Your Maiden blasphemy

One blasphemy and one complaint.

The blasphemy

That falsetto thing Bruce does during the break in Sea Of Madness is an embarrassing moment in Maiden lore. Just horrific. Every time I hear it, I cringe and think, really? Why?

The complaint

Every time I listen to Death Or Glory, the line 'I ride a blood red triplane' I think 'I fly a blood red triplane'.

You don't drive a plane, you fly it. Fly... FLY!, dammit!

The complaint

Every time I listen to Death Or Glory, the line 'I ride a blood red triplane' I think 'I fly a blood red triplane'.

Ride =/= drive. You might not drive a plane, but you can certainly ride (in) it.

Planes are sometimes referred to as "mounts" - I've seen it in a few aviation reference books.

The blasphemy

That falsetto thing Bruce does during the break in Sea Of Madness is an embarrassing moment in Maiden lore. Just horrific. Every time I hear it, I cringe and think, really? Why?

:lol: It doesn't really bother me but I get why it would bother you.

One blasphemy and one complaint.

The blasphemy

The complaint

The song is set in the very early days of flying, when terminology wasn't as fixed as today. The lyrics heavily quote from Richthofen himself, who saw himself in a chivalrous context. He even held the military rank of a Rittmeister, which is a cavalry rank. So it's not really a stretch that he thought of his plane as a horse.

The song is set in the very early days of flying, when terminology wasn't as fixed as today. The lyrics heavily quote from Richthofen himself, who saw himself in a chivalrous context. He even held the military rank of a Rittmeister, which is a cavalry rank. So it's not really a stretch that he thought of his plane as a horse.
I think that may have become official later on, or at least semi-official - as I said, I've seen it a few times. Tanks as well as planes - you don't get out of a tank, you "dismount".

Tanks are still officially in the cavalry forces of some nations, iic.
Or armoured units are still called cavalry units, IE, Lord Strathcona's Horse, which rides into battle these trusty steeds:

1920px-Leopard_C2_MBT%2C_RMC%2C_CFB_Kingston%2C_1.jpg

I never understood the hate for the '88 re-recorded versions. They're not offensively bad or anything. In fact I quite like them, although the lifeless SSOASS production doesn't exactly do them any favors.

Prowler 88 is better than the original Prowler.
Congratulations: you've won the Blasphemy thread! :okok:
"Prowler '88" is like a macaroni collage of Mona Lisa (almost as bad as Deep Purple's "Hush 1988" on Nobody's Perfect).
Well, to each their own. That's the whole point of this thread! ;)

Last edited:
Maybe. But it would be interesting to hear a song without him in a live setting.
Not live, but this is what Maiden sound like without Dave. (Or Steve. Or Janick.)
Where was Dave then, while all this was going on? Off somewhere else, sounding like Maiden all by himself :D

Back