The Alchemist

How good is The Alchemist on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Corrections and additions in RED below...

attackrobot said:
Here's my attempt at the lyrics.  Some words I just couldn't understand, but I think I got most of it.  Khan, or anyone else, if you could help out, that would be awesome.

Stranger than the comet as it streaks across the sky
Stranger than the truth I know before my open eyes
I have dealt in mysteries and trickery, of light to entertain
Looked into the abyss, called it by its name

I have plundered time itself, put the world inside it
I'm the mysteries, day and night, divide it
A plague of wonders, on your knees beside me
Know the secrets, you shall not deride us

My dreams of empire from my frozen queen
Will come to pass
Know me, the Magus I am Dr. Dee
And this is my house

I am the master of the tides
I shame the mirror in my sight
What random music of the spheres
Across the years

Know this
I will return to this land
Rebuild where the ruins did stand
Chain up the demons set free
Strange alchemy

Gather round the aimless and the feckless and the lame
Hear the master summon up the spirits by their names
I curse you Edward Kelly your betrayal for eternity is damned
Know you speak with demons, you cannot command

Even as I looked into the glass then I was blinded
Burning by the Mortlake shore my house my books inside it
You have taken up my wife and lain beside her
Now the black rain on my house, the timbers burning

My dreams of empire from my frozen queen
Will come to pass
Know me, the Magus I am Dr. Dee
And this was my house

I was the keeper of the books
I had the knowledge of the scrolls
But now through ignorance and fear
I cast a shadow through the years

Know this
Strange alchemy

Know this
Strange alchemy

Know this
Restore the knowledge memory
Strange alchemy

I liked this song since I heard the sample, and it was even better in the full version with the 'strange alllll-che-myyyy" end to chorus. It's still too early for me to catch the lyrics to the songs as I'm just kind of trying to listen to everything at once, however I do enjoy the "I am the master of the tides!" line near the beginning. I also consider this song to be far superior to Mercenary and the Pilgrim. Mercenary I like up until the chorus, although I also like the solos. Pilgrim never did much for me. I am loving this album, by the way!

As several others have said I instantly made the connection between this song and similar, re-union era rockers such as The Mercenary however this song I feel is far superior to others because of its wonderful, sing-along but not repetitive chorus and the awesome lyrics. Although it probably won't be my favourite song of the album it is easy to listen to and very enjoyable, the album needs a song like this and I feel it complements the group of other shorter songs, El Dorado, Mother of Mercy and Coming Home perfectly!

On first listen this seemed to be the weakest of the bunch... but I'm loving it now.  Cranked it full blast in the car with the windows down and "got" it finally.

Yeah, John Dee was an alchemist (obviously), as well as a Mathematician, adviser to Queen Elizabeth, and a bunch of other shit. He considered his studies in magic just as legitimate as his studies in mathematics. He was not very successful communicating with spirits until he met a man who called himself Edward Talbot (really Edward Kelley) in 1583. He worked with Kelley and kept meticulous records of their "spiritual conferences" until 1587 in the Kingdom of Bohemia when Kelley claimed a spirit told him they must share Dee's wife. Dee allowed it (assuming it's genuineness) but immediately afterward broke off the conferences and their relationship. He returned home to find his house destroyed and many of his books stolen.

LordMaiden said:
Man, if there is one song Bruce is perfect on, its this one.

Fact! Arrrrrgh, amazing song. Amazing album. I love the fact that the lyrics to the pre-chorus (bridge?) change. I am the master of the tides!

LordMaiden said:
Man, if there is one song Bruce is perfect on, its this one.

I'd disagree.  I'd say he sounds really strained on some of the higher verses.

My nod would go toward When The Wild Winds Blow.

Holy shit. This really is the type of song I hadn't expected anymore. A short and strong song!
Maiden can still do it! Rainmaker was perhaps the last one of this level. That one had its own qualities, but this one has way more energy. A very fresh song.

In fact, I find it one of the best short songs (under 5 minutes) of this line-up. Yes, it does remind us a lot of "Be Quick Or Be Dead" and "Man On The Edge" (some riffs, and the couplets), but this song has more melody in the chorus, and there's another aspect I admire:

There are many different parts in this short and fast track. How did he come up with all this shit all of a sudden?
Must be "strange alchemy!"

A lot of variation, great chorus, and some powerful guitar melodies. Janick: I am less happy with your other track, but thanks for this one! This is indeed what the album needed. :rocker:

I won't say outright that it's better than Rainmaker (That was like my favorite song for a year or so, and still my favorite single of the reunion era), but I absolute love love LOOOOOVE the Thin Lizzy guitar tone on this song.

I like this way more then Rainmaker.  I do like Rainmaker and I'm not knocking your opinion, because I seem to be in a small group of people who weren't that high on the song.

I always thought it was like the single most pop song Iron Maiden have ever made.  I do quite enjoy it though.  I just didn't get the love it gets.  I'm too mental to understand it haha.

Dude, it's cool you don't need to justify your differing opinion, I like the Alchemist a lot as well, it really helps balance TFF, which is something AMOLAD kinda lacked (still an awesome album though)

What a fantastic little track. Of janicks reunion shorties I rate this track above them all: The Mercenary, Montsegur, Gates of Tomorrow and The Pilgram. The Alchemist seems simpler than all yet is sweet on the ears. The guitar lick in the chorus almost nestles Bruces voice.

Sometimes simple is king. 

UpTheIrons said:
As several others have said I instantly made the connection between this song and similar, re-union era rockers such as The Mercenary however this song I feel is far superior to others because of its wonderful, sing-along but not repetitive chorus and the awesome lyrics. Although it probably won't be my favourite song of the album it is easy to listen to and very enjoyable, the album needs a song like this and I feel it complements the group of other shorter songs, El Dorado, Mother of Mercy and Coming Home perfectly!

I agree with you.

This song is so much fun.

It reminds me of when I'd put on the Powerslave record my dad owned and always repeat Flash of the Blade just because it was so much fun.  You just kind of want to thrash around and belt it out, haha.  On an artistic level, maybe it's not super deep or meaningful, but it's a lot of fun and that's something that is hard to accomplish sometimes.  So mad props to Maiden.  Awesome shit.

Back