Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Great Unknown

• The Book of Souls

• Tears of a Clown

• Total voters
Sooner or later, someone will say these are his two favourite songs ever, and what got him into Maiden in the first place, just wait and see.

Didn't vote on the B sides because theyr're not songs... they're merely jam sessions. That being said:
  • The Mercenary
  • The Fallen Angel
  • New Frontier*
  • Age Of Innocence (perhaps their worst 21st century song)
  • Shadows Of The Valley
  • Speed Of Light *
  • The Man Of Sorrows *

* Not a bad song ... only a bit lackluster.

Last edited:
Yeah, “Blood Brothers” isn’t all that great, and “Empire Of The Clouds” is bloated and overrated, though I still think that one has a lot going for it.

FTGGOG and WTWWB are fantastic, though — not sure what you’re smoking there.

Speaking of bloated and not all that great, what do you think of this version...?

WTWWB is one hell of a track and is one of my top 25 Maiden songs and FTGGOG is on my top 10 above several classics.
Now, Blood Brothers is a realy nice waltz with lots of ambiance and feeling.
as for Empire Of The Clouds is an excelent composition but just not my cup of tea. Just because I don't apreciate it it doesn't mean it's not a fantastic work.

Last edited:
My 2 cents:
DiAnno's era is simply amazing. The only lackluster I see in those 2 records is perhaps Twilight Zone (and it's far from being bad). 4 songs out of this era are on my top 20: Phantom Of The Opera is at my top 10 (duh) and so are Killers and Murders In The Rue Morgue.
That being said: 21st century Maiden also offered us quite amazing albums (hell: AMOLAD and TFF don't have a single song I can say "man just skip it!"). And also4 songs out of these 5 albums are included in my top 20 (FTGGOG is on my top 10). BNW is perhaps somewhat of an exception since it suffers from discombobulated structure - namely repetition and forced passages - on some songs (the title track, Dream Of Mirrors and Ghost Of The Navigator) and I really dislike Mercenary and The Fallen Angel (the later because of its awful chorus). But then again all the rest of the album is cool and some songs are really great. Regarding weak songs during the following 4 album stretch, IMO, I can only point 2 (Shadows Of The Valley and Ages Of Innocence - the worst out of these 5 albums) and a couple boring and uninspired ones (New Frontier, Speed Of Light and The Man Of Sorrows). And what's more impressing is that spree goes from their 12th to their 16th album! Most bands when they reach their 5th album are already quite repetitive and dull yet this guys 16 releases later still can give us something really enjoyable and, here and there, even fresh. That adds immense value to those records.
Now for all you contenders on the Di Anno vs 21st century Maiden war: compare any of those 7 albums to Virtual XI or Fear Of The Dark. Enough said.

Last edited:
@karljant I must say buddy, I actually choose Fear Of The Dark over most of the reunion stuff. There might be a song or two on BNW I like.

What I like about the DiAnno era is that its energetic, raw and fast and the reunion era is the exact opposite - meandering, long and a bit overcooked (as in using the same motif again and again.. and again).

My opinion on Maiden these days is clear as day: fuckin split up the band already, it's overdue. The money will still roll right in. Even I am a Maiden consumer and have bought their beers etc.

My opinion on Maiden these days is clear as day: fuckin split up the band already, it's overdue. The money will still roll right in. Even I am a Maiden consumer and have bought their beers etc.
You may not like their newer music, but do you enjoy their live performances? In my opinion, there is no reason to break up when they are still clearly on the top of their game when it comes to performing.

You may not like their newer music, but do you enjoy their live performances? In my opinion, there is no reason to break up when they are still clearly on the top of their game when it comes to performing.
But I cannot to the best of my ability imagine you playing Powerslave and then putting on, say, Final Frontier and going: Yeah, man, it's still as good as then. It's unfathomable to my mind.

Yeah, because Final Frontier is garbage. :lol:
Then to rephrase a tiny fraction:
But I cannot to the best of my ability imagine you playing Powerslave and then putting on, say, Book of Souls and going: Yeah, man, it's still as good as then. It's unfathomable to my mind.

Both of those albums are in my opinion better than Powerslave, but I completely understand why classic albums are praised so highly. I don't think that anybody denies the musical talent from the older albums. At the end of the day, it just comes down to personal preference. For me personally, the biggest reason why reunion era is my favorite era of Maiden is Bruce's slightly better vocals and the three guitars.

Back