The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great show overall. Dave did an amazing job on all his solos, while Adrian's sound was sometimes mediocre. Bruce made a huge mistake on the second chorus of HOE, ruining one the best moments of the song, and he completely massacred The Trooper.
The bad news for me is that Maiden now has two silly dancers. Janick is beyond repair, but wtf is doing Bruce ? And this stage outfit ?
Some backdrops where really lazy, others great. I think Kalata is right in assuming that Celts will stay in the setlit. They seem to enjoy it, and the backdrop is here to stay.
And, at last, the crowd went nuts for FotD and The Trooper.
He get the words wrong or trooper or just struggling with it because at this point it really should be in Eb that song or dropped as it's so demanding

@Lamia020281 and me entered the hall at the end of The Raven Age´s gig. Never heard them before but the 2 remaining songs didn´t trigger me to dive into their discography. From where we were standing we had a pretty good view on the stage.
The sound was great although some solo´s sounded abit muddy but maybe it was because of my earplugs.

Highlights for me:
Stranger In A Strange Land
(Only minor complaint is the Bruce talk during the beginning of Adrians solo)
The Prisoner (although not one of my favorite songs, it fits into this setlist well)
The Writing On The Wall
Can I Play With Madness
Alexander The Great
Fear Of The Dark (The crowd went nuts)
Hell On Earth (Good choice to open the encore with this one!)

Mini rant: People, stop throwing your half empty beer cups into the crowd! Seen at least a dozen cups flying in the air but was lucky none of them landed on us. Do I start to sound like an old fart now? I am a bloody one. :lol:

Thank you Iron Maiden for an amazing show and great performance.
The exodus of the fans to the metro was quite challenging. The regular travellers didn´t understand what was happening.

Last edited:
Next in the series: Light show content!

Edit: the idea for this tour came about halfway through the US tour last year.

Last edited:
Next in the series: Light show content!

Edit: the idea for this tour came about halfway through the US tour last year.
Basically confirming my suspicions.

What happened is very likely this:

They started talking about what they want to play during Senjutsu tour. At least 3 members wanted to do SIASL again (Bruce, H and Nicko). So, that was shortlisted. Then Nicko pushed for ATG and that was shortlisted too. Wasted Years was also likely to be the closer again, as they loved closing the shows with it during TBOS. So, they had 1 SIT not-so-frequently played song and 1 SIT never performed song in the set plus the most popular one and said, fuck it, we are already playing the first 3 Senjustu songs in the set, lets drop 2 of those and add a couple more SIT songs and do a hybrid tour instead of playing 7 Senjutsu songs, Alexander, SIASL and 6 standard classics.

Also, Nicko called this tour "Senjutsu tour" before the start of LOTB 2022.

Great show overall. Dave did an amazing job on all his solos, while Adrian's sound was sometimes mediocre. Bruce made a huge mistake on the second chorus of HOE, ruining one the best moments of the song, and he completely massacred The Trooper.
The bad news for me is that Maiden now has two silly dancers. Janick is beyond repair, but wtf is doing Bruce ? And this stage outfit ?
Some backdrops where really lazy, others great. I think Kalata is right in assuming that Celts will stay in the setlit. They seem to enjoy it, and the backdrop is here to stay.

Might not be intentional, but Bruce looks like Doc from Back to the Future!

1689320410963.jpeg

Might not be intentional, but Bruce looks like Doc from Back to the Future!

View attachment 28571
Could be. I think he is going to far on this tour. Does he really prepare his speeches? They sound stupid, pointless, sometimes it's embarrassing. And damn, his singing can be crystal clear, but his talking is terribly difficult to understand.
And this habbit of talking above beautiful instrumentals. He totally ruined SiaSL's solo during Amsterdam's gig.

Could be. I think he is going to far on this tour. Does he really prepare his speeches? They sound stupid, pointless, sometimes it's embarrassing. And damn, his singing can be crystal clear, but his talking is terribly difficult to understand.
And this habbit of talking above beautiful instrumentals. He totally ruined SiaSL's solo during Amsterdam's gig.
What was the speech about the apples about?

At least he does not dress up like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle like in 1986/1987!

His speeches are beyond moronic these days and absolutely embarrassing. Thankfully, the singing is still outstanding for the most part.

Great you explained. I was unable to answer MindRuler's question:I didn't understand anything myself.

He has a very nasal speaking voice after his cancer treatment (not his fault, obviously) that sometimes makes it more challenging to understand him. The rambling nature of the bollocks that comes out of his gob (his fault, obviously) does not help though.

I have to admit that I really like Bruce's stage outfit. Honestly, the Dune/Back to the Future thing fits the show very well and as far as Bruce's stage outfits over the years go, it's... somewhat tasteful!

Just my opinion, of course. :p

I've seen a lot of comments against Can I Play With Madness, and sure, there would be dozens of songs I would technically prefer over it and yes, it might be the weakest cut from my favourite album. So what. Being a weakest song on Seventh Son doesn't really indicate that much and every single time I've heard it live, be it this year or during Maiden England tour, the crowd has been totally into it.

It's a fantastic live song and exactly what the show needs right after Death of the Celts.

...okay, I admit being terrible when it comes to criticizing this tour and the set, but oh well.

In Amsterdam he blathered some nonsense about our planet dying, but all of it being bullshit, and he don't care cause he won't be around anymore when everything goes up in flames. Unnecessary if you ask me ( :

Yeah, his talk in the second London show was quite similar. His speeches don't usually bother me that much, but frankly, that one was particularly tactless.

Last edited:
Adrian had sound issues(?) in London again (he even threw his pick). Or he really hates playing the songs (or his solos?) fast. Dave has alsways been great. As for the dancing, I think Bruce is having a lot of fun and that's great. About his stage costume, I think it's great - maybe I could have changed the colour of the trousers. I think ''lazy'' backdrops can be called the ones for Time Machine, HCW/SIASL, IM and Wasted Years. I thought they were going to use a backdrop that shows a fight between the two Eddies (for CIPWM maybe).

Btw, during the recent tours, which of the staple classics got the best reaction live? FOTD, Trooper, RTTH or Hallowed and NOTB. Probably the first two.
... instead of playing 7 Senjutsu songs, Alexander, SIASL and 6 standard classics.
I think they would have played 6 SJ songs originally. Anyway, the stage set is very cool given the late idea for the tour.

I think ''lazy'' backdrops can be called the ones for Time Machine, HCW/SIASL, IM and Wasted Years. I thought they were going to use a backdrop that shows a fight between the two Eddies (for CIPWM maybe).

How so? I think the one used for Days of Future Past & The Time Machine is somewhat neat, kind of a cool idea to use Wasted Years single artwork as a basis. Well it would've been even better to end the show it it, but they often close the show with the tour poster backdrop, or something of similar nature, anyway. I think the same backdrop for Caught Somewhere in Time, Heaven Can Wait and Stranger in a Strange Land with a slight change in the mood works pretty well; it'd be waste to use that Blade Runner style city landscape during just one song, in my opinion. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back