War Of Epics: Results

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Never heard that Yes song or the Gamma Ray song before, and while I don't like the vocals on Rebellion in Dreamland, the song is epic as hell. Roundabout has too many keyboard scales being played under vocals.

'tallica.

I do like Rebellion in Dreamland, it's the best thing Gamma Ray ever did, but I also think it's cheesy and overblown to the extent that I can't really take it seriously. Not with that voice, anyway.

First pairing is tough, "Rebellion" has a certain majesty to it, though the vocals are annoying. "Roundabout" gets the edge on Chris Squire's bass playing.

I am NOT a fan of Meat Loaf. At all. So the second pairing was easy for me.

Phase 1, Round 10 Results:
Rebellion In Dreamland and …And Justice For All are promoted, Roundabout and Bat Out Of Hell are eliminated.
User standings are updated here.

Phase 1, Round 11:
vs.
-
vs.

First pair is brutal. I have to think it over but I'm leaning Symphony X.

Wow Ghost Love Score was very cool. I'll have to check that album out.

Went with The Odyssey. :D

Both deserve to move on though.

The Court Of The Crimson King has an awesome atmosphere, but The Odyssey is just too good.

Sol Invictus is pretty good, but there are better songs on that album, and it's going against Ghost Love Score which is the best Nightwish song...

That first pair is truly excellent having never listened to the former song before. I went with Crimson King, but it's very close.

Odyssey, Ghost Love Score. It was a close one in the second pair. I'd have much preferred Twelve Stars and an Azure Gown to Sol Invictus, but I guess that's slightly too short for this game. :(

Voted with the herd on Nightwish. First pair was closer, didn't realize my vote would put one of the songs in the lead. There were things I didn't like about each. Odyssey was too long.* It dragged in places, and it seemed like they started with the idea they wanted to create a song that would fill an LP side, and they had about 15 minutes of good ideas, but the remaining 10 were filler. But those 15 minutes were very good. The style of Crimson King is VERY dated, 60s-hippie-psychedelic, which I don't love. But as a song, on its own merits, I thought it was better. Obviously, Odyssey rocks harder, but the melody in Crimson King is haunting and quite beautiful. So, I voted for King Crimson.

* I'm finding this to be a reaction I have to many of the songs in this game. Too many seem to be long for length's sake. There are some 3-hour movies that are gripping throughout (e.g., Pulp Fiction, Godfather 1 & 2, LotR trilogy), and many more that are boring and drag (e.g., The Green Mile). If I think one of these "epics" strays into Green Mile territory, there are far less likely from getting my vote. Odyssey is not it THAT league, but this is a rough guideline in my mind.

Last edited:
Back