Your Maiden blasphemy

Bruce wasn't very happy with the songwriting on DoD, he implied as much repeatedly in interviews around the time TOS came out. It seems to me like he had a good talk with Steve afterwards and that's why we got more Bruce-ish tracks on the subsequent albums.
That's interesting. Do you have a link, or a scan or something?

No I don't, it's in magazines stored in a box in a storage unit and it's in German anyway.

surprised regarding Bruce's takes on DoD - I tend to see a higher proportion of "character" songs (ones which give Bruce the chance to play a role within a song). Its a more diverse album than AMOLAD, and one that I would guess that a vocalist would prefer to perform songs from.

The Loneliness Of the Long Distance Runner is a top-10 all time Maiden song.

Stranger in a Strange Land is the greatest (most cohesive, emotive, and brilliantly performed) song that Maiden ever wrote, from the greatest album in their canon - and from an album that is swiftly becoming my favorite album of all time (by any artist)

I bought SiT way back in the early 1990's -- longbox with the full album art. Flattened the longbox (idiot move - I didn't know they'd be abolished a few years later) and thumbtacked the art to my bedroom wall. Have loved SiT for a long time, but it frankly keeps getting better with age. Fastest tempoes on any album not named Killers, soaring leads/harmonies everywhere you look, a bass guitar attack that (to these ears) is even more potent than the heavy riffing of thrash bands (contemporary to 1986), top-flight poetic lyrics, and an incredible ensemble performance from the Five musical dieties.

The Loneliness Of the Long Distance Runner is a top-10 all time Maiden song.

Stranger in a Strange Land is the greatest (most cohesive, emotive, and brilliantly performed) song that Maiden ever wrote, from the greatest album in their canon - and from an album that is swiftly becoming my favorite album of all time (by any artist)

I bought SiT way back in the early 1990's -- longbox with the full album art. Flattened the longbox (idiot move - I didn't know they'd be abolished a few years later) and thumbtacked the art to my bedroom wall. Have loved SiT for a long time, but it frankly keeps getting better with age. Fastest tempoes on any album not named Killers, soaring leads/harmonies everywhere you look, a bass guitar attack that (to these ears) is even more potent than the heavy riffing of thrash bands (contemporary to 1986), top-flight poetic lyrics, and an incredible ensemble performance from the Five musical dieties.

none of this is blasphemy. maybe perhaps the most cohesive emotive blah blah about SIASL. but TLOTLDR is a top 10 for me as well.

SIASL blows my mind to this day - easily 1000's of listens later.

I still never expect Bruce's refrain "What Became of the men that started" - always comes out of nowhere yet fits so perfectly.

Not a wasted note in the entire song.

SIASL is David Gilmour's guitar solos on "Comfortably Numb" put to words and song.

SIASL blows my mind to this day - easily 1000's of listens later.

I still never expect Bruce's refrain "What Became of the men that started" - always comes out of nowhere yet fits so perfectly.

Not a wasted note in the entire song.

SIASL is David Gilmour's guitar solos on "Comfortably Numb" put to words and song.

SIASL really shines as example of how Gilmour's influence on Adrian. Fine solo and among his best indeed.

Brave New World is the least impressive reunion era album.

That one is definitely on the "unpopular" side of opinions, but not terribly blashphemic, I'd say!

BNW has very pleasant vibe and production, but as far as song material goes on "Reunion Albums", it doesn't have quite that massive edge over the others. Outside the modern classics (the first four songs) and The Thin Line, I wouldn't say that songs like The Mercenary or The Nomad blow faceinthesands, thetalismans or tearsofaclowns out of the water.

As for my preferences, BNW is up there with AMOLAD for me, but I wouldn't say the margins are too huge. It's a great album, but it's status outside the mentioned "big four" and one or two deeper cuts significantly benefits from the general reunion vibes and being a gigantic leap from VXI period in many ways.

Back