• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good one there. I recall it fondly. When I first started buying albums around age 11 (right when Joan Jett was at #1), my little brother wanted to get in on the act. So the first album he bought was I Love Rock 'n' Roll. I promptly snatched it and started playing it. I don't know if he ever got to play it himself.

Petty is a better balladeer than Aerosmith, who should stick to dirty blues rock.
"Twilight Zone".
Good U2, brilliant FM. "Rhiannon" gives me chills.
Ch-ch-changes!

Good one there. I recall it fondly. When I first started buying albums around age 11 (right when Joan Jett was at #1), my little brother wanted to get in on the act. So the first album he bought was I Love Rock 'n' Roll. I promptly snatched it and started playing it. I don't know if he ever got to play it himself.
Ha! That is precisely what happened in my family. My (badly mistreated) LP of ILRnR, which I still have, was originally my little brother's. He still has my Krokus record. I win.

Mega Classic Rock Knockout: 128 to 64, Round 5 of 16

These songs battle for the #12 position...

C12.png

"Enter Sandman" (Metallica) [245] vs. "Limelight" (Rush) [140]

"You Really Got Me" (The Kinks) [309] vs. "Eruption / You Really Got Me" (Van Halen) [181]

"Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2" (Pink Floyd) [21] vs. "Solsbury Hill" (Peter Gabriel) [108]

"Ziggy Stardust" (David Bowie) [213] vs. "Barracuda" (Heart) [85]

One day left for Round 2
Also open: Round 3 , Round 4

Oh this one should bring out the Rush haters. Nothing against Sandman, but Limelight by a million miles.
I prefer the cover
Solsbury Hill needs to go far.
Barracuda easily in the most lacklustre match.

My votes:

Rush bias! Limelight
Van Halen did the song better and threw in an extra solo. Eruption / You Really Got Me
Floyd has the better bassline and guitar solo. Gabriel has better melodies and lyrics. Very tough choice. Solsbury Hill
Another tough choice in the last pair, but Heart are better players. Barracuda

I like how the matches are getting difficult most of the time now. At the start of the game, I never would have thought Solsbury Hill would still be holding its own this far in.

I wanted to take a quick moment to say thanks to all the voters for keeping the game fun. It just occurred to me: the timing of this game was originally chosen because, at that time, it was thought we'd be getting Maiden album/tour news about this time. I was actually hoping to be getting an influx of new voters to make it interesting around this time. But then Bruce's cancer announcement came four days after I started the game... :facepalm:

Rush, Kinks, Gabriel, Heart.

First three were easy, last one was tougher. I have a strange relationship with "Ziggy Stardust". When I first heard it as a kid, I hated it. No idea why, but it made me sick. Years later I heard it again and liked it, but somewhere within me that hatred is still there. So even though I think it's a better song than "Barracuda" I'm voting against it.

That was today's Shady Trivia. Join our mailing list to receive interesting facts every day.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 128 to 64, Round 9 of 16

These songs battle for the #8 position...

C08.png

"Sweet Child O' Mine" (Guns 'n Roses) [8] vs. "The Spirit Of Radio" (Rush) [136]

"No One Like You" (Scorpions) [200] vs. "Blinded By The Light" (Manfred Mann's Earth Band) [185]

"Jessica" (Allman Brothers Band) [281] vs. "Over The Hills And Far Away" (Led Zeppelin) [104]

"Sultans Of Swing" (Dire Straits) [40] vs. "Sunshine Of Your Love" (Cream) [168]

One day left for Round 6
Also open: Round 7 , Round 8

My votes:

My pick for #1. Sweet Child O' Mine
Creative Springsteen interpretation beats one-riff Scorpions song. Blinded By The Light
Jessica is great fun but pales before the competition. Over The Hills and Far Away
One-riff Cream song beats Dire Straits, because damn what a riff. Sunshine Of Your Love

Back