Worst/Best Maiden Lyrics

I like all of Bruce's lyrics. They're more cryptic and just better written than Steve's. Also, the stuff he wrote for the Chemical Wedding is absolutely divine.

Some of my personal favorite Maiden lyrics... Revelations, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Powerslave, Caught Somewhere In Time, Moonchild.

One of the greatest lines in music:

"She came to me with a serpent's kiss
As the eye of the sun rose on her lips
Moonlight catches silver tears I cry
So we lay in the black embrace,
And the Seed is sown in a holy place
And I watched, and I waited for the dawn"

Amazing.

bornless1 said:
Real funny line about the sisters man.  Gimme a break here.  That kind of line was made for a RATT song on or Cinderella.  Maiden should have never gone there.  Dinosaurs and cannibal tribes though?  Yeah that be  Maiden!!!

Funny is what you said. Go figure. On a Ratt lyrics, he would try to fuck even his sisters, and probably they would allow him to do such, as women in Ratt's lyrics are whores of the highest order.

Worst: (in no particular order)

1. Iron Maiden: As much as I love this song, the lyrics are kind of cheesy.
2. Charlotte the Harlot: I never felt the abrupt slow section fit the song too well, for the music and lyrics.
3. Prowler: A song about a pervert who flashes women and masturbates to them, not meant to be taken seriously, but below Maiden standards.
4. From Here to Eternity: Another one below Maiden standards, not much else to say.
5. Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter: Sub-par, especially coming off of the lyrically amazing Seventh Son album.

Best: (in no particular order)

1. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son: Epic and beautiful. Does this song really need an explaination?
2. Rime of the Ancient Mariner: I refer you to 1.
3. Phantom of the Opera: Maiden's first "epic" song, and a damn good one, lyrically and musically. Loosely based on the novel of the same title.
4. Paschendale: Another one unneeded of an explaination. Vivid, poetic, ingenious, tragic, these words don't do justice to the beauty of this song.
5. These Colours Don't Run: So much emotion conveyed in the lyrics and vocalization. A true highlight off of A Matter Life and Death.

Best is hard, other them melodies, playing, solos and overall music qualitiy, lyrics are Maiden's strong point :bigsmile:
So every Harris epic and alot of other gems like Moonchild And Infinite Dreams.
Also, Pasch-of-the-fucking-dale. I'm almost in tears by the part after ther first 2 solos, and the line "blood is falling like the rain" is probobly the most awesome line ever written in the history of man.

Worst will have to be some No Prayer songs, some FOTD songs and some VXI songs.
Namly public enema(C'mon guys), the apparation and fear is the key, and TAATG.

I also don't see what's your obssesion with the prancing line. Is that an english thing? Does prancing mean wiggeling your ass or something? I never thought about it untill I saw it mentiones somewhere and have never thought about it since.

Prancing:
1 : to spring from the hind legs or move by so doing
2 : to ride on a prancing horse
3 : to walk or move in a spirited manner: strut; also: to dance about

I take it definition 3 is used in the song, although the first is probably the one that comes to most people's minds.

In general 'prance' just isn't a very manly or 'heavy' word (not that all their lyrics have to be), and it conjures images of someone jumping around quite erratically, and with a certain amount of effeminacy. So I can see why it may seem trivial or out of place if viewed in a certain context.

Dance of Death is simply too epic to dwell too much on seemingly out of place words, though.

Prowler_108 said:
Don't get me wrong, it's a great song, and it kills live, but in the studio its hard to ignore.

That grammatically doesn't make sense. You said "but in the studio it's hard to ignore" but I don't see the contrast to "it's a great song", I think you meant "and in the studio its hard to ignore", or maybe you meant "but in the studio its easy to ignore", because you started with "Don't get me wrong", as in to say you like it live, but not in the studio. Not a big deal though.

Haha i could have phrased that better what I meant is that live you can ignore the lyrics, but on the studio version it's hard to.

HallowedBeMyName said:
That grammatically doesn't make sense. You said "but in the studio it's hard to ignore" but I don't see the contrast to "it's a great song", I think you meant "and in the studio its hard to ignore", or maybe you meant "but in the studio its easy to ignore", because you started with "Don't get me wrong", as in to say you like it live, but not in the studio. Not a big deal though.

What he said made more sense than your correction. :p

I think just about everything off A Matter of Life and Death is amazing lyrically. Greater Good, The Legacy, Benjamin Breeg, and These Colours in particular. Though that said, there are single lines that really annoy me and make me wince. Think "E=mc[sup]2[/sup], you can relate". There are a few like that that are just painfully cheesy. A lot of the choruses are somewhat weak lyrically too.

HallowedBeMyName said:
Oh, I made sense, but I drew it out kind of lengthy and complicated-like haha

Okay, whatever you say even though I still can't wrap my mind around even the first sentence. What he said WAS grammatically correct (albeit missing a comma or two).

"E equals MC squared you can relate, how we made god with our hands."  what is wrong with these lyrics man?  This song rocks and the lyrics are right on and clever. Its a dark, eerie,  yet historical rendering about  the atom bomb and its horrible aftermath.  Not cheesy. Anything can look and sound strange when taken out of context.
    Compare this to "dream on sisters I hope you find the one."  That is  indefensible.  Please.  This thread has brought out some of the worst in some good Maiden Fans.

Back