War Of Epics: Results

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Supper's Ready lost to a mediocre Priest track, Blackwater Park loses to the abomination that is Iced Earth. Brilliant.

Couldn't vote for my own nomination last round, don't know if that would make a difference, though.

Phase 1, Round 8 Results:
The Suffering Trilogy and 2112 are promoted, Blackwater Park and Methuselah's Children are eliminated.
User standings are updated here.

Phase 1, Round 9:
vs.
-
vs.

Travel In Stygian is a classic, so I'm voting for it. However, Ballad Of William Kidd is also quite solid... great sound, and just discovered that Jörg Michael plays drums on this album. Will definitely check out more of them.

I Go Insane is one of my favorite new songs in this game. Glenn Hughes and Tony Iommi is a great combination. Learning To Live is an OK song with awesome production. LaBrie isn't as good of a singer as Hughes though, and the Iommi song has a way better atmosphere though.

The two previous Running Wild albums (Black Hand Inn & Masquerade) were also with Jörg Michael. To be honest, I find longer songs from these albums (and also these albums themselves, especially Black Hand Inn!) much better. Also: pre-Jörg Michael-era epics and albums are better imo. E.g. Battle of Waterloo (from Death or Glory) or Treasure Island (from Pile of Skulls).

Still a good song, although somewhat repetitive. Unfortunately versus a top 3 Iced Earth song with amazing changes and riffs.

Hadn't heard the Running Wild song before, it's very enjoyable. But it got a bad draw against Stygian.
The Iommi song is fine, not awesome, but Dream Theater is completely lame, so Iommi gets my vote.

Phase 1, Round 9 Results:
Travel In Stygian and Learning To Live are promoted, Ballad Of William Kidd and I Go Insane are eliminated.
User standings are updated here.

Phase 1, Round 10:
vs.
-
vs.

Rebellion In Dreamland is a classic. Roundabout is just another overlong prog rock song that is too cherry and isn't really epic at all.

Bat Out Of Hell is fun, but it's not ...And Justice For All... would choose it over the Yes song though.

Gamma Ray for nailing that whole drama and grandiosity thing I mentioned earlier and making a great job of it. Roundabout is quality Yes but doesn't hit the 'epic' thing as well for me. I prefer 'Awaken' in that respect, for structure and continuity.

Metallica from the second pair. Bat Out Of Hell probably fits the bill better, but I just enjoy Metallica more. And besides, it doesn't mention bats.

Incidentally: wot no 'what is an epic' discussion?

Back