Yes/no Thinking Game

Correct, but how about this one

Three friends check into a motel for the night and the clerk tells them the bill is $30, payable in advance. So, they each pay the clerk $10 and go to their room. A few minutes later, the clerk realizes he has made an error and overcharged the trio by $5. He asks the bellhop to return $5 to the 3 friends who had just checked in. The bellhop sees this as an opportunity to make $2 as he reasons that the three friends would have a tough time dividing $5 evenly among them; so he decides to tell them that the clerk made a mistake of only $3, giving a dollar back to each of the friends. He pockets the leftover $2 and goes home for the day! Now, each of the three friends gets a dollar back, thus they each paid $9 for the room which is a total of $27 for the night. We know the bellhop pocketed $2 and adding that to the $27, you get $29, not $30 which was originally spent. Where did the other dollar go????

I've heard this before and I still don't know the answer... maybe the waiter took it? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=132815:date=Mar 23 2006, 04:21 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Mar 23 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]132815[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I've heard this before and I still don't know the answer... maybe the waiter took it? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
[/quote]
No.

Let me see... There is the 25 the clerk has, 2 bucks for the bellhop, and 3 bucks for the friends. I believe that if you count it this way it's a total 30$. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /]

The reality is that the 3 men paid $27 ($9 each) for a room that that the hotel only charged $25. The two extra dollars went in the bellman’s dishonest pocket!

Something genuine would have been nicer. So stop copying/pasting riddles that are all over the Internet to make yourself look clever. The rest of your posts are evidence that you're not. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"<_<\" border=\"0\" alt=\"dry.gif\" /]

(And yes, I googled it this time. This sudden surge of intelligence was suspect to me. And I was right!)

[!--quoteo(post=132819:date=Mar 23 2006, 09:38 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Mar 23 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]132819[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
(And yes, I googled it this time. This sudden surge of intelligence was suspect to me. And I was right!)
[/quote]
I did say that I saw it before. I think that nobody here made up any of the riddles in reality ::

I have one:

I will draw three lines. One drawn horizontal and two draw vertical. The two vertical lines cross the horizontal line at exactly 90 degrees on different points along the vertical line. All three lines are drawn dead straight on an even surface, so in theory the two vertical lines should never meet. But they do, and at 45 degrees.

How is this possible?

[!--quoteo(post=132830:date=Mar 23 2006, 10:31 PM:name=IronDuke)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Mar 23 2006, 10:31 PM) [snapback]132830[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
You drew them on a sphere?
[/quote]

[!--quoteo(post=132831:date=Mar 23 2006, 10:40 PM:name=syl)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(syl @ Mar 23 2006, 10:40 PM) [snapback]132831[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
You drew them on a non-Euclidean space ?
[/quote]
I have had people stumped with this before and I thought I might have a bit more mileage in it, but.... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]
Yes, it is to do with elliptic geometry which is non-Euclidean and it was drawn on a sphere.

The angle they meet is at 45 degrees, but it could be anything up to 360, it obviously depends on how far apart the vertical lines are and where you measure the angle.

The one with the hotel puzzled me for an entire night when I was at the Peninsula festival. We were walking around the city for a whole night, and to keep our minds awake and away from the feet-ache, a friend proposed this thing. We tried to solve the problem, but in the end, we just gave up from exhaustion. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

OK, I made this one up myself, so apolgies if it's a bit dodgy (and possibly not well worded).

A Japanese woman is found dead, obviously murdered, in her hotel room in London. The crime investigators find out that her name was Yamamura Ichiko. After examining the door to her room, they find the lock is unbroken, and several other details at the crime scene point to the fact that the murderer must have had access to the room, i.e. had a key, and therefore must have known the victim very well. They also figure out that the lady was murdered the previous night between 23 and 1 o'clock.

The investigators talk to the man who was on duty the previous evening. He told them that the lady had indeed requested two keys to her room, although it was a single room. After she entered the hotel that evening at about 21.30, only three further people came in before 1 o'clock, all three men, and all three guests of the hotel who checked in. He also said that the victim was a very social person and that he had seen her talking to quite a few hotel guests -almost exclusively men of her age- over the three days she had been there.
The three men all come down to the lobby to talk to the investigator.

Man #1: "Yes, I had seen the lady before. Her name was Ichiko, I think. I talked to her a few times, but then found that she was a highly uninteresting Japanese tourist, like all others. I ignored her after a while."

Man #2: "I've seen her a couple of times, but never talked to her."

Man #3: "Her name was Yamamura Ichiko. I met her in the hotel bar. She was a very nice person, but pretty much your standard Japanese tourist, always walking around with a camera and everything. I haven't talked to her or seen her yesterday, not at all."

The investigator tells the present policemen to arrest Man #1. Why is he convinced that Man #1 is the murderer?

Did the investigator conclude that he was the murderer by the interogations you mentioned, or he made more that we should know about? And did he get it right? Was Man#1 the murderer?

Is this a case of a serial murder, hence the part of the statement made by the first man to give the investigator a clue was:

but then found that she was a highly uninteresting Japanese tourist, like all others.

?

[!--quoteo(post=132880:date=Mar 24 2006, 06:00 PM:name=ARealDead1)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ARealDead1 @ Mar 24 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]132880[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
but then found that she was a highly uninteresting Japanese tourist, like all others.
[/quote]
He would have always known that she was a Japaneese tourist... why after talking to her a few times did he discover this? :: good point ARealDead1

Does it have anything to do with the first man only refering to her by her last name, as if he may know that only because that was what she was registered under?

In Japanese, the second name is the given name, and the first name is the family name. The first man knew her enough to call her by her proper name.

And I thought it would be harder [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]

Loosey has it. The murderer referred to her with her given name, Ichiko (which, as LC stated correctly, is second in the Japanese/Far Eastern languages), indicating that he had a closer relationship with the victim.

It's really just whodunit logic, so don't think about anything further here.

Actually, many Japanese tourists reverse their names when they come overseas now, to better emulate the American culture that whomped them in WW2.

Back