Judas Priest

No (something), no problems. Your language is similar to Russian.
That was Russian. :D No man, no problem. This is one of Stalin's famous quotes. I'm not sure quoting Stalin would bring me any bonus points but the phrase fitted the pattern well.

I'm kinda just getting more into Priest. I really like the Painkiller album. It sounds a lot different from the stuff they did before it. It has less 'groove', you know? It's really speed metal, and i love it, i'd compare it to some stuff like Helloween (their more recent stuff, like Gambling or 7 Sinners). I'm sure some who read that will scratch their heads though ;p But that's what I hear. And i don't get why so many are so outraged over Jugulator. It sounds like a logical evolution from the Painkiller style. Even KK said something to that effect.

I'v been a huge Maiden fan for a long time. I know the history between these two bands and how they're pitted against each other. So i don't enjoy Priest nearly as much as i do Maiden, but i'd like to get more into it and try. I just feel Priest lacks the depth and dynamics of Maiden, especially recent Maiden material (since bruce returning and the collaboration with 3 guitarists, probably a big reason for this). But I have always felt Fear of The Dark was Maiden's JP album ;p anyone know what I mean?

Nostradamus, that's an album I want to listen to. I'v heard things about it, comparing it to Blind Guardian.

I'm kinda just getting more into Priest. I really like the Painkiller album. It sounds a lot different from the stuff they did before it. It has less 'groove', you know? It's really speed metal, and i love it, i'd compare it to some stuff like Helloween (their more recent stuff, like Gambling or 7 Sinners). I'm sure some who read that will scratch their heads though ;p But that's what I hear. And i don't get why so many are so outraged over Jugulator. It sounds like a logical evolution from the Painkiller style. Even KK said something to that effect.

I'v been a huge Maiden fan for a long time. I know the history between these two bands and how they're pitted against each other. So i don't enjoy Priest nearly as much as i do Maiden, but i'd like to get more into it and try. I just feel Priest lacks the depth and dynamics of Maiden, especially recent Maiden material (since bruce returning and the collaboration with 3 guitarists, probably a big reason for this). But I have always felt Fear of The Dark was Maiden's JP album ;p anyone know what I mean?

Nostradamus, that's an album I want to listen to. I'v heard things about it, comparing it to Blind Guardian.

Painkiller is their greatest pearl, featuring many of their best songs ever. It is a point of evolution and in my opinion Ram it Down was a great predecessor to what was about to come next. Priest is usually heavier than Maiden and not as "deep", especially when it comes to lyrics, but they also have these great guitar harmonies, not to mention the solos. There is no match for the solos of Judas Priest, the way I see it. Travis joining the band was also a great thing.

Jugulator is actually not thought very bad of in this forum (I still don't like it though :D). Some of their best work besides Painkiller is Defenders of the Faith, Sin After Sin, Angel of Retribution etc.
I wouldn't say FotD is Maiden's JP album, at least not a good JP album. Nor can I see a close resemblance with Helloween, but hey, it's up to you.

Well, i just mean an album like Gambling with The Devil, or 7 Sinners, have big elements of Speed metal (not just power metal). Plus there are a few times on those albums where Deris goes super high and screams in a way similar to what Halford is known for. And I was only talking about Painkiller with that comparison. And obviously Priest is a pretty big influence on Helloween I am sure to this day, and many other Power metal bands. And i recommend listening to the song 'Deliver Us', Weikath himself compared it to Priest, and Deris is definitely doing a Halford thing with his voice.

I'd love to see another Painkiller-like album. It's a sound and style they are really great at. I don't want JP's next album to be a mix of all the different styles they done throughout their career; I want a brutal, heavy and super speedy album in the vein of Painkiller.

I believe you, Helloween could surely be influenced by Judas Priest.

As much as I love Painkiller, Priest are really good at composing calmer ballades. That is one reason why Angel of Retribution is such a great album: many high-speed powerful songs but some cleaner and very beautiful songs as well. I actually didn't like the album at the first listen but most songs have grown on me. Check it out!

Sucks how KK Downing isn't in the band anymore. I'm surprised I don't hear more people mentioning (bitching and moaning...) that very important fact. I mean, that's huge! isn't it? I'm sure the new guy is great, they would only get someone great I'm sure. But it's a different Judas Priest now.

I hope they go a little more progressive on this new one (i have not listened to Nostradamus yet). I'd be interested in seeing them be progressive in the way Maiden has been recently; I don't mean do what Maiden's been doing, but do the Judas Priest equivalent of that ;) But then again, I'd like to see more Painkiller, you know, speed metal!

Priest finishing their new album is awesome news! I'll be sure to grab it immediately when it comes out.

Priest without KK isn't as huge a deal as you claim it is, in my opinion. Faulkner is a great player and I like how he combines his own style with KK-style licks and facial movements. Sure, KK was something else but it's hard to find a better substitute than Faulkner. Now if Tipton left instead of KK, that would be a bigger problem.

I need to listen to Nostradamus again (only done it once) but I remember it being not exactly the Priest I love. I also hope for another Painkiller-ish album with fast and blastin' tracks with maybe some softer ones thrown in.

I do kinda realize that it isnt as big a deal as it would be if Tipton left, because looking at songwriting i can see Tipton gets more credits then KK.
As a huge Maiden fan, I can help but dream of how awesome it could be if KK came back and they kept all three guitarists ;p It worked wonders for Maiden ;)

I'm gonna check out Nostradamus. I'v heard things about it, like the Blind Guardian thing. Sounds interesting. I should read some interviews with them about it, I'd like to know where the inspiration for that album came from. I'd like to know, musically, what past Priest album can Nostradamus be compared to?

Musically, overall there's not actually that much that can just be compared to previous albums imo. Of course there are songs that are definitely inspired by previous songs (I'm looking at you title track), but on the flip side the orchestral elements and the like show that overall the album is quite unique in the Priest catalogue.

Back