Official Football Thread

As for the off side, I'd tweak it and say no offside if one or more outfield players are in their own half. You don't want to encourage goal hangers and long balls hoofed up to them. So no offsides if any team is one the attack, generally.

Just the halfway line wouldn't prevent cherry pickers. You could cherry pick by just standing one step beyond the line and that's still a massive ground. You'd probably need to draw a different line on the pitch, maybe around 35-40 yards/meters.

Edit: Unless, I misunderstood what you're saying.

I like the idea of sending off players temporarily. In ice hockey you have 2 min for minor offenses, 5 min for bigger ones, and in the latter case the player is out for the remainder of the match (but the team get to replace him after 5 minutes). In football you could have that in addition to the normal sending off for serious fouls (dangerous tackles, violent conduct and repeated bookable offenses).

The bit about getting rid of offside, I don't like. It could easily turn the game into something more like handball. The defending team packing every player low in the pitch, the attacking team passing it from side to side looking for the small openings (pretty much like Man Utd under Van Gaal :ninja:). I like the offside rule the way it is.

Plus, if we get rid of that, how can we then separate between those who actually know football and those who just pretend to? :p

I read that. Not sure what to think, his managerial career has had ups and downs. His first couple of years at Molde were great, he managed to transform them from a club almost winning titles to actually win them. Cardiff was a disaster, but subsequent managers haven't exactly impressed there either. Owner is nuts, that doesn't help. Back at Molde he hasn't yet been able to recreate what he did in his first two years there.

I wish we could appoint Lagerbäck, but if we stick to a Norwegian manager, Solskjær would be one of my top picks.

Just the halfway line wouldn't prevent cherry pickers. You could cherry pick by just standing one step beyond the line and that's still a massive ground. You'd probably need to draw a different line on the pitch, maybe around 35-40 yards/meters.

Edit: Unless, I misunderstood what you're saying.
A lot of strikers will stand by the halfway line when their team us defending anyway.

I do see why people would be anti scrapping the offside rule, but it kills the game for me when a team is, for example, defending a free kick and the whole defence rushes out to catch the attacking team offside. I hate that. The conceded the free kick and should not get out of it that easily.

I do see why people would be anti scrapping the offside rule, but it kills the game for me when a team is, for example, defending a free kick and the whole defence rushes out to catch the attacking team offside. I hate that. The conceded the free kick and should not get out of it that easily.

You could abolish the offside rule specifically on freekicks, though.

And of course, Man Utd doesn't capitalize on this. Friggin' Stoke. At least Rooney broke the record.

Pep is playing Yaya Toure as the sole midfielder and Otamendi and Kolarov in central defence, Spurs should really destroy them...

They turned it back around.

Finishing is surprisingly an issue for City this season despite all the offensive talent they have. They seem to outplay teams, create more chances than anyone else but aren't able to finish the deal. Add to that their bad defense and they drop points left and right.

If any game of football is "a game of two halves" it is this one between Liverpool and Southampton. The Saints had several golden opportunities to score before half time. After the break, the Liverpool pressure has been nearly continuous. How it is still 0-0 is beyond me.

Milan lost 2:1 to Juventus in Coppa Italia. Was so close to coming back but right after scoring the first goal Locatelli got sent off and that was it for the game. At least they fought until the very last minute.

Southampton beats Liverpool 1:0 to go on to the League Cup final where they will play Man Utd or Hull :D

Fuck Udinese. They beat Milan yesterday. They injured Bonaventura who requires surgery and is probably out for the season. That little shit De Paul injured De Sciglio with a two footed tackle to the ankle, then proceeded to score right after, but before we had time to make a sub.

C3WnwtNXUAMNvAi.jpg

All hopes for CL lost without Bonaventura. De Sciglio's injury most likely won't need surgery but he'll probably be out until March or so.

Back