong as these two! The melodies are excellent, and the guitar work and vocals are gorgeous.

“The Breeding House” has some nice melodic guitar lines that rock! I also like the “nasty” interval with the “Come to see the carnival, come to witness fear…” lyric (what a bone-slashing riff underneath!)

"No Way Out...To Be Continued" is a very rich song. Evil riffing! But very melodic as well.
The "Welcome to the World young man"-part (especially the second!) is priceless.

Perhaps Bruce (or the record company who enforced Bruce to record an Aerosmith kind of song for the album which became Shoot All the Clowns) thought these didn't fit the rest of the material, but when I look at all the current songs, I certainly think they deserve to survive a little longer. Anyone with me who thinks that one or two of these deserve to go further?

1000 Points of Light
Shoot All the Clowns
No Way Out...To Be Continued

@ Foro
Love both songs, but can't support you yet.
There are a few more Picasso dominoes to fall and I'd like to see more than two songs carry on at least to Accident.
Let's thin them out a bit more, then move on to graduate Millionaire.
Darkness, Gods, Bush, Clowns

I'm just choosing the 3 songs that are just a notch weaker than the ones remaining. I'd rather vote that way than wipe out 10 songs. :p

Sacred Cowboys
Shoot All the Clowns <- that was a little painful

3 bonuses
Shoot All The Clowns

@ Foro
Love both songs, but can't support you yet.
There are a few more Picasso dominoes to fall and I'd like to see more than two songs carry on at least to Accident.
Let's thin them out a bit more, then move on to graduate Millionaire.
I can't really see how you disagree with me here (or why you don't support).
I'm just choosing the 3 songs that are just a notch weaker than the ones remaining. I'd rather vote that way than wipe out 10 songs. :p
Don't worry, that never happens.

I find it amazing that Hell No has two times less votes than No Way out to Be Continued. Also, I find it hard to imagine what people find so magnificent about 1000 Points of Light (come on: 2 votes only, in this phase, in between so many jewels?? *shakes head*). I am sure that the B-side prejudice is still stuck in some of our heads here. Too bad, but at least I tried.

The upside is that The Breeding House is doing well! :)

I find it amazing that Hell No has two times less votes than No Way out to Be Continued. Also, I find it hard to imagine why people find e.g. 1000 Points of Light better (2 votes only, in this phase, in between so many jewels?? *shakes head*). I am sure that the B-side prejudice is still stuck in some of our heads here. Too bad, but at least I tried.
The upside is that The Breeding House is doing well! :)

I think you are selling 1,000 Points and Hell No short. Both are very good songs, well-composed and original with great lyrics and tight playing.
I put ...to be Continued at about the same level in terms of ranking, but in a different category of song.
It has more going on, but it seems — unfinished, perhaps? — in comparison to the other two.
The Breeding House is a cut above all three. Great musically, plus a compelling lyric. (I'd never heard of Unit 731 before the song. Disturbing stuff.)

I just noticed that the song there is No Way Out... To Be Continued. :eek: I thought it was Continued and voted for it.

@Mckindog:
I have not the feeling that No Way Out To Be Continued sounds unfinished, but everyone to his own of course. I reckon that most people who voted for it, prefer more simple straightforward songs (or are still too unfamiliar with Bruce's extra tracks).

I feel that both Hell No and 1000 Points are more dragging/repetitive songs. Hell No gets more exciting later on but 1000 Points does not really build up to something better. It has not very enjoyable couplets (stupid humpty dumpty riff!) or solo. Imo Laughing in the Hiding Bush is musically stronger than these two (great couplets + awesome solo in different chord modus).

I am glad you like The Breeding House though. I like that one a bit better than No Way Out To Be Continued myself, but I remain of the opinion that most songs out there can't stand in the shadow of the latter.

@Ariana:
That one was already out in the previous round (I always read the opening posts of the "game master" to make sure what happened ;-)

Great to see the appreciation of this forum for Change of Heart.
This is also a more simple song (relatively seen) but what great melodies and such sensitive guitar work. A pure gem. The singing is beautiful as well.

And how will Cyclops fare?
Now it does well but it's to be expected that it could be beaten by its "concurrent", the anthemic Tears of the Dragon, a song that got much more attention in Bruce's solo career.

Cyclops has this unique sci-fi atmosphere that I really like. Having both African percussion and heavy guitars in one song, I find that really original. It's a powerful epic full of hypnotic guitar work.

I know, I should have looked more carefully.
I think 1000 Points of Light is the weakest song on the album .

@Foro
Unpolished may be a better word than unfinished for ...to be Continued. It just seems to have a bit of a demo feel, like they worked on it to a point, decided it wasn't going to be on the album, then tossed it aside.
Composition-wise it had the potential to be an elite epic track, but it doesn't quite get there. Very good song, though.

And even though I like the song, "humpty dumpty couplets" is a great description for 1,000 Points.

Great to see the appreciation of this forum for Change of Heart.
This is also a more simple song (relatively seen) but what great melodies and such sensitive guitar work. A pure gem. The singing is beautiful as well.

And how will Cyclops fare?
Now it does well but it's to be expected that it could be beaten by its "concurrent", the anthemic Tears of the Dragon, a song that got much more attention in Bruce's solo career.

Cyclops has this unique sci-fi atmosphere that I really like. Having both African percussion and heavy guitars in one song, I find that really original. It's a powerful epic full of hypnotic guitar work.

All of this stuff is bang on. These are elite tracks for exactly the reasons you point out.
But they are up against the awesome Breeding House and the epic Tears. I'm still shaking my head about how the latter missed the top 10 in the last Bruce Survivor and would like to correct that injustice.
But I still haven't decided how I'm going to vote at crunch time.
Like I said above, I'd like to see a number of these move on.
Next round it's time to promote the Millionnaire songs.
Better yet, dump the bottom five and move on to Skunkworks.

I honestly don't get how No Way Out... To Be Continued has twice as many votes as Sacred Cowboys. Sacred Cowboys is great, but NWO is one of Bruce's masterpieces, imo. I would place NWO in the top 2 of the remaining songs.

I'm not sure which offends me more. NWO's votes or the fact that someone keeps voting for Cyclops every round. :p

But hey, it definitely keeps the game more interesting.

Back