IRON MAIDEN ALBUM SURVIVOR 2023: Results -> Somewhere In Time wins!

That's what I am talking about.
Apologies then, thought you were talking about SIASL, which admittedly has a great build up in its instrumental section. But the final minutes of SSOASS are some of my absolute favorites. That section is arguably one of the high points of Maiden's career, in my opinion at least.

Apologies then, thought you were talking about SIASL, which admittedly has a great build up in its instrumental section. But the final minutes of SSOASS are some of my absolute favorites. That section is arguably one of the high points of Maiden's career, in my opinion at least.
Though I completely disagree with you about Stranger I agree the final minutes of Seventh Son are magical.

Top 17
03. Brave New World
Awesome and well deserved ranking for BNW! :)

My vote is for:

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Both albums are some of Maiden's best (especially as a whole piece) - metal classics, lots of classic songs! Also - very consistent albums.
The only ''part'' in SIT I don't like is the chorus of Heaven Can Wait, while I like Can I Play With Madness and The Prophecy (the music is so good) and they're good songs, but they were never a favorites of mine.

Really tough decision here. I think SiT is the more consistent album, it's weakest point is probably SOM or HCW, which are still both solid songs. It's a no-skip album for me. Lots of 4 out of 5 songs throughout.

SSOASS arguably has higher highs, but it also has The Prophecy, which is ruined by some really poor vocals that have no decent hook or melody. I imagine Steve insisted that the album needed this song in order for the story to work, but it really should have had a rewrite. The intro and outro are really cool though.

I'm not a big fan of CIPWM either, it's just too cheesy for me.

SiT and SSOASS are on a level pegging for me. Easily the two best 80's albums imo. Looking at the way this survivor is shaping up the Top 4 is looking to be exactly how I would rank them. Below that things change for me, with the 4 90's albums taking the bottom slots.

The Prophecy, which is ruined by some really poor vocals that have no decent hook or melody. I imagine Steve insisted that the album needed this song in order for the story to work, but it really should have had a rewrite.
I think these type of vocals were needed for the ''emotion'' of the song that Steve wanted to deliver. And it's nice to have one song with such unique vocals feature, and outro. Something different.
I genuinely wonder if SIT would've won if it weren't for the Future Past tour. I'm guessing no.
Good question. I think it would still have been near the top.
SiT and SSOASS are on a level pegging for me. Easily the two best 80's albums imo.
I agree. Special albums.

I genuinely wonder if SIT would've won if it weren't for the Future Past tour. I'm guessing no.
I wondered that myself but didn't comment about it. As I find it a great album all on it's own merit. I just don't think it's a better overall album than Seventh Son.

Somewhere in Time is the album that got me into Maiden during the 80s and the only one that never left my rotation when I drifted away from the band for decades. When the COVID lockdowns started I was using it as my exercise music, and that's what inspired me to look back into their entire catalog.

Reactions: Yax
The past year has seen a massive re-evaluation of SiT and it only seems fair that it should take the top spot when POWERSLAVE is already gone. Give it to the underdog and get SSOASS outta here.
I encourage y’all to go back and look at past games hosted here and you’ll see that Somewhere In Time frequently wins these games or comes within striking distance. There’s no reevaluation or real tour bump imo (other than Alexander doing so well in the survivor). More like the album has been so hyped by fans that Maiden is currently on a fan service tour dedicated to it.

I encourage y’all to go back and look at past games hosted here and you’ll see that Somewhere In Time frequently wins these games or comes within striking distance. There’s no reevaluation or real tour bump imo (other than Alexander doing so well in the survivor). More like the album has been so hyped by fans that Maiden is currently on a fan service tour dedicated to it.
Doesn't the exact same thing apply to SSOASS though? SIT used to be a bit of a forgotten sibling, but saw a revival in the last couple of decades. From the general discourse about those two albums that I've seen in the fandom SSOASS is usually the fan favorite, even if at points the difference is minimal. I genuinely think that the tour influenced the rounds.

Back