Your favourite Iron Maiden song and why?

Highway Road In Time - because most people, me included, have never heard it, so it should be fresh and clean on one's ears.
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - because this is where Maiden really knew what they were doing, and were doing it well.
Phantom Of The Opera - because this is where Maiden started really knowing what they were doing, and were doing it well.
Strange World - because it is a really unique and fantastic song and thank you so much Paul Mario Day.

I know that's four instead of one but some peeps above have taken such liberties that I thought it might be acceptable.

The Book of Souls. I think it is the perfect Maiden song. When I first listened to the album, I fell asleep. It was an INSET day at work and I was knackered. I stupidly listened to the album lying down on the bed. When I went back to it after a good night’s sleep, I realised what I had missed!

I just love how they layer the melodies and solos at the end. It is just stunning.

I'll do 3 per era too because I find it too difficult to choose one...maybe it's CSIT. That's the first that crossed my mind. Or maybe Hell on Earth.
Early Days (Debut - POM)
22 Acacia Avenue
Hallowed be thy name
Still Life
Golden Years (Powerslave - SSOASS)
Caught somewhere in time
Moonchild
Infinite Dreams
The 90´s (No Prayer - Virtual XI)
No prayer for the dying
Fear of the dark
Sign of the cross
(these are not my favs. I would choose 20-30 songs from other eras instead of them)
Reunion Era (BNW - Senjutsu)
Ghost of the navigator
Dance of Death
Hell on Earth

The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner

The guitar tone, the overall atmosphere especially during the intro, awesome drumming. I just love it and has been my favourite song by Maiden for quite a long time. I actually find the lyrics a bit metaphorical for my own self. Life goes on, sometimes you feel you're halfway there to your dreams, sometimes you just find the process futile. But to dream and to aspire is the most important.

Talking about the subject matter, it is based on a short story of the same name (which was also later adopted into a movie). Again, the band went with a loosely based concept, not much rigid and open to listeners' own interpretation.
The lyrics, remind me a lot of the life of Indian sprinter Milkha Singh (though not a long-distance runner, but a movie has been made on him as well). He escaped the mutiny and violence during India's partition in 1947 (considered largest mass migration in human history, also formed the separate nation of Pakistan) at a very small age. Later, he joined the army where his talent was recognized and went on to win several medals in many international events including the Olympics.

1695046163359-jpeg.29887

Also, recently watched a video on 'Iron Maiden in the strangest places' thread, the song being mentioned by Paula Radcliffe (British long-distance runner) which I find amazing!

Has been performed live only once, during Somewhere In Time Tour '86.

Last edited:
It's got to be hell on earth....pure classic.
From start to finish it's a great great song....proves the maiden have still got the skills to stay relevant. I'm into bands like fugazi, slint, sebadoh, sufjan Stevens, vampillia and June of 44, Rodan, but iron maiden are still my first love and when I heard hell on earth I thought this is just so good. I hope they do another album next year to celebrate 50 years. Steve Harris just keeps on writing classic songs. He's never lost it. Which is not as common as you think.

I used to say it is Revelations, but the last years my opinion has changed to Rime of the ancient mariner. Epic song, nice drive through the song, I love the tempo changes, the scream from Bruce, classic guitar solos. Add the superb production and all of the band in their prime. I don’t know how Steve can play this song in the middle of the set with the two second break there!

Back