Worst/Best Maiden Lyrics

Prowler_108 said:
The Apparition: Does anyone actually know what this song is about?

Well, an apparition is described as a ghost-like figure, and few lyrics lead me to believe that the track is about a ghost who is haunting a particular man he had died for, and questioning if his other "friends" would do that for him. I don't know exactly.

I know what an Apparition is, but it seemed like the song went from describing one to talking about Being yourself and motivational stuff like that.

Yeah, because the reality is that we're all on our own, no matter how many friends or known we are. That's kind of a revelation he had after dying and he's back to warn someone he has real concern about.

Jeffmetal said:
Yeah, because the reality is that we're all on our own, no matter how many friends or known we are. That's kind of a revelation he had after dying and he's back to warn someone he has real concern about.

Now that I'm actually going through the lyrics, couldn't have said it better myself  :ok:

Jeffmetal said:
Thank you Jeff the song makes much more sense to me now!  I'm gonna replace it with something else then, probably Wrathchild.  Great song, but the chorus is kinda cheesy and the verse lyrics are sort of melodramatic if you know what I mean.

No, prob Prowler, mate. :D Actually, The Apparition doesn't have a chorus. The thing I like in it is exactly that it doesn't have a chorus. It would've fucked up the meaning of its lyrics with a chorus.

Chorus' definetly can do that, and if i'm writing a song the main problem I always have is writing a good chorus.  I don't know if your a songwriter as well but if you are do you ever have that problem?  :(

Oh, I have. But I focus on melody, first. If the melody is good enough to be repeated, I know that some lyrics can be tagged along, but then comes another trouble - write, at least, decent and catchy lyrics for that melody. :lol: But it's good to excercise the chorus technique. Sometimes, the 'oh, oh, oh...' makes miracles, as in The Trooper.

Melody is extremely important as well.  I don't think writing a strong riff is the hardest part, I think finding a way to continue that riff throughout a song while staying interesting is the most difficult part.  I would still consider myself stronger at lyrics then music though.  ;)

Aha I see  :p
LooseCannon said:
I don't mind the "Age of Innocence" so much...especially the version sung by Nicko.

Probably the worst song, lyrically, aside from "The Apparition"...hmm. Tough call, but I'd have to go with either "Quest For Fire" or "Drifter".

"Paschendale" wins for best lyrics. Hands. Fucking. Down. Close runner-up? "Revelations".
I just think Maiden doing the motivational stuff is weaker for them then say, writing about war or mythology.  As far as the most consistent songwriting goes AMOLAD takes the cake IMO.  And while I like Drifter, the chorus lyrics are maybe the worst they've ever done.  :down:

Never liked that Davey jones b.s in running silent running deep.  and that god awful " dream on sisters..I hope you find the one..."  YUCK!

how about that stupid shiny machine motorcycle crap from here to eternity.  Embarrassing.

I love everything lyrically off piece and Powerslave.  And the "Golden Goose is on the loose, and never out of season" ?? Really??  That freaking rocks. Especially the way Bruce goes up and down with the lines.  Awesome lyrics and delivered with a bang!! Two minutes to midnight is a perfect 10, lyrics and all. 

Why not? I'd love to meet his sisters as they seem not like all the bloodsucking bitches I bump into all the time.

I personally can't stand the overblown 'social-political commentary' pieces that pop up from time to time (Age of Innocence, Childhood's end, Don't Look Through the Eyes of a Stranger etc...) It just sounds trite and contrived. I enjoy the music on those tunes, but I still cringe when I hear some of those lines...yikes.

While I understand that band probably gets tired of the 'comic book' metal tag with the history/fanstasy/literature escapist stuff, it is what they're known for and it does comprise their best stuff.  Infinite Dreams, Hallowed, Mariner, Paschendale etc....

I agree with you there, Age of Innocence is a bit too literal and perhaps naive. I also dislike Alexander the Great, way overrated. And of course, The Angel and the Gambler.

As for the best lyrics, to name a few randomly it would be Revelations, Sign of the Cross, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, For the Greater Good of God, Moonchild and Only the Good Die Young. El Dorado has also got very clever lyrics.

The lyrics to The Apparition are actually a decent life lesson, too bad that the musical arrangement isn't that good.

Hmm the worst lyrics would be:

Bring Your Daughter...: well it`s self-explanatory
Prowler : the beginning of the verse is so bloody cheesy and preety much non-maiden,but the music rules any way
Drifter : the same problem as with Prowler really..

the best:
Moonchild : just bloody awesome,it`s dark,mystical and haunting,fits perfectly to the whole album
2 Minutes To Midnight : strong words here and like the topic of the song
Brave New World : opening verse is really beautiful and the whole song sums a lot of images in my mind while listening to the words and how Bruce sings them
Lord Of Light: haunting opening and powerful verses

In general I prefer Bruce as a lyricist at least post-reunion. 

It's got to be Quest For Fire.  You can't get around the fact that Steve wrote lyrics that have dinosaurs and cavemen living together. 

In general I prefer Bruce as a lyricist at least post-reunion.  
[/quote]

I don't know if i prefer him, but I think he's more consistent then Steve.  The only really bad lyrics Bruce wrote were Bring Your Daughter..., while Steve had Quest for Fire, Tailgunner, Lord of the Flies, Fear of the Dark, Futureal, etc.

No love for Quest for fire?  the dinosaurs?  the vicious, angry battles?,  The forests and swamps of danger?  I fudging love that song, lyrics and all baby!!  Real funny line about the sisters man.  Gimme a break here.  That kind of line was made for a RATT song  or Cinderella.  Maiden should have never gone there.  Dinosaurs and cannibal tribes though?  Yeah that be  Maiden!!!

Back