Yes/no Thinking Game

Just to clear that ice bullet thing up there is no such thing, it was on mythbusters on discovery channel and it melts before it leaves the barrel

neat idea though

[!--quoteo(post=133940:date=Apr 4 2006, 12:58 PM:name=MaidenEngland787)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(MaidenEngland787 @ Apr 4 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]133940[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Just to clear that ice bullet thing up there is no such thing, it was on mythbusters on discovery channel and it melts before it leaves the barrel

neat idea though
[/quote]

Yeh, I saw that Mythbusters too (I love Mythbusters)

Come on, I suspect Mavericks theory is correct, just awaiting confirmation!

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Are there any electrical outlets in the room?

If yes, did they make contact with the water?

Sorry, and another....

Is the house or building situated by the sea, large lake or river?[/quote]

No, no, no.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Here's my sick mind at work again:

James and Sally were living their happy goldfish lives in their bowl on a small stool until the window burst open because of the wind, tipping it over. The bowl crashed on the floor, spraying water and glass. Poor James and Sally died of suffocation, like any goldfish would outside of their natural element.

Do I get a biscuit or was I again talking bollocks? [/quote]

Yes, you get a friggin' biscuit. Except, the window was already open, and the wind blew them off. But, yeah, you're right. Well done, I suppose.

Seriously, someone has to come up with a puzzle Mav can't solve.

What about this:
analphilosopher-Puzzle.JPG

[!--quoteo(post=133938:date=Apr 4 2006, 12:48 PM:name=national acrobat)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Apr 4 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]133938[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
No, I mean some chap standing outside the window shot one of them with the arrow and then hit the other over the head with the bow, and both melted. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
[/quote]
Oh, I see. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=133971:date=Apr 4 2006, 05:46 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Apr 4 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]133971[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
What about this:
analphilosopher-Puzzle.JPG

[/quote]

Because the red triangle is both longer in the base and taller than the green triangle-when placed on top, it forces the two other polygons down, where they must spread out, unable to lock together. The 'hole' does not 'come from' anywhere, it is simply made present by the different configuration of the shapes.

I know this doesn't explain it very well, but it's my best guess (i've always been bad at maths problems). And this isn't really a yes/no question puzzle, is it? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

It's just a different configuration of the same things, and they have the same area in both situations, but they don't "fit" in the second one. It's just what Silky said...

[!--quoteo(post=133997:date=Apr 4 2006, 09:08 PM:name=Black Ace)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Ace @ Apr 4 2006, 09:08 PM) [snapback]133997[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
It's just a different configuration of the same things, and they have the same area in both situations, but they don't "fit" in the second one. It's just what Silky said...
[/quote]
They don't have the same area... in the first configuration, they occupy 32.5 square cm. In the second configuration, they occupy 31.5 square cm. I don't know the answer myself and it's really annoying me ::

[!--quoteo(post=133999:date=Apr 4 2006, 09:41 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Apr 4 2006, 09:41 PM) [snapback]133999[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
They don't have the same area... in the first configuration, they occupy 32.5 square cm. In the second configuration, they occupy 31.5 square cm. I don't know the answer myself and it's really annoying me ::
[/quote]
If you take the total area of each individual shape you get 32 sq cm

i.e. Yellow polygon: 7
Light green polygon: 8
Green triangle: (5/2) x 2 = 5
Red triangle: (8/2) X 3 = 12

Total = 32

That is the average of both configurations. Not sure this helps or hinders! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=134004:date=Apr 4 2006, 09:58 PM:name=Albie)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Albie @ Apr 4 2006, 09:58 PM) [snapback]134004[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
If you take the total area of each individual shape you get 32 sq cm

i.e. Yellow polygon: 7
Light green polygon: 8
Green triangle: (5/2) x 2 = 5
Red triangle: (8/2) X 3 = 12

Total = 32

That is the average of both configurations. Not sure this helps or hinders! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]
[/quote]
I think this is a trick question... there is definitely a photo trick done somehow.

I guess since this isn't a yes/no question aswell hen somebody else can have a go [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

That's simple logic. If the 2 triangles are made of the same parts with the same areas then the hole must be somewhere in the first image. If it's not inside the triangle then it's obviously outside. The only way to solve that problem is to consider that our eyes are imperfect and that those images are not triangles though they look like they are.
In the first "triangle" the "hypothenuse" is slightly concave and in the second "triangle" it's slighly convex which is why there's an extra space in the second image after moving the red and the green triangles.

[!--quoteo(post=133912:date=Apr 4 2006, 04:56 AM:name=LooseCannon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Apr 4 2006, 04:56 AM) [snapback]133912[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I already knew the answer...however, BM, ice bullets are pure fiction. The heat of a gunpowder discharge combined with the friction of the rifling cause the ice in the bullet to turn to steam before it leaves the barrel.
[/quote]

Sure, using a fire weapon, the bullet would instantly melt but it could've been shot from another type of gun :: Anyway, those are just riddles and I remember that the answer to one was that the person had been killed by an ice bullet.

The red triangle is smaller on the image with the hole [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /] Stupid trick IMO

[!--quoteo(post=134012:date=Apr 4 2006, 10:52 PM:name=syl)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(syl @ Apr 4 2006, 10:52 PM) [snapback]134012[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
In the first "triangle" the "hypothenuse" is slightly concave and in the second "triangle" it's slighly convex which is why there's an extra space in the second image after moving the red and the green triangles.
[/quote]
No :: Lets just forget about this one [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

Ok, maybe it's not convex and concave , but there's a problem with the hypothenuse . If you look really closely you can see that the angles of the red and green triangles are different, and so the hypothenuse can't be a straight line.

OK, let's have another yes/no game. This one is a bit simpler than some others, but it's all I can think of at present. Nevertheless.......

A large and extremely heavy statue with a flat bottom needs to be placed on a raised platform. The only method of moving the statue is to place slings under its base and, by using a crane, it can then be settled on its platform. The problem is to get it on the platform and remove the slings.

How can this be done?

Did they raise it up about an inch above the platform then remove the slings and the statue fell to the platform. But since it was only about an inch above the platform it didn't break.

[!--quoteo(post=134060:date=Apr 5 2006, 07:04 PM:name=Child of the Grave)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Child of the Grave @ Apr 5 2006, 07:04 PM) [snapback]134060[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Did they raise it up about an inch above the platform then remove the slings and the statue fell to the platform. But since it was only about an inch above the platform it didn't break.
[/quote]
No. It could be possible to do it like that but a] you'd have to be quick to get the slings free before it fell and b] you'd also run the risk of the statue not settling straight.

Well, could you grease both the bottom of the statue and the thing it was being put on? Then it'd just slide out... The sling, that is.

Back