Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Beatles song is very impressive, but REM is better. Losing My Religion
There is no comparison. "Losing My Religion" is a nice little song that I enjoyed very much. But "A Day in the Life" is a masterpiece in all respects, not to mention one of the most important/influential songs ever recorded -- other artists of the time (most recently, David Crosby on the Howard Stern show) have described a "holy shit!" reaction when they realized the game had totally changed. Turn up the volume and listen to the orchestral crescendos. Mind-blowing, and unlike many songs from the '60s, it still holds up.

There is no comparison. "Losing My Religion" is a nice little song that I enjoyed very much. But "A Day in the Life" is a masterpiece in all respects, not to mention one of the most important/influential songs ever recorded -- other artists of the time (most recently, David Crosby on the Howard Stern show) have described a "holy shit!" reaction when they realized the game had totally changed. Turn up the volume and listen to the orchestral crescendos. Mind-blowing, and unlike many songs from the '60s, it still holds up.

I get what you're saying. My reason for voting REM is that I think their song is perfectly structured, plus I really like the lyrics and Stipe's performance. ADITL gets acclaim for breaking new ground, but the Beatles also created something they couldn't replicate live. I'm slightly more impressed by REM crafting a superb song without anything more unusual than a mandolin.

I'd also say that while ADITL is great, it's not clearly the best Beatles song. REM upped their game on Losing My Religion; it's far better than any other REM song. ADITL is Jerry Rice with a 3-touchdown game: brilliant, but that's not surprising. REM is the Helmet Catch.

Go Your Own Way already got a ticket to kingdome come?

Really, this magnificent Fleetwood Mac song would defeat many other songs and deserves to be in the next round. I know it isn't over but I wonder why the most popular songs are already meeting each other.

Last edited:
Nice takes on the Beatles REM match boys. I went Day, but you both right. Two superior songs.
The Fleetwood track is excellent, but classic rock rarely trumps classic metal in my world.
The who is one of the most important bands ever and those are two of their best.

The Who win both their matches easily.
"Losing My Religion" isn't bad, but it's no "A Day in the Life".
I'll go my own way and not jump aboard the crazy train.

Mega Classic Rock Knockout: 128 to 64, Round 7 of 16

These songs battle for the #10 position...

C10.png

"Layla" (Derek & The Dominoes) [10] vs. "Live And Let Die" (Paul McCartney) [119]

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (The Beatles) [55] vs. "Foxey Lady" (Jimi Hendrix) [330]

"Don't Stop Believin'" (Journey) [23] vs. "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" (The Beatles) [362]

"Are You Gonna Go My Way" (Lenny Kravitz) [471] vs. "I Wanna Be Sedated" (The Ramones) [87]

One day left for Round 4
Also open: Round 5 , Round 6

My votes:

Let Clapton live and Wings die. Layla
Foxey Lady contains the third-greatest F# in rock history but that's not enough. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Lennon is crafty but Journey wrote the better song. Don't Stop Believin'
Not a Ramones fan, and Lenny has just the right amount of stealing from Kiss. Are You Gonna Go My Way

Clapton. "Maybe I'm Amazed" would have won here, but not "Live and Let Die".
Harrison narrowly defeats Hendrix.
I believe in Lucy in the Sky, not some loser from South Detroit.
Not the best Ramones song, but I like it more than Kravitz.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 128 to 64, Round 11 of 16

These songs battle for the #6 position...

C06.png

"Hey Jude" (The Beatles) [6] vs. "Welcome To The Jungle" (Guns 'n Roses) [123]

"Tom Sawyer" (Rush) [59] vs. "Paranoid" (Black Sabbath) [70]

"Kashmir" (Led Zeppelin) [27] vs. "It's Only Rock And Roll (But I Like It)" (The Rolling Stones) [155]

"We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions" (Queen) [38] vs. "Don't Fear The Reaper" (Blue Oyster Cult) [166]

One day left for Round 8
Also open: Round 9 , Round 10

Back