• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Now this is a loaded round. All eight songs are top-shelf.

My votes:

I hate voting against this GnR classic. It's mind-blowingly awesome. But it's not Hey Jude.
Rush is the easiest choice in this round. Tom Sawyer
Stones song is another that hurts me to vote against, but the Zep is too majestic. Kashmir
Last pair is actually the hardest choice. These songs are very close to even. Freddy is the difference. We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions

Guns, Rush, Zep, Cult
Another great round, but the third pair was the only one I hesitated on.

"Hey Jude", easily.
Rush and Zep win against solid opposition.
And Queen, I guess.

The last pair was absolutely brutal. Went Queen, but I feel bad going against Cult.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 128 to 64, Round 15 of 16

These songs battle for the #2 position...

C02.png

"Stairway To Heaven" (Led Zeppelin) [2] vs. "November Rain" (Guns 'n Roses) [386]

"Highway To Hell" (AC/DC) [63] vs. "Rock The Casbah" (The Clash) [66]

"Jeremy" (Pearl Jam) [226] vs. "Come As You Are" (Nirvana) [98]

"Revolution" (The Beatles) [34] vs. "Cocaine" (Eric Clapton) [162]

One day left for Round 12
Also open: Round 13 , Round 14

My votes:

First pair is brutal, so I've been breaking it down...
Lyrics: Stairway. GnR lyrics are just OK.
Vocal: Tie. Both are great performances.
Guitar solo: Can't believe I'm saying this, but I have to give it to Slash.
First, more mellow part: Stairway is more artful, GnR a traditional ballad to exponential power. Slight edge to Stairway.
Second, more rocking part: Both grab you by the throat and don't let go. Unforgettable Slash solo, but Zep has that final verse and the better ending. Slight edge to Stairway.

But, the deciding thing is always which one I like better, and that's a tie. That's so tied, I've been sitting here for ten minutes typing this and trying to choose. I realized, the real difference for me is how I first encountered these songs. Stairway is as old as I am; it was first played live four months before I was born, and released four months after I was born. So I learned it as a song of the past. It was already legendary (and I had corresponding expectations) when I first heard it. For GnR, the bar was nowhere near as high, so the epic result was more impressive. Plus it's from the whole early 90s era, when I was around 21, that I still love so much.

This is the hardest choice for me since Behind Blue Eyes vs. Somebody To Love. I adore Stairway, but I have to go November Rain.

After that, the rest are easy: Highway To Hell, Jeremy, Revolution.

The last pair was hard for me personally. Both songs are good, but not quite on the amazing tier. Went Beatles in the end.

I'm of the opinion November Rain is a touch underrated.
I like GNR best when they channel Queen.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 64 to 32, Round 3 of 8

Songs in gold have survived beyond their seeding:
D06.png

"Welcome To The Jungle" (Guns 'n Roses) [123] vs. "Tom Sawyer" (Rush) [59]

"Kashmir" (Led Zeppelin) [27] vs. "Don't Fear The Reaper" (Blue Oyster Cult) [166]

"Sympathy For The Devil" (The Rolling Stones) [11] vs. "Everlong" (Foo Fighters) [203]

"Thunderstruck" (AC/DC) [235] vs. "Paint It Black" (The Rolling Stones) [43]

Top song in each pair wins a tie.

One day left for Round 16
Also open: Round 1 , Round 2

Back