Your Top 10 Non-Maiden Bands

Rush goes through a lot of different eras. Personally, if you really liked Moving Pictures, I would listen to Permanent Waves, Grace Under Pressure, and Signals. All of them came out around the same time as Moving Pictures and are all generally held in high regard by most fans.
Rush went through enough different eras that to make the best recommendation it would help to know why you loved the shit out of Moving Pictures. Different people respond more to different elements of their sound.

For context, I think Moving Pictures is their second best album overall. The closest albums to that one in terms of time, approach, and quality are probably Permanent Waves (1980) and Grace Under Pressure (1984), which would be good ones to try. My personal favorite Rush album is Power Windows (1985), but it’s drenched in synths and reverb, which aren’t to everyone’s taste.

If you want to dip into their proggier 70s material, I’d recommend A Farewell To Kings (1977) and Hemispheres (1978). If you want to hear some heavier stuff, try Vapor Trails (original mix, 2002) and Clockwork Angels (2012).
The whole Moving Pictures album sounds like the warmth of a CRT TV - not to mention the general sentimental theme of it.

Based on both the answers, I'll go:

Hemispheres
Permanent Waves
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows

It makes perfect sense as it will span a period where Moving Pictures is in the middle of, along the fact that you both have mentioned those specifically. Synthwave is one of my favourite genres, so your description in it being drenched in synths in reverb actually helps.

Thanks and salutations to both of you

1. Jethro Tull
  2. Marillion
  3. Thin Lizzy
  4. Santana
  5. Judas Priest
  6. Motorhead
  7. UFO
  8. Rush
  9. Black Sabbath
  10. Ac/DC

From the 5th in no particular order.
It's very hard to name top 10 bands for me because I can really enjoying with many many bands or artist and different genres.

1. Jethro Tull
  2. Marillion
  3. Thin Lizzy
  4. Santana
  5. Judas Priest
  6. Motorhead
  7. UFO
  8. Rush
  9. Black Sabbath
  10. Ac/DC

From the 5th in no particular order.
It's very hard to name top 10 bands for me because I can really enjoying with many many bands or artist and different genres.

Are you a fan of everything Carlos Santana has done? He is a very talented musician, but I mostly like the first albums, when Santana was a band. Later it turned more into Carlos Santana’s solo career. :)

In no particular order:

Rush
Not a huge fan of their very early albums, from A Farewell To Kings it's getting pretty interesting.

Evergrey
One of the most underrated bands if you ask me (but nobody does) I have all their albums and there's none I really dislike.

Queensryche
Especially the era before Promised Land and the LaTorre years.

Marillion
The Fish years!

Dream Theater
Not a huge fan anymore since Portnoy left and also James live nowadays is kind of a disaster but the classics remain favourites.

Enchant
Another underrated prog band. If you´re into prog rock and haven't heard them, check out one of their albums.

Saga
Another great Canadian band. I love their early work the most.

Depeche Mode

Are you a fan of everything Carlos Santana has done? He is a very talented musician, but I mostly like the first albums, when Santana was a band. Later it turned more into Carlos Santana’s solo career. :)
I really enjoying listening Santana as a band since their beginnings to 90's I dislike the successful 2000's duets albums which formula has repeated until these days. But yeah, it's one of my favorite artists.

Rush is a band that I think is absolutely amazing yet I can’t get into their music. Tool is another example. Bands who are super talented and influential yet I don’t actually enjoy their music outside of a few songs.

I DO love 2112 front to back, however.

I don't really see much that those two have in common other than proggy tendencies and high musical talent. Tool makes 75 minute long albums of slow, plodding and depressing songs that usually go absolutely nowhere, while Rush typically writes catchy and highly melodic, even uplifting stuff. I have to admit that I struggle with 70s Rush quite a bit though, it's the stuff after that which I really like.

I don't really see much that those two have in common other than proggy tendencies and high musical talent. Tool makes 75 minute long albums of slow, plodding and depressing songs that usually go absolutely nowhere, while Rush typically writes catchy and highly melodic, even uplifting stuff. I have to admit that I struggle with 70s Rush quite a bit though, it's the stuff after that which I really like.
The two bands being similar wasn’t my point. I was just pointing bands that I appreciate a great deal but also can’t get into.

First the ones who have been with me since childhood, who I still care alot about:
Metallica
Guns’n Roses
Mötley Crüe
Megadeth

And then my favorite genre power metal:
Stratovarius
Rhapsody (of fire)
Sonata arctica
Nightwish
Gamma ray
Avantasia
Sabaton
Edguy
Battle beast

And other classic ones:
The beatles
Led zeppelin
The who
Rush
Cream
Rainbow
King crimson
Camel
Pink floyd

And other bands I care alot about:
Ayreon (All Arjen Lucassen related projects)
Pain of salvation
Pagan’s mind

Last edited:
1. Black Sabbath
2. Judas Priest
3. Ozzy Osbourne
4. Metallica
5. Motörhead
6. The Beatles
7. Led Zeppelin
9. Scorpions
9. Van Halen(DLR era)
10. The Warning

Last edited:
Beast in Black and Brothers of Metal are good ones outside the usual Priest/Bruce/Blaze/Manowar etc. zone.

I won't put them in order because it's too difficult, and I'll leave off Iced Earth who used to be my number 2, but I've let go of them after Jon's actions at the Capitol.

Billy Talent
Blind Guardian
Bullet For My Valentine (though only half their output is to my liking. One of the most inconsistent bands ever)
Cradle Of Filth
Die Ärzte
Evergrey
Farin Urlaub (Racing Team)
Trivium
Versengold
Vasilis Papakonstantinou (Technically not a band, but he's always supported by a band so it still counts :D )

There are other bands I used to love but don't listen to much nowadays (Alestorm, Sabaton, Gloryhammer, Rotting Christ, In Flames, Schandmaul) or bands where I like what I've heard so far, but haven't taken the time to properly dive into their repertoire (Epica, Devin Townsend, Polyphia). Also, the first four Taylor Swift albums are fun, didn't like how poppy the follow ups were, but apparently her most recent albums (Folklore and something else) are great, so I'll have to take a listen to those at some point.

I also listen to a ton of video game soundtracks, so it would be much easier for me to list 10 composers, than it is to list bands lol

Back