Your Maiden blasphemy

Oh boy.

Killers is better than TNOTB, which is the worst Iron Maiden album of the 80s. The production is lifeless, the performance meek, the songs hasted together, "guide lyrics", opener possibly the worst opener they ever had and they didn't even play it live. It was also a thematical rehash of a previous song. Clive's performance is not what you'd expect after Killers. It's a big disappointment for me.
I also prefer Killers but TNOTB is also a great record. Saying it's overrated is one thing (I totally agree). But c'mon! Aren't you being a victim of HBTN, RTTH, TNOTB and even COTD and 22AA overplaying? All these songs are great (especially the title track). Hey... even Invaders is one hell of a song (that bassline!) despite probably having Maiden's worst chorus ever (and I think that's the reason I believe it gets so much flak). Other point I must concur is that Killers' production is out of this world for something made in the early 80's and way superior to all of Birch's works until LAD, SIT and SSOASS (those 3 albums are among the best 80's productions I've ever heard).

Higher highs and lower lows compared to No Prayer.
Must concur. NPFTD has nothing as mind blowing as BQOBD, as inspired as ATSS or as anthemic as FOTD. Other than this it FOTD has a couple of good songs (JBMG and CH), a couple of fillers (TA and TF) and the rest ranks from lackluster to atrocious. On the other hand NPFTD has a really great song (BYDTTS... sorry if you don't like - it was #1: deal with it! :D ) while Tailgunner, Fates Warning, Run Silent Run Deep and Mother Russia are really great songs. Holy Smoke is an cool rocker (only a bit dislocated) while PEN1, the title track and Assassin are decent. The only real stinker here is Hooks In You. Overall I think NPFTD is far superior as an album (I even prefer it to 2 other albums besides FOTD) even regarding the fact it only features a single standout track... Atrocious FM hard rock stuff like FHTE, Wasting Love and Fear Is The Key completely undermine FOTD.

Not really a huge fan of the cover art for 'A Matter of Life and Death'. Eddie is not in the foreground as he usually is. People keep going on about how great this cover is, but for me it's just an alright cover compared to the might Derek's work.

It is, but it’s solid anyway. Nothing truly terrible but there’s some average moments.

Not really a huge fan of the cover art for 'A Matter of Life and Death'. Eddie is not in the foreground as he usually is. People keep going on about how great this cover is, but for me it's just an alright cover compared to the might Derek's work.
I agree with this. I had a hard time even finding Eddie originally, and as cool as the general aesthetic and the skeleton soldiers are, it just feels like a random bit of PR artwork rather than a proper album cover. It's a shame because I feel like the other Maiden albums that I rate highly (like SSOASS) have absolutely fantastic covers, while AMOLAD's is just okay.

Maybe he meant half the album. Appetite For Destruction is easily one of the most overrated hard rock albums of all time, IMO.
Maybe Sweet Child is just overplayed but it genuinely annoys me. I love the "where do we go" bit and the whole instrumental surrounding it but the rest pisses me off. Its the only bit of the album I don't care for. Appetite is one of my favourite albums. I hope the keep milkin the reunion tour so I can see them at least one more time. That said, 3 hours is too fuckin long for a gig. The time I seen them I think they played over 3 hours including several covers/interludes and they still didn't do My Michelle :wtf:

Apologies for derailing this. As you were.

Appetite for Destruction is overrated (but still very good), but Use Your Illusion I & II are absolutely brilliant. G&R really started to stretch themselves musically with those albums, and then they imploded. Oh, what might have been..

Aren't you being a victim of HBTN, RTTH, TNOTB and even COTD and 22AA overplaying?

It's not just sum-of-parts thing. NOTB as a record doesn't sound good to me (sonically). Also I don't really rate COTD and 22AA that high. I'll give victim of overplay status to RTTH although I'd never ever give that song full marks. It's just a three chord song.

I like Total Eclipse very much.

Appetite for Destruction is overrated (but still very good), but Use Your Illusion I & II are absolutely brilliant. G&R really started to stretch themselves musically with those albums, and then they imploded. Oh, what might have been..
There is some brilliant stuff on the Illusion albums (Dont Damn Me being one of their very best) but also plenty of dross. I like that they stretched themselves but it was a hit and miss affair.

It's not just sum-of-parts thing. NOTB as a record doesn't sound good to me (sonically). Also I don't really rate COTD and 22AA that high. I'll give victim of overplay status to RTTH although I'd never ever give that song full marks. It's just a three chord song.

I like Total Eclipse very much.
Don't get me wrong: TNOTB is merely my 9th favorite Maiden album (the spree between Piece Of Mind and 7th Son make my top 4, followed by AMOLAD, Killers, The X Factor and Iron Maiden. That being said it's still an excellent record. I also find its production too clean (as well as POM and Powerslave... The several tracks out of these 3 albums played in LAD gain a completely new bulk!) And yes ... Total Eclipse is perhaps my 3rd or 2nd favorite song (nothing beats the title track IMO).

Back