Your Maiden blasphemy

I say Flash Of The Blade is the worst song on Powerslave.
One of the lesser songs for sure, but since, as for me, rating a "song" implies rating the vocal melodies, "The Duellists" would be the worst "song" on Powerslave but its title is disputed by "Back In The Village" because of its riff (in the same vein, I don't love that of "Sea of Madness" either - I find it appealing as a guitarist, but there's no way you could hook the general hard rock audience of the mid-80s with such technical, impersonal riffs) and of course because of its chorus.
Anyhow, it is not surprising none of these three have ever been played live - the band usually has a good sense of what works live.

One of the lesser songs for sure, but since, as for me, rating a "song" implies rating the vocal melodies, "The Duellists" would be the worst "song" on Powerslave but its title is disputed by "Back In The Village" because of its riff (in the same vein, I don't love that of "Sea of Madness" either - I find it appealing as a guitarist, but there's no way you could hook the general hard rock audience of the mid-80s with such technical, impersonal riffs) and of course because of its chorus.
Anyhow, it is not surprising none of these three have ever been played live - the band usually has a good sense of what works live.
I absolutely adore the vocal melodies in The Duelists. The worst song on Powerslave is definitely Losfer Words, followed by Back in the Village.

(I find it appealing as a guitarist, but there's no way you could hook the general hard rock audience of the mid-80s with such technical, impersonal riffs) and of course because of its chorus.
I actually like Back In The Village's speedy riffing, and, well, what's wrong with the chorus? It gives off such a wonderful feeling of wreaking havoc and exact revenge, all while having fun doing so.

I absolutely adore the vocal melodies in The Duelists. The worst song on Powerslave is definitely Losfer Words, followed by Back in the Village.
I agree on the subject of The Duelists – the rapid-fire verses and the surprisingly high chorus make a great combination. They're the best part of the song! On the other hand, I did get into metal via video game OST's, and many of those are bouncy, energetic instrumentals, so I liked Losfer Words from the beginning. See the above post for Back In The Village.
For me, Flash Of The Blade isn't even a bad song, just the one I find the least engaging and memorable off of an immensely solid album.

Last edited:
I actually like Back In The Village's speedy riffing, and, well, what's wrong with the chorus? It gives off such a wonderful feeling of wreaking havoc and exact revenge, all while having fun doing so.
To make my point clearer, I guess that "good" or memorable riffs (not to the fans only but to the general public) are those that one can hum or sing along to. It is not a "rule", it just happens to be the case very often. ;)
What I don't really like about the chorus of "Back To The Village" is that it shows Bruce channelling his inner Steve ("the title, the title, the tiiiiiiiiiitle, the ti-ti-title..."). :D

I've said it before, but Powerslave is an album of four very good songs and four mediocre ones. It's a slog to listen to and The Duellists and Back in the Village particularly feel like they drag on forever. Losfer Words is just directionless and boring while Flash of the Blade is just okay. Sounds kind of cheesy, actually. It doesn't help that the good songs sound much better live, to the point the album versions kind of sound lacking, with the possible exception of Aces High.

I've said it before, but Powerslave is an album of four very good songs and four mediocre ones. It's a slog to listen to and The Duellists and Back in the Village particularly feel like they drag on forever. Losfer Words is just directionless and boring while Flash of the Blade is just okay. Sounds kind of cheesy, actually. It doesn't help that the good songs sound much better live, to the point the album versions kind of sound lacking, with the possible exception of Aces High.
Summed up my opinion in a better way than I ever could!

I agree with this. The middle four songs aren't even bad, they just don't live up to the standards of the four very good songs. The album structure doesn't help with this because the four average songs are book-ended by two double headers of monolithic juggernauts.

Maiden did mistake by releasing No Prayer and Fear as separate albums.
IRON MAIDEN
Fear of the Dark '90

1. Be Quick or Be Dead
2. From Here to Eternity
3. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
4. Childhood's End
5. Judas Be My Guide

6. Holy Smoke
7. No Prayer for the Dying
8. Mother Russia
9. Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter
10. Fear of the Dark

Would be hailed as gritty '90s classic.

Last edited:
Fear of the Dark is definitely a bottom 5 album for Maiden but I still think it's pretty great. Fear Is the Key and Weekend Warrior are the worst songs on it but they aren't terrible imo.

This isn't a musical thing but I'm genuinely concerned about Dave letting himself slip dangerously close to obesity . Everyone talks about Nicko being the oldest member and the linchpin deciding when the band will call it quits but it seems like Dave's fitness level is noticeably deteriorating at a rate far outstripping everyone else. Yeah, they're all aging, I know - he just seems to be getting hit the hardest by lifestyle choices he's clearly making.

Blasphemy.

Back