Official Football Thread

The one thing you can say about Graham Taylor was that he was a very good club manager. This is proven by how Watford, Villa and Lincoln City see him. Managing the national side was possibly his worst part of his managerial career but he was slightly unlucky with injuries etc. in his qualification for USA 94 (Shearer was out for most of that time). That said, the most in form striker at that time was Mark Hateley who was banging in goals against the best in Europe as Rangers progressed quite nicely in the European Cup. Should he have picked him instead of, say, Les Ferdinand? It matters not now, but for the club's he managed, he was warmly appreciated. 72 is still quite young.

Guardiola hasn't been exposed. He's just been bad. Terrible job transitioning his strategies into Premier League.

Having two overrated, overpriced centre backs isn't helping either.

[Michael Owen]Tom Davies looks like a football player[/Michael Owen]

City has an awful defence. They need to get rid of all the fullbacks and replace them with new ones + get another center back.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bravo close your legs you whore :D

OK, Man Utd, don't disappoint me against Liverpool. Clyne and Matip out, Coutinho on the bench, Alexander-Arnold and Can starting - while apart from Shaw, Utd is playing the strongest lineup.

City has an awful defence. They need to get rid of all the fullbacks and replace them with new ones + get another center back.

Yep. This is what's been fucking them up this season. They're fine offensively, but they concede goals way too easily. Otamendi is trash. Sagna, Kolarov and Clichy are all meh. On top of it all, Bravo has been atrocious.

Pogba was awful, and the central defence looked like they had never played together before. Disappointing game. The first 20 minutes period after half time was good though. Had the equalizer come then, I think United would've won.

I just read Van Basten, busy with renewing the game in his function at FIFA, wants to have shoot outs on the 2026 World Cup. In the group fase that is. Every draw should be follewed by a shoot out, like in (ice) hockey. Five players have 8 seconds to score from 25 meters.

Besides the World Cup, so I suppose in general, he'd like to see 90 minutes of pure playing time.

Another good idea in his eyes: replace yellow card by a time punishment (temporarary send off).

Another option: complete abolition of off side.

I like all these ideas although, perhaps not getting rid of off side. The consequences could be annoying.

Time penalty could make things very interesting. Teams would be trying their best to take advantage of the missing man, therefore speeding up the tempo. It would also punish teams who just look to play super physical and stop the opponent instead of trying to attack. It works very well in handball and hockey. (Granted I haven't seen much of either sport, but it's what I observed)

On the other hand, it could also lead to a softened game because players would be trying hard to avoid time penalties.

I just read Van Basten, busy with renewing the game in his function at FIFA, wants to have shoot outs on the 2026 World Cup. In the group fase that is. Every draw should be follewed by a shoot out, like in (ice) hockey. Five players have 8 seconds to score from 25 meters.
Not keen on this idea. Keep the group stages as they are and the knock out as it is.

Another good idea in his eyes: replace yellow card by a time punishment (temporarary send off).

Another option: complete abolition of off side.
Now I quite like both of these. The sin bin works well in rugby, so why not football. As for the off side, I'd tweak it and say no offside if one or more outfield players are in their own half. You don't want to encourage goal hangers and long balls hoofed up to them. So no offsides if any team is one the attack, generally.

I would also like only one player, the captain or any one nominated outfield player if the captain is the keeper, can talk to the ref. And the ref can call on the captains to keep their players in line. Again, this works well in rugby.

Back