Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My votes:

Stairway is classic but GnR is what I'm more likely to crank and go nuts to. Paradise City
Derek's song has too much tasty guitar. Layla
Randy's solo is nearly perfect. Crazy Train
I still don't think Paint It Black deserved to get this far. Tom Sawyer

I am not a fan of Zeppelin, but Stairway still gets my vote, even though its opponent is featured on the first hard rock / metal LP I've ever bought.

First pair...well they're both anthems..and Paradise City kicks ass...but what would life be without the emotion in those Stairway verses..
Beatles
Smoke vs. Crazy Train, the riff war....Undecided. Purple wins because of Gillan.
Two great songs, Stones win on true emotion and feeling.

If the original top seeds had won all their matches, here's what this round of the Sweet Sixteen was "supposed" to look like:

"Stairway To Heaven" vs. "Born To Run"
"Imagine" vs. "Layla"
"Hotel California" vs. "Baba O'Riley"
"Hey Jude" vs. "Sympathy For The Devil"

What a shock, this group tends toward heavier music. :D

the first hard rock / metal LP I've ever bought.
This got me thinking. I think the first hard rock/metal album I ever bought must have been Moving Pictures. I would have been 10 or 11 at the time. I still own it, and while the grooves certainly have some wear, it still sounds great.

Unless you count REO Speedwagon's Hi Infidelity as hard rock (I don't). I know for certain it was the first LP I bought with my own money. That one ... hasn't held up as well.

Last edited:
Format counts. I actually bought metal CDs after I bought Live After Death on vinyl. Sabbath, Priest, Van Halen, Kiss. Plus plenty on cassette, and I'm now recalling that I had the first 3 Metallica on vinyl before Ozzy too.

My first metal purchase of any type was the "Cum On Feel The Noize" 45rpm in '82 or so. I strongly preferred the B-side, "Slick Black Cadillac".

Don't like the GnR song at all. "Stairway to Heaven".
Sorry, Derek, but you're no Macca. "Let It Be".
Both songs have gone too far in the game, but I prefer "Smoke on the Water".
"Paint It Black".

First rock/metal album I bought was Brave New World, in 2001.

Back