Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: Finals!

Vote for your favorite song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My votes:

Otis was great, but not vs. Queen. Bohemian Rhapsody
Steve was OK, but not vs. Queen. Killer Queen
Jimi was superb, Foreigner not so hot. Little Wing
I love this Chili Peppers song. This bassline is iconic among bassists. But Floyd and that solo is better. Time

Phase Three begins tomorrow!

Mega Classic Rock Knockout: 128 to 64, Round 4 of 16

These songs battle for the #13 position...

C13.png

"Gimme Shelter" (The Rolling Stones) [13] vs. "Eleanor Rigby" (The Beatles) [116]

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" (The Rolling Stones) [52] vs. "Tiny Dancer" (Elton John) [77]

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Nirvana) [20] vs. "Locomotive Breath" (Jethro Tull) [404]

"Purple Haze" (Jimi Hendrix) [45] vs. "Roundabout" (Yes) [429]

One day left for Round 1
Also open: Round 2 , Round 3

My votes:

Again, the Beatles wrote a nice piece of art music, but my vote goes to the more rockin' song. Gimme Shelter
Elton John song is good but the Stones song is even better than in the first pair. You Can't Always Get What You Want
Nirvana has made it to Phase Three, the top quarter. They've gotten their due respect. Time for Kurt to reach for the shotgun. Locomotive Breath
Once a progsnob, always a probsnob. Roundabout

I'm surprised at how many times I'm voting against the Beatles in this game. Rigby is great, but Shelter is the Stones at the their best.
More top-notch Stones over a pretty Elton song
Locomotive Breath kills Teen Spirit
Really feeling the bass — Roundabout in a close one.

Last edited:
Both brilliant in their own way, but "Gimme Shelter" is a top three Stones song for me, and "Eleanor Rigby" isn't even top ten Beatles.
Stones and Tull, no doubt on those.
"Roundabout" goes back and forth between great and irritating for me. I vote Hendrix.

Mega Classic Rock Knockout: 128 to 64, Round 8 of 16

These songs battle for the #9 position...

C09.png

"All Along The Watchtower" (Jimi Hendrix) [9] vs. "La Grange" (ZZ Top) [137]

"Somebody To Love" (Queen) [56] vs. "Bad Moon Rising" (Creedence Clearwater Revival) [184]

"More Than A Feeling" (Boston) [24] vs. "Proud Mary" (Creedence Clearwater Revival) [361]

"Another One Bites The Dust" (Queen) [41] vs. "Band On The Run" (Paul McCartney) [88]

One day left for Round 5
Also open: Round 6 , Round 7

My votes:

There must be some kind of way for ZZ Top to get out of here. All Along The Watchtower
(I actually like the ZZ song, it's just a pun on the lyrics.)
CCR's stripped-down sound falls flat vs overproduced classics. Somebody To Love, More Than A Feeling
Maybe Paul wrote the better song, but Freddy's performance is what wins on the last pair. Another One Bites The Dust

Hendrix easy.
CCR beats Boston but not a great Queen song.
Queen's disco diversion doesn't even come close to comparing with the fantastic Band on the Run.

Back