Your Maiden blasphemy

Dance of Death is the best post-reunion Maiden album (the Celtic melodies throughout make an incredible impact, and the album overall may be a highpoint for Bruce's vocals)

The X Factor is my all-time favorite Maiden album not named Somewhere in Time.

Dance of Death is the best post-reunion Maiden album (the Celtic melodies throughout make an incredible impact, and the album overall may be a highpoint for Bruce's vocals)

Glad to see some appreciation for the DOD album. :)

Highpoint for Bruce's vocals for me is the BNW album.

Well, it’s only a moderately good instrumental with some nice vocal bookends. I can think of a number of other songs from 90s Maiden that I like better.

Regardless, it's one of the "era-centerpieces", relatively acknowledged and praised song, which puts it up there as a "fan favourite" (subjective as it is anyway) with FOTD, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, The Clansman and whatnot. While I can definitely see that many people prefer the mentioned, or some other individual songs, I wouldn't say that "Sign of The Cross is the best Maiden song of the 90's" is THAT unpopular opinion - and definitely far from being terribly blashphemic. :p

All it would have taken to make DoD excellent is to drop "No More Lies" and " Age of Innocence" and stick to the original (i.e not CGI-"embellished") artwork.
I like No More Lies. Age of Innocence and New Frontier aren't good tracks though. The remaster sounds significantly better than the original release too. It has a couple of tracks that don't exceed just being "good" as well, but all in all, it's a good record.

Shhh, don't mention the war (album cover).

Dance of Death and The Book of Souls are both awesome.
The Book of Souls is Maiden just trying to be too much and they fall short. I think it in a way resembles Dream Theater's " The Astonishing", in the sense that it sounds good while you listen to it. But it's messy, and just pieces of it leave any lasting imprint. Don't get me started on The Empire of the Clouds. :p

I only regularly revisit If Eterenity Should Fail and the title track. I can do fine without the rest.

Nice Fawlty Towers reference! :)
I love Monty Python in general and John Cleese in particular.

Last edited:

The X Factor is my all-time favorite Maiden album not named Somewhere in Time.

I Agree... Dance of death Album is one of the best bruce perfomance!

I'd say that Bruce’s performance on Dance of Death feels a tiny bit lackluster to me, probably because that album is placed between Brave New World and AMOLAD.

Bruce wasn't very happy with the songwriting on DoD, he implied as much repeatedly in interviews around the time TOS came out. It seems to me like he had a good talk with Steve afterwards and that's why we got more Bruce-ish tracks on the subsequent albums.

Back