• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I clearly stated why i like Black in Black and why that is my winner.
I clearly stated why I dislike Iron Man and why that is my loser.
I also said I liked Iron Man, but for above reasons...(Back In Black having a more meaningful impact in my life) I'm not voting it...:)
I also said why I liked AC/DC for reasons not more vague than yours for liking Iron Man. I guess my previous post indeed said more about that.

I'm ever so slightly surprised the White Stripes have got this far. I thought I'd be one of the only listeners around here, since they're not in the forum-dominant metal, prog or old-style classic rock genres.

I just now noticed what you voted for :p...but In my opinion Seven Nation Army has that catchy sing a long riff...and? Not a whole lot more to offer..Yesterday has great playing, lyrics etc, the whole song is a masterpiece.

I mean, there's more feeling in the opening chords than the entire White Stripes song :)

Listen to Jack White instead. He is much, much better as a solo artist than when he played in White Stripes.

Listen to Jack White instead. He is much, much better as a solo artist than when he played in White Stripes.

Couldn't disagree more. His stuff with The White Stripes forced him to show a little restraint. Most of his solo material just sounds like oddball sonic experiments heaped on top of generic garage rock.

Disagree..He is a much more accomplished songwriter now. His latest solo album, blunderbuss, is quite OK....at least he has grown since that White Stripes gimmick. I didn't say he was good, I just said It was better ;)

Last edited:
I know it's your favourite Sabbath song (or close to), but really...

War Pigs > Iron Man
Fairies Wear Boots > Iron Man
Black Sabbath > Iron Man
NIB > Iron Man
Sweet Leaf > Iron Man
Children of the Grave > Iron Man
Lord of this World > Iron Man
Solitude > Iron Man
Wheels of Confusion/The Straightener" 8:02
Tomorrow's Dream > Iron Man
Supernaut > Iron Man
Snowblind > Iron Man
Cornucopia > Iron Man
Under the Sun > Iron Man

and some sixty, seventy more...
Only War Pigs and Black Sabbath are better than Iron Man in that list...

Two great songs, but I want The White Stripes to live.
U2. Never liked this GnR song much.
Queen and Bowie aren't bad company.
I'm totally mainstream when it comes to Sabbath. I like the Ozzy era the most, and I think "Iron Man" is one of their best songs.

Iron Man is thunder in the distance with a great doomy catchy main riff that is repeated so much that it becomes ponderous.
The counter-riff is nice (Nobody wants him...) with those great drum fills.
The vocals have some atmosphere, but again they get samey after a while and the menace just isn't sustained in the way of the best Sabbath songs. I do love the outro SMX refers to.

Back and Black is a electric, a lightning storm passing overhead with a catchy main riff, that it uses just the right amount.
Everything is perfectly in sync — the rhythm section is so tight and the interplay between between Angus and Malcolm is telepathic.
Add in the killer feel of the lead work and perhaps Brian Johnson's best performance on record.

To me it's the difference between a good song and a great one.

Last edited:
All of these are brutal matchups. Game was always fun, now it's getting very interesting. Tough to vote against The Beatles -- they don't get nearly enough respect on this forum as it is.

Mega Classic Rock Knockout: 128 to 64, Round 6 of 16

These songs battle for the #11 position...

C11.png

"Sympathy For The Devil" (The Rolling Stones) [11] vs. "Hey You" (Pink Floyd) [139]

"Everlong" (Foo Fighters) [203] vs. "Rock You Like A Hurricane" (Scorpions) [182]

"Thunderstruck" (AC/DC) [235] vs. "My Generation" (The Who) [107]

"Paint It Black" (The Rolling Stones) [43] vs. "Every Breath You Take" (The Police) [171]

One day left for Round 3
Also open: Round 4 , Round 5

My votes:

Great Stones easily over depressing Floyd. Sympathy For The Devil
Great Scorps guitar riff can't beat superb Foos song. Everlong
AC/DC's last great song better than The Who's first. Thunderstruck
Police song is another perfectly balanced, masterfully crafted beauty. Every Breath You Take

Men of wealth and taste don't say "hey you".
I prefer bar-fighting to foo-fighting, but I'm voting for 'em anyway.
The Who.
Two perfect pop songs, but I'm leaning slightly towards The Police for the moment.

I came across this fantastic recent live performance of Everlong. 3 guitarists, including Pat Smear: fat sound! :notworthy:
edit: didn't know Pat Smear was back in the band (for years)!

Last edited:
That's not just "recent", that's David Letterman's final show from last week.

The Foo Fighters, and particularly "Everlong", were always associated with Dave and his show. That's why they were there, playing it to close out Dave's career.

In the mid-90s, Dave had major heart surgery which kept him off TV for months. During those months of recovery, Dave played "Everlong" over and over, and he credits the song with helping him recover. (He explained all this in his final show right before the Foos performance.) For his first show back, Dave requested that the Foos be booked to play Everlong. Dave introduced them as "my favorite band playing my favorite song", and his opinion on that hasn't changed in the 20 years since.

One more thing about the video that @Forostar posted:

Near the end, you'll see a picture of Lou Reed. In that montage of fast-changing photos, they pause on that one for a while. The next picture you may not recognize, since his face is not as well known: Warren Zevon.

Zevon was a close friend of Letterman. He was a regular substitute for Paul Schaffer, leading the World's Most Dangerous Band when Paul needed a night off. Then he got cancer in 2002...

This is from wiki, about one of Letterman's greatest shows ever.
On October 30, 2002, Zevon was featured on the Late Show with David Letterman as the only guest for the entire hour. The band played "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" as his introduction. Zevon performed several songs and spoke at length about his illness. Zevon had been a frequent guest and occasional substitute bandleader on Letterman's television shows since Late Night was first broadcast in 1982. He noted, "I might have made a tactical error in not going to a physician for 20 years." It was during this broadcast that, when asked by Letterman if he knew something more about life and death now, he first offered his oft-quoted insight on dying: "Enjoy every sandwich."[14] He also took time to thank Letterman for his years of support, calling him "the best friend my music's ever had". For his final song of the evening, and his final public performance, Zevon performed "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" at Letterman's request. In the green room after the show, Zevon presented Letterman with the guitar that he always used on the show, with a single request: "Here, I want you to have this, take good care of it."[16] The day after Zevon's death, Letterman paid tribute to Zevon by replaying his performance of "Mutineer" from his last appearance. The Late Show band played Zevon's songs throughout the night.

That's why they also slow down for a bit on the Zevon photo. When I first saw that montage, I got the feels seeing that picture and remembering that show.

Zevon is criminally underrated. There's a lot more to him than "Werewolves of London" - for great melodies mixed with black humour there was no one better.

Everyone should at least check out his self-titled debut, which is excellent throughout.

Back