Judas Priest

Thanks for the information Forostar!

As for you Albie...I'll throw a Perun and just say: *sigh*

Metalshrine: I read somewhere that you're planning on playing the whole album live. Any truth to that?

Rob Halford: Yeah, we will do that.

Metalshrine: The same kind of thing that IRON MAIDEN did?

Rob Halford: Yeah, that's what MAIDEN's just done and I think that's gonna be another core moment, because we've never done that ourselves. We kind of put that out in the press release, while we were writing the record and we wanted people to know that that's what our intentions are gonna be and then of course when MAIDEN came out they went into that world as well and it's proved really successful for them. It'll be a full performance front to back with a very elaborate and theatrical stage show and again, that's something new for us and for our fans around the world.

rest: http://web.telia.com/~u43123410/mfintervju219.html
------

pretty confident statement !
I wouldn't mind, it could be cool. But Maiden decided to play it life after they found out how well the album did. Priest seems to have decided this before the work is even done !

:)

to be continued I guess ;)

This statement really raises the bar for the upcoming album. It shows they are very confident about it, so it has to be good...and for them to do as Maiden did with AMOLAD must mean it is great. Ergo, I now have very high expectations (perhaps this is not sucha good thing). Well, we shall see.  :yey:

JUDAS PRIEST guitarist K.K. Downing has announced the launch of his long-awaited personal web site, www.kkdowning.net

K.K.'s Steel Mill, as the site is known, gives a distinct flavor of the Black Country, a name given to the massive area of industry where K.K. was born.

The site has interpretations in many different languages and has many unique offerings not just for JUDAS PRIEST fans but for rock and metal fans all over the world.

The site also contains many different features such as interviews and reviews of other bands, unseen video footage, and mysteries to unlock, not forgetting some PRIEST goodies that are extremely rare.

K.K. and his mill workers claim that if you are into metal then the Steel Mill is the place where you belong.

So feed the flames of the furnaces by logging on!

I recently took a walk down memory lane and put on Sad wings of destiny for the first time in almost 25 years. MY GOD! The vocal reach of Rob Halford is amazing, the songs are brilliant (most of them) and it's great to be brought back to your early teens again sometimes :D I've played 2 songs for my wife (who didn't like Priest at all when I played some Screaming for vengeance for her): Dreamer Deceiver and Victim of Changes, and now she's a big fan of Judas Priest. The entire catalogue until Defenders of the faith. She doesn't like the more recent stuff, and I kind of agree with her.

Anomica said:
I recently took a walk down memory lane and put on Sad wings of destiny for the first time in almost 25 years. MY GOD! The vocal reach of Rob Halford is amazing, the songs are brilliant (most of them) and it's great to be brought back to your early teens again sometimes :D I've played 2 songs for my wife (who didn't like Priest at all when I played some Screaming for vengeance for her): Dreamer Deceiver and Victim of Changes, and now she's a big fan of Judas Priest. The entire catalogue until Defenders of the faith. She doesn't like the more recent stuff, and I kind of agree with her.

Have you heard 'Angel of Retribution'? It's a great album with powerful riffs, ballads and godlike vocals. Check it out if you haven't already.

Forostar said:
Painkiller beats this album in all aspects, I'd say.
I agree that it beats AoR. But Painkiller isn't perfect. I really don't like "Hell Patrol". It's just...boring. But AoR has some great songs, and not a single bad one.

Yax said:
I agree that it beats AoR. But Painkiller isn't perfect. I really don't like "Hell Patrol". It's just...boring. But AoR has some great songs, and not a single bad one.

Lochness could easily have been 5 minutes, and without that HORRIBLE first riff.  If they did that, it would have been an acceptable cheese-fest.  As it is, I sincerely hope they don't try something like that for 'Nostradamus'.

Yax said:

I disagree. The last track is waaaay too long and there's a few more weaker ones, I think.

I like "Hell Patrol" a lot, I've always thought that Bruce could sing a cool cover of this track!
:)

JUDAS PRIEST Producer Talks About Making Of 'Painkiller' - Apr. 4, 2007 

Greece's Metalzone recently conducted an interview with legendary producer Chris Tsagarides (THIN LIZZY, BLACK SABBATH, JUDAS PRIEST, BRUCE DICKINSON, GIRLSCHOOL, IAN GILLAN, KING DIAMOND, HELLOWEEN, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, OZZY OSBOURNE). A couple of excerpts from the chat follow:

On today's production techniques:

"Things have changed so much from those days 'till now, because the whole culture of recording now has changed so drastically. There aren't so many of the big studios anymore where people go along and learn to be engineers because the economy and everything has changed. People do it at home; [with] the advent of digital recording, computers, it's a lot easier and cheaper for people to be able to do it at home. But the biggest reason is that labels have become so global, so institutionalized and they would only spend money on something they can see a quick return for. Pop music, something that's disposable, something that will make a lot of moneys very quickly so that the shareholders are pleased and the company makes money. So it's more of a money-making concern than it is anything to do with art. Which it used to be… I mean it's always been a business, don't get me wrong, but there was a little bit more of a personal involvement from the people who owned the independent labels back in the day. They wanted to see… obviously make money but also see some decent music coming out. And that's the differences, I think, there are between then and now. It's still the same if you have a great band they will shine through and will become successful, that will always be. But it's not quite the same system as it used to be."

On why records don't have the same feeling as they used to:

"A lot of it has to do with the way things are done these days. Because of the technology you don't have to play everything quite so well, you don't even have to play the whole song! You can play the central parts of the song and then have it all edited together, there are machines that put your voice back in tune, machines to put the drums back in time, lots of technology. This for me, for rock music, isn't really the way to do it. Rock music is an emotion; it's a feel, a time of a band's life that is captured on a record, this is what we are writing this is what we're playing. If you don't play it from beginning to end, I don't think that’s right. You have to play your music as a musician. I don't see the point in having some clever guy with a computer do it for you. And I think that's why records now don't sound like records did back then."

On JUDAS PRIEST's "Painkiller":

"A really brutal but clear sound. When I heard the original demo, it was just guitar and a little drum machine. The song is very fast. And I said, 'Where the heck are we going to get a drummer to do this?' They said, 'Well, we got one.' And I said, 'Oh, yeah?' And there was Scott [Travis] and yes, he could do it very well. With that, having such an amazing drummer, he set the level up that much we could reproduce the speed that was on the demo. And we set out to do a very focused; I told them we have to focus on this record. You have to be… If it's heavy metal it has to be heavy metal from the beginning till the end. We have to have all the songs sorted. And I was lucky, I had written a song called 'A Touch of Evil' and they liked it and they collaborated with me and that became the single from the album. This was awesome. At that time I was the only person that had written anything on a JUDAS PRIEST album, other than being a member of the band. And for a little Greek kid from Cyprus that was pretty cool, I thought."

Read the entire interview at this location.
http://metalzone.gr/interviews/tsag.html

An MP3 of the interview can be downloaded here. 
http://metalzone.gr/sounds/tsag.mp3

I can't say I don't like Judas Priest, as I cannot say that I like them. I guess they are OK. I like "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" and I recommend "Painkiller" for the album.

Back