Worst Iron Maiden Song

Is this the same lyrics we're discussing? Surely the broader theme(s) is/are: journey, home, place, returning to where ones from, etc etc? --not planes. The lyrics don't seem overly focused on Brucey being "sentimental about aviation". Discussing it in a "Worst Iron Maiden Song" thread is also, in my opinion, pure nonsense.

Last edited:
Talisman kinda sucks but En Vivo made me like it a bit more.

This Coming Home discussion is interesting. When the album came out everyone was praising that song as pretty much the best on the album. Now it's a contender for worst Maiden song. I'm in the middle about it. Not my favorite but musically it's pretty good and it has two awesome solos. Lyrics are decent.

I like the tone of the intro myself - the voice is a little off but it adds to the atmosphere the guitar creates imo, well.. the first bit it does (0-0:50). The latter part of the intro I'm not so keen on the vocals but still like the guitar. The way it kicks into the distortion I like, very sudden. My problem with the song is pretty much exactly what you said Foro (minus the Chorus, that I don't mind as much), the exact same lines for the same reasons. It often sounds like the lines are too long for the time they are given, and the syllables that are emphasised are horrible >.< I wasn't around when you made that post but I'm sure glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. Thankfully it's the minority of the song.

Far from worst song tho ;p

Talisman can never be the same once you read Foro's post..

14002_cf670f118405487b66d6ca0d8d39b9ff_mdsq.jpg

Ah, yes, that link --where Forostar (in reference to The Talisman) states "I am 99% sure that this song will never be played"! :p

Pity it turned out to be fucking epic when they played it live...

Ah, yes, that link --where Forostar (in reference to The Talisman) states "I am 99% sure that this song will never be played"! :p

Pity it turned out to be fucking epic when they played it live...
I was very surprised that they picked that song instead of Isle of Avalon (or even any other track). I still am. Isle of Avalon would have been 10 times as epic.

In the end I bet it was just a compromise. I think they picked it because they didn't want to do Adrian Smith/Steve Harris/(Bruce Dickinson)-TFF songs only. Also; it was probably easier to play than other TFF songs that were left out.

I was very surprised that they picked that song instead of Isle of Avalon (or even any other track). I still am. Isle of Avalon would have been 10 times as epic.
I'm not. I remember hearing Isle and Starblind thinking, "these songs are great but there is no way they'll play them live". I mostly formed this opinion because of Pasch being dropped from the setlist that year. In fact the Final Frontier selection was very predictable. Obviously they were gonna do Final Frontier and El Dorado. Coming Home was made for the live setting, and they always do the Harris epic. Talisman would be the next most likely epic because it's so easy. The tempo doesn't change a lot and it's a powerful track. The other 3 would be too hard to pull off.

I guess you're right even though it's painful to see that only the easiest songs are played live.
Let's see if we can predict this when the next album comes out.

edit:
Still, I disagree a bit here. It's not only about what is the easiest to play. At least, it shouldn't.
Isle of Avalon and Starblind are so good that at least one of them should have been in the setlist. Of the two Isle of Avalon sounds to me as the one being the least difficult.

Both Starblind and Avalon are atmospheric songs. They find their magic in the atmosphere the album creates and I'm dead sure they wouldn't have the same power if they were played live. "Studio songs" if you will.

I think it's the same reason the band doesn't play most of Somewhere in Time tracks, too.

Especially SSOASS has comparable atmospheric moments (and drumwise it's the same in the part you know I am talking about). So have other Maiden songs that saw the stage.

Starblind and ATG were not played because I think certain parts (especially the solos) were too fragile for live situation. Good for studio, terribly difficult to recreate in live.

The X-Factour had some of the most atmospherical setlists they ever did.

I guess you're right even though it's painful to see that only the easiest songs are played live.
Let's see if we can predict this when the next album comes out.
It'll probably be even easier to predict. In retrospect, I'm a bit surprised that I got it right then. And I'm not the only one, lots of people were sure that IOA wouldn't be played. My prediction was only based on the dropping of one song. Now we have more songs to use as evidence, so to speak.

Still, I disagree a bit here. It's not only about what is the easiest to play. At least, it shouldn't.
Isle of Avalon and Starblind are so good that at least one of them should have been in the setlist. Of the two Isle of Avalon sounds to me as the one being the least difficult.
Oh I agree completely. But Maiden obviously doesn't. ;)

They're easy songs really, Starblind being a bit more difficult but even that isn't too bad. I think it comes down to laziness, honestly. If they rehearsed more they'd be able to play all those songs live. They're talented enough. But "hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work hard".

The X-Factour had some of the most atmospherical setlists they ever did.
They took their time with the actual album, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same for the tour. Which makes sense; they had a lot to prove.

I listened to Brave New World last night for about the fourth time now. I couldn't get into anything between Wicker Man and The Nomad. It all seemed like rehash from the past. I don't like the last song on Virtual XI [the one with the Spanish title]. I'll never understand the disdain for Another Life. One of my favorite Maiden songs.

The Iron Maiden tunes I dislike the most are "The Appiration", "Weekend Warriors", "Virus" and the bridge section of "Fear Is The Key" (the rest of the song is very good IMO).

Back