Judas Priest

A

Anonymous

For a long time I have wanted to buy a few JP albums as many maiden fans have recommended this band.
Can anyone suggest their top 5 albums please
(This will probably be the same as asking ppl what their top 5 maiden albums are lol lots of different answers)
Many Thanks

Maverick said:

Trust Mav to try and classify true art into little categories with shiny, bright stars... :p

Basically, if you want to get a Priest album you have a wealth of styles to choose from.  First off, you have their 70's era albums (Rocka Rolla-Hell Bent for Leather).  Rocka Rolla is (as expected from a first album) quite dodgy and a bit hit-and-miss, more hard rock than metal.  Sad Wings of Destiny is a masterpiece, as are Stained Class and the monumental Unleashed in the East (live).  Through this era, you will find a very 70's style of metal in their music; not too heavy, but some great melodies and riffs going on, with Rob Halford's voice high, yet strained.  Highly recommended-try Unleashed in the East to get the best coverage.

Next we have the 80's era (British Steel to Turbo).  This era is defined by fast paced rockers, a la Maiden.  British Steel is their NotB (i.e. a breakthrough album).  Point of Entry is commercial 80's metal, if that's your thing.  Screaming for Vengeance is pretty powerful almost-power metal.  Defenders of the Faith is fast and furious, lovely stuff (esp. Sentinel).  You could get 'Priest: Live!' to sum up this era, but I would personally go for either British Steel or Screaming for Vengeance for this period.

Now we reach the 90's era (Ram it Down-present)*.  Hooo, boy, NOW we're talking.  This is bloody lethal speed metal.  Fast riffing, Scott Travis and Rob's vocals higher than most audible frequencies.  If you want to get something from this period, BUY PAINKILLER!!!!!!  If you like speed metal, you will NOT regret it!  Also, try to avoid the Tim Owens era albums (Jugulator and Demolition).  They're similarly hit and miss, without the lyrical and vocal benefits Rob brought to the band.  I like some of the stuff, but it's not good to get you into them.

Also, try getting Metal Works: 73-93.  It covers the band's best bits, while ignoring some of the filler.  35 songs of pure power, right across the board!

So to summarise, I would recommend these:
Metal Works ('73 - '93) to start
Unleashed in the East
Painkiller
Screaming For Vengeance/ Defenders of the Faith
Stained Class

This will give you a broad summary of what Priest are all about.  But, if you like Maiden, you'll love Priest (unless you despise more rock-y metal...)

Keep the faith
Silky

*Yes, I know Ram it Down was released in '88, but it effectively bridged the stylistic gap between Turbo and Painkiller, so I included it here

EDIT: Mav, are you seriously suggesting he use the Commentary scores in judging?  The only ones that aren't at least 4.5 stars are Sad Wings, Stained Class, Hell Bent... and Ram it Down, all of which deserve the same!

Buy these for starters:

Painkiller
British Steel
Screaming For Vengeance
Defenders Of The Faith
Sad Wings Of Destiny

Priest take their time to sink in. Keep listening once you buy the albums... you'll get it

I got into Priest after listening to Stained Class, and it still remains my favourite Priest album after Screaming For Vengeance. Thus, I'd recommend those two. On the other hand, British Steel is their 'classic' album, and Angel Of Retribution was also very good.

If you only buy one album, Metal Works 73-93 is the best choice; it covers all of their classic songs.

If you prefer a normal studio album, Screaming For Vengeance is my personal favorite, followed closely by Sad Wings Of Destiny. But then again, I'm more a fan of old-school classic metal than speed metal. If speed is your thing, Painkiller is great too.

Finally, the album chart on this page may interest you.

Very late reaction from my side, but I can't resist to react since Judas Priest is my favorite 'old school' band, coming 2nd right after Maiden. I have always loved this band for their guitars, drums (though Holland was not that good) and of course the vocals !

I love most albums,

- apart from:

"Turbo" (1986) --> Hate the lyrics (kill me, but I still like the music a bit)
"Point of Entry" (1981) --> Most songs are sh*te (love "Heading out to the Highway" though and a few others)
"Demolition" (2001) --> Most songs are slow and this is really not my "cup of Priest"

So where to start?? I'll pick out some of my favorite albums:

- "Sin After Sin" (1977) is my favorite 70's era-record with the excellent contribution of drummer Simon Philips, the bonesplicing "Sinner" and the atmospheric and melancholic "Here Come The Tears".

- "Defenders of the Faith" (1984) contains in my humble opinion the best A-side ever made in metal.

01 - Freewheel Burning
02 - Jawbreaker
03 - Rock Hard, Ride Free
04 - The Sentinel

..are all fantastic songs. You can't go very wrong with this album.

- "Painkiller" (1990) is the best melodic and really aggressive album ever made, period !

Two other albums I recommend are the live album "Unleashed in the East" (1979) and the studio album "British Steel" (1980).

Silky said:
Trust Mav to try and classify true art into little categories with shiny, bright stars... :p
So to summarise, I would recommend these:
Metal Works ('73 - '93) to start
Unleashed in the East
Painkiller
Screaming For Vengeance/ Defenders of the Faith
Stained Class

Keep the faith
Silky

Silky, there're some really good choices here as well as you're run-through of their development, but I'd go for Sad wings of destiny instead of Metal Works in order to show their diversity.
My list:
Sad wings of destiny - Best song: Before the dawn (Rob H can sing!)
Unleashed in the east (guitar solo on Green Manalishi is brilliant and The Ripper is just... :eek: :eek: )
Screaming for vengeance Best song: The Hellion=>Electric eye
Stained class Best song: Better by you, better than me, Beyond the realms of death.
Defenders of the faith Best song: The Sentinel

Or you could get Metal Works but then you'll miss out on the chance to find your own "greatest hits" ;)

Anomica said:
Unleashed in the east (guitar solo on Green Manalishi is brilliant :eek: )

Solo?  There are 4 solos (out of my head: 1st K.K, 2nd Glenn, 3rd K.K., 4th Glenn).. All brilliant or one of them?

