Your Maiden blasphemy

I find it very understated. It does have direction IMO, you can package it up as a theme if you like, but it had it been their final album they would have gone out with a whisper, which would be disappointing for a band like Maiden. I find TBOS had a bit more kick to it.

The Fallen Angel: Among my BNW favourites, but it seems to me most fans don't think it's anything special.
Fear of the Dark: Not a bad song as such, just average stufff - I find it puzzling that it seems to be such a huge fans' favourite.

Furthermore, I think Virtual XI sucks from start to finish, Invaders isn't that bad, and the No Prayer for the Dying album is pretty good stuff.

I do not agree about VXI album and ''Fear of the Dark''. It has better songs than ''The Fallen Angel'' on the BNW album, but it's a very good song.
I actually prefer the final frontier over the book of souls. I've never understood why so many seems to put it at the bottom of the reunion albums.

For sure TFF album is underrated, but I prefer TBOS album over it - it has better songs.

I think I'm soft on VXI because I was 18 when it came out, and it was the only new Maiden we were getting. And it did sound like an attempt to make a more "80s" sounding album, particularly Somewhere in Time. It was only 8 songs, under an hour, lots of futuristic overtones, a lighter more comic booky feel, and the band overall felt more optimistic. I also bought the 1st edition of Run to the Hills The Official Biography back then and upon reading it, you can see how enthusiastic the band was about their future with Blaze. I think it's Maiden's worst album, but I still enjoy it and the songs a great deal and still can see the DNA that album had that was expanded upon in Brave New World. In fact, for the most part, I'd say that if VXI had Bruce on vocals, Shirley on production, and Nicko on drums, it would sound very much like a sister album to BNW.

Last edited:
Steve and Dave are hardly rock top calibre. Two new quality metal icons would have taken Maiden to another level in the 1990s. Instead Maiden stagnated badly.

Steve and Dave are hardly rock top calibre. Two new quality metal icons would have taken Maiden to another level in the 1990s. Instead Maiden stagnated badly.
I'm honestly glad they did. I don't want Maiden sounding like the new hotness. I want Maiden to sound like Maiden. And I think Dave and Steve are the anchors of that sound. They could've been bigger, but they'd have been different and I like how they are. I want my Maiden pure and uncut so I can snort it.

Plus to be fair, they are still currently one of the biggest names in metal right now. I think it's fair to say that Steve's "vision" of what the band should be lasted.

Maiden would have been a better band today if Dave and Steve have left and not Adrian and Bruce. They would have been Metallica big right now if that had happened.
Hardly likely, management-wise. However, one can still picture what it would have sounded like with a line-up like: Bruce Dickinson - Adrian Smith - John Sykes - Neil Murray - Nicko McBrain, for example. More hard rock than metal, by all means... but interesting and certainly big sounding.

Back