Worst Possible Setlist

The worst setlist would surely be playing only songs they've played millions of times before, and then repeating that particular setlist ad nauseam.

The worst setlist would surely be playing only songs they've played millions of times before, and then repeating that particular setlist ad nauseam.

Yes, and calling the tour "Somewhere Back in Time" (featuring songs from Live after Death, Somewhere in Time and 7th Son), and then doing a Looooong additional tour called "Maiden England" (featuring, wait for it, songs from Live after Death, Somewhere in Time and 7th Son)

Imagine that!!

This should be fun.

01. Gangland (How bad of an opener would this be?)
02. New Frontier
03. The Assassin
04. I Live My Way
05. Sun and Steel
06. Gates of Tomorrow
07. The Aftermath
08. Lightning Strikes Twice
09. The Apparition
10. 2 A.M.
11. Invaders
12. Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger (Combine this with the next one for 20 minutes of terror)
13. The Angel and The Gambler (extended version w/ crowd participation) <--Do this before the Encore so people don't leave.

ENCORE

14. Drifter
15. Sanctuary
16. Weekend Warrior
I'd love to see 'Drifter' live. -_-

It only took two pages before it became another Maiden Cabaret rant!

Well, I've always resisted getting involved with the cabaret rants thus far (as far as I can remember anyhow!), but the title of this thread just sort of goes hand in hand with the disappointments in the setlists of the recent 2 (make that 'one' in reality) tours. :)

And again and again and again.... Somewhere back in time i'd pay to see again X 4. Like I did a few years back in fact. That is no 'cabaret act' freinds. It is having the extreme pleasure of seeing the greatest heavy metal band in the world play the greatest songs ever,

I'd pay to see Maiden England again and again and again. Great show.

Yes they played great songs well.

But having seen the amazing original tours back in the 80s (Powerslave, SIT, 7th Son) I felt they missed the opportunity to resurrect some deep cuts (Still life, Killers, Infinite dreams etc) whilst padding the set out with songs played much more regularly already. They had the set spot on for Early Days imo, but Maiden England (especially straight after the Somewhere back in time set) could have had more adventurous song choices (and a less linear stage set).

For me at any rate. ;)

I've never seen Maiden England. I've never heard most of Seventh Son live. I wouldn't mind if they toured that into the grave. I'd still go.

I wanted to say something like "I'd be fine if they played Maiden England tour/setlist for 10 more years" but then I remembered Hallowed isn't in it :( But I could say that for any other reunion tour...

I'd pay to see Maiden England again and again and again. Great show.
And again and again and again.... Somewhere back in time i'd pay to see again X 4. Like I did a few years back in fact. That is no 'cabaret act' freinds. It is having the extreme pleasure of seeing the greatest heavy metal band in the world play the greatest songs ever,
I wanted to say something like "I'd be fine if they played Maiden England tour/setlist for 10 more years" but then I remembered Hallowed isn't in it :( But I could say that for any other reunion tour...
It's hard to take all this serious because that would mean no other songs, and no album promotion.

Nonetheless, let's try to zoom in a bit more:
Why so satisfied with hearing the same set for years, when you know there is more, and when you know Maiden won't continue that long anymore?

Is "variety" a difficult, poisonous thing?
Or is it something else: Is it so hard to have criticism on anything the current line-up does, live?

The way I see it, we're lucky to have Maiden in the shape they're in touring so extensively in top form at their current ages. They could've easily called it a day ten or so years ago but they didn't and I'm grateful for that. I'm happy that there's still an opportunity to see Maiden live and I'll take whatever setlist they play. On top of that, I'm happy that people who missed Maiden England the first time around got to see it during the extra leg. It was a mindblowing concert that every fan should get to see.

Why so satisfied with hearing the same set for years, when you know there is more, and when you know Maiden won't continue that long anymore?

Is "variety" a difficult, poisonous thing?
Or is it something else: Is it so hard to have criticism on anything the current line-up does, live?
Iron Maiden doesn't owe me anything. I find it hard to understand why you criticise what you profess to love so much. It's not that I support or detract from any particular decision, simply that I accept it and will endeavour to enjoy whatever they do with the time they have left.

Back