:)

Forostar said:
Solo?  There are 4 solos (out of my head: 1st K.K, 2nd Glenn, 3rd K.K., 4th Glenn).. All brilliant or one of them?

:)
Sorry, for clarity's sake then:

All solos are great on that song, of course -_-, but K.K's first blew my mind the first time I heard it. I still remember my reaction to it even though I bought the album 1982-83 sometime :eek: In those days, I couldn't really decide if Maiden or Priest should be number one on my list but since I've seen Maiden 3 times and Priest 0, and own almost all Maiden albums (not all the compilations or singles) but only 7 Priest albums, I guess the winner is pretty obvious ;)

Anomica said:
Silky, there're some really good choices here as well as you're run-through of their development, but I'd go for Sad wings of destiny instead of Metal Works in order to show their diversity.
My list:
Sad wings of destiny - Best song: Before the dawn (Rob H can sing!)
Unleashed in the east (guitar solo on Green Manalishi is brilliant and The Ripper is just... :eek: :eek: )
Screaming for vengeance Best song: The Hellion=>Electric eye
Stained class Best song: Better by you, better than me, Beyond the realms of death.
Defenders of the faith Best song: The Sentinel

Or you could get Metal Works but then you'll miss out on the chance to find your own "greatest hits" ;)

Is Before the Dawn not on Killing Machine? :huh:
That said, you make very good points, although I think the best songs on Unleashed in the East are Victim of Changes (that solo...), Tyrant and Delivering the Goods.  I love the way they speed up the songs, especially Exciter and Genocide, it gives them so much more attitude.

Silky said:
That said, you make very good points, although I think the best songs on Unleashed in the East are Victim of Changes (that solo...), Tyrant and Delivering the Goods.  I love the way they speed up the songs, especially Exciter and Genocide, it gives them so much more attitude.

"Before the Dawn" is indeed on "Killing Machine" or "Hell Bent For Leather" (USA)

About "Unleashed in the East": "Sinner" should not be forgotten and "Running Wild" rules as well. Well, which song doesn't?!?! :))

Most songs from this album I prefer to their original studio versions (which also might have to do with my order of knowing them).

Much as I do actually like the Priest, I seem to recall a lot of negativity about "Unleashed in the East". I seem to remember some journos at the time *ahem* dubbing it "Unleashed in the Studio" due to all the over dubs. Is it really that bad?

This is the only album I have yet to listen to from that era (i.e. 70's/80's) of the Priest, BTW.

Albie said:
Much as I do actually like the Priest, I seem to recall a lot of negativity about "Unleashed in the East". I seem to remember some journos at the time *ahem* dubbing it "Unleashed in the Studio" due to all the over dubs. Is it really that bad?

Vocals are mainly done in the studio indeed. :/

Still great songs, great playing.

Silky said:

Of course it is *embarassed* On Sad wings... it's Dreamer deceiver I was thinking of. But I still think Before the dawn is one of JP's top 10 songs.

Victim of changes is indeed a great song and it's probably better than Green manalishi. It's just that GM was the first Priest song that got me started on them...

Forostar said:
Vocals are mainly done in the studio indeed. :/

Still great songs, great playing.

Let me explain a bit more. The band said that Halford had a terrible cold during the Japanese leg of their tour, and that's why Halford went into the studio again. I didn’t know this info for a long time and I am happy that I could judge this album without “extra knowledge.”
Still I think this live-album is amazing – so much agression, such great songs – what an energy for a band in the seventies!

Remember that Bruce also re-did a few vocals in the studio for the Live After Death - album and ALL backing vocals were redone in the studio, because H and Steve “sounded worse than West Ham supporters”. (I read this in a 1985-magazine, interview with Bruce).

It can be worse though:
I think that 99% of Halfords live album “Live Insurrection” is totally done in the studio (not only vocals – also the instruments).
The audience responses don’t fit to the music and his vocals sound too damn good compared to many bootlegs of the Resurrection tour. Also at some points 3 guitars can be analized at the same time.

I'd recommend Sad Wings of Destiny, Ram It Down and Angel of Retribution (and definitely NOT Jugulator).

Raven said:
Now we reach the 90's era (Ram it Down-present)
Hi everyone,
First of all, Ram it Down was released in 1988.
Seconly, there are many live albums that were re-touched in studio later. For example I have a "Rock in Rio" bootleg and there are quite a few vocals differences from the DVD or CD release.
I´m not sure about it, but "Live Insurrection" could have been recorded in studio...it´s so perfect that in some aspects it´s more superior than "Priest...Live!" album.
In my opinion, Judas Priest is a band which clearly shows its musical development amongst their albums, and they all sound great!
I disagree with the classification of Priest albums just because "Jugulator" has a higher rate than "Sin After Sin" or even "Stained Class"!!!
Anyway, Legionnaire, I started listening to this guys with "British Steel" album, which doesn´t mean it´s the best album for me. You should get one album of each era and listen to them...you´ll see the Priest kicks ass!!!

Also, considering Legionnaire has not followed up on his request, I think this thread is more hypothetical than anything.

Back