Your Maiden blasphemy

At the very least Paul Di'Anno was probably aware of it as he name drops "Delivering the Goods" on the version of Wrathchild from Metal for Muthas,

Never knew that. Thanks for the curious info.
The Great Unknown has the best chorus from the reunion era.

GOTN, OOTSP, Rainmaker and The Talisman say hello.... to name a few.
If it were released in the 80's, it would be considered as a classic song.

True. I think anyway that it is a classic from the reunion era.

TXF is the closing of the previous chapter, VXI the beginning of the new one. And Blaze is integral to both.
I don't know...X Factor has a lot of embryonic material that Maiden would later go on to do, and it doesn't continue anything from the previous two Maiden albums. I have to think on this one. Granted, I suppose songs like Fear of the Dark and Afraid to Shoot Strangers are indeed very indicative of what the X Factor would become.

X Factor has a lot of embryonic material that Maiden would later go on to do, and it doesn't continue anything from the previous two Maiden albums.

I disagree. There is much on FOTD that foreshadows TXF. Weekend Warrior and Childhood's End, if the vocal tracks were different, would fit rather well in a TXF environment. The individual segments of The Fugitive contain much that would be developed further on TXF. The electric guitar sound and the heavy use of acoustic guitars is something that binds the two albums. FOTD has a deep underlying melancholy that TXF turns into the dominant theme. Overall, I think TXF and FOTD are closer to each other than to VXI and NPFTD respectively.

Hm. I see your angle but it's not quite. There's a hard rock aspect to FOTD, 2 singles are straight for MTV. None of that stuff on TXF. The guitar sound is not the same.

The elements of Childhood's End were reused for Judgement of Heaven and The Unbeliever. Verses are the same kind of a beast, while bass/drum groove from CHE's chorus ended in the latter's instrumental section. I don't hear anything from Chains of Misery.

Of course that TXF continues some traditions that were present on the album before. ATSS and FOTD have defined a lot of the structure that Harris used in the songwriting ever since. However the hard rock stuff is replaced with some serious heavy metal like Blood on the World's Hands.

On the TXF-VXI relation, things start to get complicated due to their intentional decisions to tweak the natural process (Nicko's drum sound and arrangements). TXF is, drum wise, miles apart from VXI.

Overall I do not think that TXF is closer to FOTD than FOTD to NPFTD. The early 90s albums feature up beat hard rock stuff and themes while TXF doesn't.

Back